Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:51 am

Harry Potter 
Post Harry Potter
Living with a Harry Potter fan seems to have rubbed off on me. Although I have not read any of the books they are ever-present in my house.

I have come to enjoy these movies quite a bit and they get replayed frequently. after getting to think about the series as a whole, I don't think there has ever been quite the progression that these movies have exhibited. The series started quite whimsically and has since turned darker. It has also allowed at least a segment of its audience to grow with the story and its characters, which I find fascinating.

After it's all said and done, the movies will be a great accomplishment. Maybe not on par with something like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but getting seven books (and eight movies) to the screen over the course of a decade with most of the principle cast intact (minus Richard Harris, of course) is nothing to sneeze at...and the films are very entertaining.

Thoughts?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 am
Post Re: Harry Potter
Good not great.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm
I'm a big fan and I always look forward to the movies since that's all we have now!

But I'm not that big on the Columbus movies

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm
I love the movies (well, 3-5, anyway) and I've never read the books. In fact, I saw Harry Potter 3 with friends who read the book; I loved it and they were disappointed. When I asked why they talked about some of the smaller details that were left out, or expository dialogue that was omitted. Similar friends have made similar complaints about 4 and 5 also, while I think each movie has been better than the last. The line I give my Harry Potter reading friends is that "I don't want to read an 800 page book, supposedly not even well written, if all it will do is dull my appreciation of three really fanstastic movies.

The last third of Harry Potter 5 was so good that my expectations for what the series can accomplish has completely skyrocketed--if they manage to keep raising the stakes over three more movies to build up to the final climax, this could end for me close to the level of a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars as a cinematic achievement.

Somehow they got it right 3 movies into the series and went the Batman-Superman-Bond reimagining route of hiring a great director to put his stamp on teh series. This has led to 3 excellent movies following the first two mediocre ones. I have no reason to think 6 and 7 and 8 won't continue this trend.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:24 pm
Bones wrote:
I love the movies (well, 3-5, anyway) and I've never read the books. In fact, I saw Harry Potter 3 with friends who read the book; I loved it and they were disappointed. When I asked why they talked about some of the smaller details that were left out, or expository dialogue that was omitted. Similar friends have made similar complaints about 4 and 5 also, while I think each movie has been better than the last. The line I give my Harry Potter reading friends is that "I don't want to read an 800 page book, supposedly not even well written, if all it will do is dull my appreciation of three really fanstastic movies.

The last third of Harry Potter 5 was so good that my expectations for what the series can accomplish has completely skyrocketed--if they manage to keep raising the stakes over three more movies to build up to the final climax, this could end for me close to the level of a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars as a cinematic achievement.

Somehow they got it right 3 movies into the series and went the Batman-Superman-Bond reimagining route of hiring a great director to put his stamp on teh series. This has led to 3 excellent movies following the first two mediocre ones. I have no reason to think 6 and 7 and 8 won't continue this trend.

But HP 3, 4 and 5 were directed by different guys. Even though I think the rest are going to be directed by the guy who directed 5 but I'm not sure, I know 6 is going to be.

Oh and as for the raising of the stakes....you have no idea how awesome it's going to be :twisted:

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm
Patrick wrote:
But HP 3, 4 and 5 were directed by different guys. Even though I think the rest are going to be directed by the guy who directed 5 but I'm not sure, I know 6 is going to be.

Oh and as for the raising of the stakes....you have no idea how awesome it's going to be :twisted:

Right, I find it interesting that they're now sticking with a director, but 5 was a great movie, so I'm ok with it (but damn Guillermo Del Toro would have been amazing).

I have been told this--and I don't want to know; I'm enjoying the ride as it unfolds in the movies. Also, are we sure that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Gary Oldman had to die, dammit?
I had that one spoiled for me, which is probably good, because the moment was so beautiful that I might have teared up if I wasn't prepared.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm
Yes, we are sure that your spoiler happened Bones

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 pm
Bones wrote:

I completely understand your friends, who didn't like the film because they had read the books first. The best thing about the books (at least what works best for me) is the charmimg description of everyday life in a wizarding school, which could not possibly be replicated in a film (maybe a TV series). Otherwise, I'm neither a fan of the movie series or the books. Does anybody share my impression that the writing got progressively clicheed and downright shoddy?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 pm
I would never have read the books if it hadn't been for Goblet of Fire (number 4), despite my family being Harry Potter nuts and several copies of each book lying around the house!

This was the movie that made me realise how much I was genuinly into the HP saga. Before that it had really been a sort of light hearted acceptance, like the way you accept the village idiot becuase he's quirky and occasionally makes you smile. The fourth movie however changed my mind, to the point where I was first in line at my nearest retailer for the Deathly Hallows (number 7).

The movies are well made and I do enjoy them, despite number 5 not quite capturing certain themes and motifs from the source text. When viewed as live action adaptations, they are winners.

If anyone hasn't read the books, I would strongly suggest you do!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:09 pm
Kudos to Rowling for making a packet of cash, but I found the books as nothing but a rehash of LotR in an almost tickchart fashion. The geeky one/the funny one/the wise old wizard/the evil wizard etc etc.

I'm not a fan of remakes/rehashes per se, so I avoided the films when they came out as well. Just not my thing.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 am
Wow baz....you hate everything don't you? :)

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:23 am
I don't everything, I just dislike rehashes of rehashes :D

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:33 am
I enjoyed the books. I remember I was in college during winter break on a vacation with my family, and I picked the first one up because I had nothing else to read. My brother was 7 years younger then me, and he loathed (still does!) reading--so my parents decided to try a Harry Potter book for him. (It never worked) I just finished Gone with the Wind for the 3rd time I believe--and was itching to read something new--so I picked it up and I was hooked.

I consequently read every one of her books (multiple times) and from the 5th one on went to the midnight release. My husband, who isn't a big reader, enjoys the books. (although he just reads them once) I have seen every movie with him-many of them on the opening night. A couple of them a few times in the theater. We also re-watch the DVDs often too. I have realized though that the favorite books of mine (particularly number 3) were my least favorite movies. And my least favorite books of hers (2 & 4) were high on my list of movies. I did particularly like the last movie though--because I can't stand Umbridge in the books--and was hoping that my absolute hatred toward that character would translate on the screen, and it did.

-Jordyn

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:28 pm
Movie 5 got me into the Harry Potter series after not really being that interested in the books or movies before that. I'm very interested to see how movie 6 turns out, as it is by far my favorite book, and has the biggest opportunity for a Harry Potter movie to be more "action"-y.

An observation a friend and I have made is that, when/if the Harry Potter movies are ever remade, the filmmakers will have the huge advantage of having the entire story to work from. That is the one weakness of the Potter series, to me; they were in such a hurry to make the film adaptations that important plot elements deemed unimportant have since proven to be just the opposite in regards to the "big picture".

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:36 am
I remember really enjoying the first movie. It had a certain charm and earnestness that few movies have nowadays and I can why the books are popular. The thing is, and I've never read any of the books, the main story seems so static to me. There have been, what, five movies released and yet nothing has really changed. Harry's still the chosen one and Voldemort is still this evil presence he has to fight. That's pretty much it. Every new story gives us new characters and different situations but I feel pretty certain saying I could watch the last one made directly after the first movie, skipping the rest, and not be particularly confused. Even though the newer ones are certainly better made (the acting is much improved) I don't find them any more memorable individually.

Of course, as I said I haven't read any of the books so I'm sure there's always the chance that everything comes together in the final few. Harry Potter the series is fun but I'd have a hard time telling you what actually happened in each movie. Maybe it'd help if I read the books or maybe I'm just just not as enthralled with the story as most others seem to be.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

masson223 wrote:
Movie 5 got me into the Harry Potter series after not really being that interested in the books or movies before that. I'm very interested to see how movie 6 turns out, as it is by far my favorite book, and has the biggest opportunity for a Harry Potter movie to be more "action"-y.

An observation a friend and I have made is that, when/if the Harry Potter movies are ever remade, the filmmakers will have the huge advantage of having the entire story to work from. That is the one weakness of the Potter series, to me; they were in such a hurry to make the film adaptations that important plot elements deemed unimportant have since proven to be just the opposite in regards to the "big picture".

Movie 5 is what got me into the series as well. I'd been dragged into seeing the 1st one with my younger sibling. I was on the outer cusp of being too old to enjoy childrens books when the first one was written. After watching movie 5 and having seen parts of Movie 3 I read some of the books and watched all of the movies.

The movies get better with each new one except Movie 4 which seemed weak to me because of a kindof hackneyed plot, more to blame on Rowling then the director, because the final sequence at Little Hangleton was amazing. I think the different directors also make them sort of piecemeal when taken as a series.

I think both HP and LOTR can be remade better then the originals and look forward 30 years from now to someone taking that task on.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:12 pm
Who else wants to see Chris Nolan do Harry Potter? I do.

That being said, I love the books. They're a big part of my early teenage years and it's hard to imagine my life without Harry Potter somehow influencing it. Alas, I'm not a big fan of some of the movies. The first two are okay and the fifth one didn't do anything for me. Cuaron's and Newell's efforts are my personal favorites, though I'd say part of that has to do with their status as my favorite books of the series.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:57 pm
Pedro wrote:

That being said, I love the books. They're a big part of my early teenage years and it's hard to imagine my life without Harry Potter somehow influencing it. Alas, I'm not a big fan of some of the movies. The first two are okay and the fifth one didn't do anything for me. Cuaron's and Newell's efforts are my personal favorites, though I'd say part of that has to do with their status as my favorite books of the series.

I don't really think Nolan would be the right choice for the material. #3 being my favorite, I would love to see Cuaron return, or see Guillermo del Toro get offered another shot.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 pm
Damaj wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I don't really think Nolan would be the right choice for the material. #3 being my favorite, I would love to see Cuaron return, or see Guillermo del Toro get offered another shot.

I think he would be. The Prestige shows he's got some sort of interest in magic and The Dark Knight shows he can handle dark material. He's improved his handling of action and he'd like to work in IMAX again. I don't know, he seems like a good fit. Working with a younger generation is probably the only thing he's not really adept at, but could be his next step in evolving as a director.

But hey, he's probably never read the series. XD

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:09 pm
I've never read the books though have seen all the movies. They have been progressively getting better but what's infinitely more important is how fine FINE Emma Watson turned out :mrgreen:

In the space of a few movies she completely changed from a dweeby annoying Hermione to something that's very... delectable...

Attachments:
Emma_Watson.jpg
Emma_Watson.jpg [ 181.65 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 pm