Talking about caves.

I simply love this man

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/20 ... eams-video

Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 1:19 am
Post Re: Werner Herzog is ....
...and now he talks about 3D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... -directors

Werner could talk about eating shoes for all I care, I'd listen to anything :-)

Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 am
He's like a combination of Chuck Norris and Christopher Walken. And he makes damn good movies.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:26 am
To complete the thread title, Werner Herzog is a God among men and an absolute badass.

As a filmmaker, he has one of the most consistently rewarding back catalogues in cinema. Whenever I watch one of his films, I can't help but want to venture out into the world myself and have my own adventures.

He also has an incredible way with words, and oftentimes his commentary tracks are just as interesting and enlightening as his films.

I can't wait till his new one comes to theaters in AZ. It will in all likelihood be my first 3d film since Avatar.

Last edited by Blonde Almond on Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 am
"It is not a significant bullet."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXqc8TQ15w

Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
To complete the thread title, Werner Herzog is a God among men and an absolute badass.

As a filmmaker, he has one of the most consistently rewarding back catalogues in cinema. Whenever I watch one of his films, I can't help but want to venture out into the world myself and have my own adventures.

He's also has an incredible way with words, and oftentimes his commentary tracks are just as interesting and enlightening as his films.

I can't wait till his new one comes to theaters in AZ. It will in all likelihood be my first 3d film since Avatar.

Yay,the Penguin sequence in Edge of the World
Getting shot at near an LA Freeway with Mark Kermode
The whole of Grizzly Man
and the.... his back catalog that make shim up there with Scorsese
and finally
cooking a shoe with Alice Waters
Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 1:37 am
Blonde Almond wrote:

I've seen this several times, but watched again anyway. Ken compares him to Chuck Norris. Here's the thing: everything about Chuck Norris is a myth. Everything we know about Herzog is real. We don't even have to make shit up. The guy was shot during an interview -- shot -- then he say's "It is not a significant bullet." and continues the damn interview. He's bleeding! You don't get more bad ass than that. And the great thing is that his legend is just the cherry on top. The man has made truly great movies.

Also, his voice over narration is pretty much unbeatable both for his choice of words and elocution. This man could read an owner's manual and make it sound interesting and that's no hyperbole.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I need to watch his newer films. I stopped at Cobra Verde (1988), having seen 8 of his films. Woyzeck and Aguirre are my favourites.

Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm
Freedom_Fryer wrote:
I need to watch his newer films. I stopped at Cobra Verde (1988), having seen 8 of his films. Woyzeck and Aguirre are my favourites.

Check out Grizzly Man and Encounters at the Edge of the World
Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 2:28 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I've seen this several times, but watched again anyway. Ken compares him to Chuck Norris. Here's the thing: everything about Chuck Norris is a myth. Everything we know about Herzog is real. We don't even have to make shit up. The guy was shot during an interview -- shot -- then he say's "It is not a significant bullet." and continues the damn interview. He's bleeding! You don't get more bad ass than that. And the great thing is that his legend is just the cherry on top. The man has made truly great movies.

Also, his voice over narration is pretty much unbeatable both for his choice of words and elocution. This man could read an owner's manual and make it sound interesting and that's no hyperbole.

Agreed, though some Herzog's actions make James Cameron look like a saint by comparison, one example: Klaus Kinski threatened to walk off the set because oh Herzog's unreasonable demands, so Herzog pointed a loaded gun at Kinski and threatened to shoot him if he walked off the set, talk about overreacting!

Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 pm
Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Agreed, though some Herzog's actions make James Cameron look like a saint by comparison, one example: Klaus Kinski threatened to walk off the set because oh Herzog's unreasonable demands, so Herzog pointed a loaded gun at Kinski and threatened to shoot him if he walked off the set, talk about overreacting!

I'm guessing you haven't read much about Kinski's on-set behavior, have you? If anyone in that relationship was crazy, it wasn't Werner.

Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm
In the magnificent documentary on Criterion called Burden of Dreams, there is considerable doubt thrown on this legend. i'm just damned if I can remember what Werner said.

But there were many major incidents between these two "best friends"

Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm
Director

Werner Herzog is....

among the greatest directors currently working. I always preferred his work over Jean Luc Godard's: it's far more cinematically visual, far more genuinely challenging, not as pretentious and far more entertaining.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon May 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo are two of the best films I have had the fortune of becoming lost in. As mad as their characters, hypnotic to watch, just thinking of the images gets me going.

Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo are two of the best films I have had the fortune of becoming lost in. As mad as their characters, hypnotic to watch, just thinking of the images gets me going.

Have to completely agree here (are you Cody? - Very cool self portrait!)
Herzog is a gift to us all
Rob

Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
(are you Cody? - Very cool self portrait!)
Herzog is a gift to us all

That he is but if the first sentence I quoted is a reference its unfortunately not one I get.

Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 am
I was actually thinking about making a thread about Herzog. Glad there already is one!
Over the past several months I've gotten into his work. I've known of him for the longest time and have seen a few of his films in passing like Rescue Dawn.

My love for his work was kick started when I saw Encounters At The End Of The World some months back. I can honestly say without hesitation that's it's now one of my favorite documentaries period. I also saw Grizzly Man and The White Diamond recently too. I find the The White Diamond to be an extremely underrated Herzog doc and film in general. I like how it's about many things like Encounters is...hopes,fears,dreams,regret and just life itself. It's a beautiful film.

I got 2 Herzog boxsets-one with some of his older films(it includes Even Dwarfs Started Small,Heart Of Glass,Lessons Of Darkness,Fata Morgana,Stroszek,Little Dieter Needs To Fly).
I've only seen 2 for the set Heart Of Glass And Even Dwarfs....and while I didn't care for Dwarfs I found Heart Of Glass to be really interesting. Herzog hypnotized the entire cast!

I'm ashamed to admit that I've yet to check out his films with Klaus Kinski but will very soon. Again I'm new to his work but I'm looking forward to he rest of his work that I haven't seen.

I saw Cave Of Forgotten Dreams recently at a film festival and enjoyed it quite a bit. For me though, it didn't grab me quite as much as the previous documentaries I mentioned above. The 3D was very good but gave me kind of a headache(as usual).

Wed May 04, 2011 3:02 pm
Producer

Well, this is a strange and worthy read: Werner Herzog forces Roger Ebert to watch the Anna Nicole Smith Show

Be sure to read it in his voice.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 am
Ken wrote:
Well, this is a strange and worthy read: Werner Herzog forces Roger Ebert to watch the Anna Nicole Smith Show

Be sure to read it in his voice.

Great reading! It reflects our European way of thinking: "what America (=California) is doing today, the world will do tomorrow". I don't think that we all are mimicking trends coming from America, I think that the current western society lives in a system which will go through steps and phases - inevitably. These trends simply happen to start earlier in the US (= Cali-beeping-fornia) because it is a younger, fresher country without the weight of medieval thinking and tradition - which stayed in the "old country". Yes, we are all about surface (beautiful people have it way, way easier than talented people, and a company image is more important than the quality of its product - market and consumer research my ass!|) and bullshit (the latest trend in "westernized" eastern philosophy as a way of seeking the "truth" - while in reality it is just trying to get out of the inexplainable misery with the added bonus that you can talk with friends about it and it is part of a cool lifestyle).
Not talking politics here! It is a fact that when you run a business, you need paying customers. Otherwise you need to fold it. Paying customers are the ones who want your product because they desperately need it. Marketing creates that need by tricking people into believing that a certain lifestyle, a certain kind of beauty and certain products make you happy. And for that they need unhappy people. It's a sneaky strategy - people in the business are talking about it very often (trust me, I work in that field).
Yet it is all inevitable. If a CEO or a creative director of an ad agency tries anything else based on actually helping people to be happy - he or she will lose their job in a split second. Easy as that. Don't blame California on the world's misery.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 am