Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:17 am

Brian De Palma 
Post Re: Brian De Palma
That just made me so excited :D

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:03 pm
Director

has anyone seen the movie that "Passion" is a remake of ?
"Love Crime" with Kristine Scott Thomas

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm
Producer

I like De Palma. The Untouchables is certainly a hokey film, but it's been a personal favourite of mine since I was about 9 years old. I loved Connery's and Garcia's performances. Great film, for what it is (i.e. somewhere between the Godfather and Bugsy Malone).

Looking through De Palma's bio is pretty impressive.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 am
Hugh, can you please explain to me what about The Untouchables appeals to you? I truly want an idea, because I just don't understand why it is generally so favorably regarded. I love De Palma but I hate this movie.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 am
Producer

The honest answer is that I watched it as a child and liked it then because it was so accessible, and looking back now I get all nostalgic about that fact. For this reason I probably don't see it objectively.

I am aware of its flaws though. The whole thing is a bit like a TV movie. De Niro's Al Capone is one of the most one-dimensional screen villains I've ever seen. There are paddling pools with more depth. Kevin Costner plays himself, just like he does in every film he's in. There are some truly comic lines. "He's in the car" anyone??!!

But still... still I can't help but raise a smile for it. :)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 am
Director

from the Variety review of 'Passion'

Quote:
"Passion" is an eye-candy parade of kinky couplings, slashed bodies, voyeuristic thrills, Hitchcockian allusions and Sapphic overtones -- which is to say, it's a new picture by Brian De Palma. Essentially taking Alain Corneau's corporate thriller "Love Crime" and sticking it in blood-red platform heels, this tarted-up English-language remake affords some modestly campy pleasures, but lacks the delirious trash-horror verve of De Palma's best work. Even the juicy lead pairing of Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace, which promises solid international play, can't quite make this lurid but lukewarm divertissement seem worthy of its title.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
The De Palma films that really didn't work for me were Mission Impossible and Mission To Mars. Those came off as too commercially designed to really work. They didn't feel like De Palma films. They felt like ANY director could've made them. De Palma is one director who's at his best when he takes risks and pushes the limit as far as he can go.

Shoot, I'd say the same about The Untouchables. It's not a bad film, IMO, but it seemed pretty calculated to me.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm
Producer

It helps if you think of The Untouchables as a cartoon.

Mere entertainment with no real intention of depth or character study.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 am
Director

Still no word on US distribution for 'Passion'

his next project is a bit surprising:

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: The Scarface team of director Brian De Palma and Al Pacino are re-teaming for Happy Valley, the working title of a film that will tell the story of Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno. Paterno’s legend was undone by revelations he and others in the football program were aware that former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was molesting children, and did little to stop it, supposedly fearing bad publicity for the powerhouse gridiron program they presided over. Wall Street producer Edward R. Pressman has optioned the bestselling book Paterno by Joe Posnanski. Dave McKenna (American History X and Blow) is making a deal to write the script. The Edward R. Pressman Film Corporation is backing the project.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/joe-pat ... py-valley/

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm
Director

I kinda wish De Palma would spend his old age making more stuff like Body Double, but maybe that sort of thing is in the past. Campiness is a tough trick these days.

Quote:
It helps if you think of The Untouchables as a cartoon.

Mere entertainment with no real intention of depth or character study.

Visually, this is how it works best. You just have to appreciate some of the vividness for its own sake. I'd say a lot of great movies have various aspects of that cartoonish quality. This one does seem a bit superficial, but the moments of dramatic ecstasy are pretty satisfying.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 am
Producer

The Untouchables touches some real highs.

It's a very accessible film as the characters are easily definable from word go. Their intentions are clear, easily understood and sympathetic and the performances from Connery (as the wise cynic who is reborn as an idealist), Costner (as Costner, but in a less annoying way than usual), and Garcia (as the strong, silent working class kid with a particular niche ability) are bang on the money in the context of the film.

But I suppose it's the context that people will either take to and appreciate, or reject.

It is a cartoon basically speaking; and whether people find that to be a good thing or a bad thing is subjective. Personally, I've always liked it for what it is, without feeling the need to compare it to any heavier gangster films.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am
Cinematographer

I'm not a huge fan, but then again, I haven't seen a lot of his films. And most of what I've seen, I haven't seen in a while. Either way, I do like some of them. Here's what I've seen...

Carrie (1976) Not a huge fan.

Scarface (1983) Meh, not a fan either. Most of all, I didn't like the over-the-top approach.

The Untouchables (1987) Need to rewatch it, but I remember liking it well enough.

Casualties of War (1989) I agree it's a very underrated film. Probably my favorite of the ones I've seen.

The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990) Another one I haven't seen in more than a decade. I remember it being quite dull.

Mission: Impossible (1996) Probably the best M:I film, maybe tied with Part III.

Snake Eyes (1998) Meh, a mess by the end.

Mission to Mars (2000) I didn't hate it as much as most people, but I didn't like it that much either.

Femme Fatale (2002) I remember liking this one quite a bit, but I haven't seen it in awhile.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Still no word on US distribution for 'Passion'

VOD August 1, theatrical August 30

new poster

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news ... new-poster

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:49 pm
Producer

I completely forgot this thread existed, or I would have mentioned that I watched Sisters recently. It's cartoonish at times, but I thought it was an overall solid suspense movie, with De Palma's Hitchcock fascination on full display. And as Threeperf mentioned earlier in the thread (years earlier!), the use of split screen is great. Not only is it not a distraction, but it actually enhances the suspense.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

[quote="NotHughGrant"]The Untouchables touches some real highs.

It's a very accessible film as the characters are easily definable from word go. Their intentions are clear, easily understood and sympathetic and the performances from Connery (as the wise cynic who is reborn as an idealist), Costner (as Costner, but in a less annoying way than usual), and Garcia (as the strong, silent working class kid with a particular niche ability) are bang on the money in the context of the film.

But I suppose it's the context that people will either take to and appreciate, or reject.

It is a cartoon basically speaking; and whether people find that to be a good thing or a bad thing is subjective. Personally, I've always liked it for what it is, without feeling the need to compare it to any heavier gangster films.[/i]

The problem with The Untouchables is that its a tonal mess, taking itself far too serious in some spots and flat rejecting logic and reason in others. No characters are anywhere near developed enough to either give a shit about their cause or their hyped up deaths or hate them enough to cheer their downfalls. Mix that with a sloppy screenplay and De Palma's lack of passion for the project and the end result was simply grating and tedious.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:49 pm
Producer

Snake Eyes, The Black Dahlia and Mission to Mars are underrated as hell, IMO.

But The Untouchables is his masterpiece.

The only movie of his I didn't care for that I've seen was Raising Cane. That and Carrie.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:54 pm

ilovemovies wrote:
Snake Eyes, The Black Dahlia and Mission to Mars are underrated as hell, IMO.

(Excluding Dahlia which I haven't seen) Yes.

same dude wrote:
But The Untouchables is his masterpiece.

Dressed to Kill and Femme Fatale.

ilovemovies wrote:
The only movie of his I didn't care for that I've seen was Raising Cane. That and Carrie.

I liked Raising Cain, it was a kind of a ridiculous mess but it was fun and well made; and it's climax was a far better recreation of Battleship Potemkin's famous Odessa Staircase sequence than The Untouachbles silly Union Station shootout. I honestly haven't seen Carrie since I was around twelve so I can't comment on that as of yet.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:09 am
Producer

Haven't seen Dressed to Kill or Blow Out (in case anyone asks) but, while I did like and enjoy Femme Fatale, it's definitely NOT better than The Untouchables.

My second favorite of De Palma's after The Untouchables is Carlito's Way. Followed by Casualties of War.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 am

ilovemovies wrote:
Haven't seen Dressed to Kill or Blow Out (in case anyone asks) but, while I did like and enjoy Femme Fatale, it's definitely NOT better than The Untouchables.

My second favorite of De Palma's after The Untouchables is Carlito's Way. Followed by Casualties of War.

but Femme Fatale had a point...

Also, I can't recommend Dressed to Kill enough. De Palma runs full steam on that movie and its a joy to watch.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 pm
Director

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/brian-de-palmas-films-ranked

Carlito's Way should be a tad higher, Casualties of War should be way higher and Mission Impossible should be A LOT lower. Otherwise it's on-target.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:13 am