Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 am

Who else did not like Slumdog? 
Post Who else did not like Slumdog?
I have no idea what the hype about this movie is about.
I read James's reviews because 95% of the time his tastes are intune with mine.

This movie cannot be any further from the truth.
I found this movie long and boring, not to mention extremely cheesy.

I found no purpose to watching this movie, i didn't feel for any of the characters.

I really wished i hadn't watched this movie.

Can you guys share why you loved this movie?
Who else hated this movie aswell?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:27 pm
Post Re: Who else did not like Slumdog?
I liked it a lot, for a few reasons. Mostly, though, it's such a classic story, rags-to-riches, infused with Dickens-like story patterns, emotionally effective, well acted. What you found cheesy I found endearing.

I do think the movie suffers a bit from the high praise its earned. Obviously every movie will have detractors, but I feel that this is the type of movie that can be pretty universally entertaining because of it's classic style. Unlike, say, Crash.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm
This review sums up my thoughts on it really.
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/reviews. ... naire.html

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:34 pm
Nope, disagree with you one-hundred percent. The hype is one-hundred percent understandable, as it's a crowd-pleaser. The movie's not that long and not that boring; it's edited in such a kinetic way that I don't get how it can be either. I wouldn't say it's cheesy, though it's got no delusions about not being the most realistic movie ever made. I'm sorry you didn't feel for the characters; I did one-hundred percent. Jamal is a character I can relate to in many different ways, while Salim is a character whose motivations I completely get.

Why is it worth loving? Because it uses filmmaking to tell wonderful story well. Every single element of Slumdog Millionaire is a top-notch effort, from the screenplay to the cinematography to the acting to the directing. It's got real emotional power, even if you didn't feel it. I did, and so did many others. I don't get why you hated it; it's not worth your time and energy to hate it.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:32 am
I didn't not like Slumdog; it was definitely a well-made film with a good message and nice sense of energy. But all it is to me was a good movie, and nothing more. Was it uplifting? I guess, but not to the level where I'm going to call up every friend I have and tell them to haul ass over to the theater on the double. I understand Slumdog's appeal, but for the life of me, I just didn't respond to it with the fervor so many are.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:42 am
A.J. Hakari wrote:
I didn't not like Slumdog; it was definitely a well-made film with a good message and nice sense of energy. But all it is to me was a good movie, and nothing more. Was it uplifting? I guess, but not to the level where I'm going to call up every friend I have and tell them to haul ass over to the theater on the double. I understand Slumdog's appeal, but for the life of me, I just didn't respond to it with the fervor so many are.

I totally get that. Maybe this is a bad example, but I saw Marley and Me with my mother and a friend recently. They both cried; I didn't. I wasn't a big fan of the film; I just wasn't moved in the same way they were. Maybe it didn't work hard enough and maybe I just couldn't relate. Some movies just don't work as well for some people.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:46 am
I thought it was a sweet movie, but undeserving of all the accolades. I think it's a three star movie through and through. Good... but, best picture? I don't think so.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am
I liked Slumdog, but I must admit, I thought it was a tad overrated. Maybe because I came in, with sky-high expectations, but I don't think it quite lived up to the hype. I really enjoyed the start, and the end of movie, but I just felt the middle section was a little flabby. I did find myself checking my watch, a few times druring the film, but I can see why people did like it so much: it was a unique type of film. For me, it probably wasn't anything more than a 7/10. The credit sequence was tremendous though.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:40 am
In immortal words of Chuck D and Flava Flav, "Don't Believe the Hype." Buying into the hype for any movie can be damaging to your perception of the final product. If you saw the movie after the Academy Award nomination, and the subsequent build-up of hype, I can see why you were disappointed with the film.

That said, please return to the movie about a year from now when it's all died down. I don't believe the movie will be considered a "classic" in years to come, but it's still an excellent piece of filmmaking that deserved the awards given to it.

After you understand the archaic nature of the Academy, you accept why certain movies get all the awards. Especially coming off a year where the Oscars were portrayed in a negative light for rewarding "depressing" movies. None of the other movies up for Best Picture had the potential to leave the viewer with a huge smile on their face.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 am
I saw it on its opening weekend, before the hype machine was in full effect. I think it's a very well made film, and obviously, very upbeat. The editing transitions are all very well done, especially the one after the montage with "Paper Planes" playing, where the brothers roll of the train and age in the dirt. The score, editing, and direction are all top notch.

As far as all the awards it's won, you have to look at the year it is in and what it is up against. I'm sure the fact that "depressing" movies have won the past few years, and the fact that the country itself it close to a state of depression, both had a lot to do with why Academy members voted the way they did. Then, take a look at it's competition. The other Best Picture nominees, I think, are relatively weak. The Reader doesn't deserve a Best Pic nomination in any year. I didn't see Milk, so I won't comment on it. Ben Button is a boderline Best Pic nominee in most years, and Frost/Nixon, while strong, is still a fairly average Best Pic nominee. The 3 movies with the most critical acclaim, The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, and Wall-E, were all shut out of the race. In most years, Slumdog wouldn't win, the stars just aligned for it this year. It was a hit, a feel-good story, and the hype machine took it and ran with it. Was it the best movie made in 2008? I don't think so, but since when has the Academy been about giving awards to the best movies?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:28 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I saw it on its opening weekend, before the hype machine was in full effect. I think it's a very well made film, and obviously, very upbeat. The editing transitions are all very well done, especially the one after the montage with "Paper Planes" playing, where the brothers roll of the train and age in the dirt. The score, editing, and direction are all top notch.

As far as all the awards it's won, you have to look at the year it is in and what it is up against. I'm sure the fact that "depressing" movies have won the past few years, and the fact that the country itself it close to a state of depression, both had a lot to do with why Academy members voted the way they did. Then, take a look at it's competition. The other Best Picture nominees, I think, are relatively weak. The Reader doesn't deserve a Best Pic nomination in any year. I didn't see Milk, so I won't comment on it. Ben Button is a boderline Best Pic nominee in most years, and Frost/Nixon, while strong, is still a fairly average Best Pic nominee. The 3 movies with the most critical acclaim, The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, and Wall-E, were all shut out of the race. In most years, Slumdog wouldn't win, the stars just aligned for it this year. It was a hit, a feel-good story, and the hype machine took it and ran with it. Was it the best movie made in 2008? I don't think so, but since when has the Academy been about giving awards to the best movies?

D. It is written.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm
I found it to leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Ok, it was well filmed and directed, but I found it to be quite a nasty little film and very much a chore to sit through. There was no one to sympathise with and no one to care for.

Simon Beufoy's far superior effort, The Full Monty was far better than this and featured likable characters. This had nothing but a 'Please like me. I'm a suppsed crowd pleaser' written all over it.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm
I do admit, i am a victim of the "hype" as i did watch it not before the Oskar's but well after alot of people have watched it and said it was good.

Perhaps me hating the film has to do with the fact that so many people think it was excellant.

However i still don't think this is a very good film.

spoilers highlight to read:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Perhaps it's the story, one of the biggest problems i had with the story was the fact that the reason that he knew all the answers was from complete luck. He might aswell have cheated since the questions were geared as a biography of his life which is impossible. Just by complete luck the millionaire host chose to structure his entire show over this guys life.

I didn't feel good about the movie either, at the end of it when he wins the million dollars or whatever it's like...so what!
Since when was money an indication of cliched happiness. Also the love story strewn into the story i thought did not work, i could not see Jamal's love for her to be any more then love that a brother and sister could have. When they embrace at the end it felt completely awkward.

Patrick EDIT: Use spoiler tags and only spoiler tags, but nice job on the color.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm
Humga wrote:
I do admit, i am a victim of the "hype" as i did watch it not before the Oskar's but well after alot of people have watched it and said it was good.

Perhaps me hating the film has to do with the fact that so many people think it was excellant.

However i still don't think this is a very good film.

spoilers highlight to read:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Perhaps it's the story, one of the biggest problems i had with the story was the fact that the reason that he knew all the answers was from complete luck. He might aswell have cheated since the questions were geared as a biography of his life which is impossible. Just by complete luck the millionaire host chose to structure his entire show over this guys life.

I didn't feel good about the movie either, at the end of it when he wins the million dollars or whatever it's like...so what!
Since when was money an indication of cliched happiness. Also the love story strewn into the story i thought did not work, i could not see Jamal's love for her to be any more then love that a brother and sister could have. When they embrace at the end it felt completely awkward.

Patrick EDIT: Use spoiler tags and only spoiler tags, but nice job on the color.

I think you misunderstand the caste system in India. The reason he is looked down upon by the host of the show is because he comes from the slums. If you're born in the slums of India, that's where you're supposed to die. You can't "move up the social ladder" like you can in North America. Even if you're reasonably intelligent, people look down upon you because of where you were born.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
So for Buddy to win the million at the end of the movie, it means his life, his children's life, and his family's life in general will be forever different. He's no longer from the slums, he has risen above his destiny and achieved something that nobody from his community ever will. It's uplifting to watch this kid get shit on the whole movie(literally at one point), and then make it at the end.

And as for the questions, and what some are calling "clichéd" moments in the movie, that's Danny Boyle injecting the "magic" of Hollywood into the movie. The reason you're so prickled about those moments is because "shitty" movies have been aping this type of Hollywood tradition since the city was born. So for some of us who recognize the difference between this movie and the others, the "clichés" fit right in with the style of movie, and enhance it, not detract from it.

Humga wrote:

That is an awful reason to dislike a movie. Hopefully you'll grow out of that mentality, you might miss out on something wonderful. I also don't want to be "that guy," but I'm guessing that you're a bit young based on the grievous spelling mistakes you make(use Firefox, built-in spell check). Maybe if you revisit the movie in a few years your opinion will be different.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 am
Jaimie wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

D. It is written.

Haha, precisely. :D

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 pm
baz1701 wrote:
Ok, it was well filmed and directed.... There was no one to sympathise with and no one to care for.

exactly the way i feel about it too. rahman's score and the editing make this movie all it is. but the script?? characters were stereotypes, the major romance,undeveloped. and it winning adapted screenplay?? just idiotic. there was dialogue(hindi) in there where i could easily see that danny boyle had no idea what they were saying. at one point, i was laughing my ass when i was supposed to be tense.
im ready to let the little things go, so i think it was a good movie, nowhere near as its being made up to be.
also i think PeachyPete makes an excellent point about it having not much competition.

on a cultural side note. and it is a side note
(i dont know if its a spoiler or not. it doesn't reveal anything but does give information about a character)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
even the biggest idiots who haven't seen shit, know that gandhi is on the 1000 rupee bill. the lead character didn't. and hes street smart. wanna know why?? cuz the screenwriter apparently didn't notice that he is on every other bill and some coins too.
i know its irrelevant and it sounds like nitpicking, but that kind of thing stops you from watching the movie and makes you think about the people who made it. and i wanna watch the movie.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:39 pm
Slumdog is one of those movies where, in my opinion, not liking the movie says more about the viewer rather than the film

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:49 pm
You may have a point in regard to that. The films a person likes and dislikes pretty much sums up their personality to a degree.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:58 pm
sevsoc wrote:
Slumdog is one of those movies where, in my opinion, not liking the movie says more about the viewer rather than the film

completely agree. but you see, none of us hated the movie. right after the first viewing, i thought is was a good movie. but you see hearing people go on and on about it, i just kind of always end up on the opposite pole. because it can be frustrating.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:44 am
wow!

I've seen it twice and preferred it more the second time.

It was my third favorite 2008 film of the 289 releases I have seen so far.

I spent a few weeks in India and the film wonderfully captures the noise, chaos, color and unusual charm of the place.

I am also a big fan of Danny Boyle ever since is saw Shallow Grave and of course, Trainspotting. I even liked A Life Less Ordinary.

I am at a loss how someone would not at very least appreciate and mildly enjoy this movie.

Rob

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 am