Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Road to Perdition? 
Post Road to Perdition?
I love this movie. It's easily one of my favorites from the past decade yet it seems nobody really mentions it much. It has a good IMDb rating, a good score from Rotten Tomatoes, and a big name cast and director, but it feels forgotten to me. So what's the deal? Am I alone in in loving it? Is it good but not noteworthy? Why don't people seem to love it as much as I do? I'd really like to hear your guys' opinions on it because I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't get more acclaim.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:30 pm
Post Re: Road to Perdition?
Definitely agree! I'm actually writing a paper on it for a class in college. Probably the best shot movie I have ever seen. And along with Hanks, Newman and Law, it also has an awesome Daniel Craig as well.

Terrific movie! I forget exactly what beat it at the Oscars the year it came out....was it Chicago?? I hope not...

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:46 pm
With a curious older feel to it I found it to have a magnificient outlook on characters. Father/Son relationships, loyalty, betrayal, and redemption being the obvious one. It took me several viewings to fully appreciate. Each role was perfectly cast, I'm usually unimpressed by Jude Law but found him eerily in place here. I think the movie also got a lot of nods from casting directors of the Bond Films for Craig. The kid was also very expressive in his silence, not having as much dialogue as a main character usually does. I have an old VHS copy looming somewhere, time to invest in a DVD.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:51 pm
I picked it up for 6$ at Best Buy.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:10 pm
I got it for $5 at Wal-Mart in the bargain bin....beat that :D

Seriously, this is a great film. Very underappreciated, and completely overlooked at the Oscars. It won for best cinematography (deserved), but missed out on even a best picture nomination. Newman was nominated for supporting actor, but lost to Chris Cooper for Adaptation (I say they actually got that right). This and American Beauty are the best Mendes has done IMO.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:39 pm
Aww man.....Best Buy screwed me out of a dollar!!

Seriously though, I was looking at the 2002 Academy Award lists. I think Gangs of New York and The Pianist are worthy, but Chicago, The Hours, and LOTR: Two Towers probably shouldn't have been nominated. I probably would have put Road To Perdition, Minority Report, and maybe Catch Me If You Can or Punch Drunk Love instead. I still can't believe Road To Perdition wasn't in the running for Best Picture!!

Also, I got to give a shout out to Thomas Newman, who is quietly becoming my favorite composer working now. Forget John Williams!! I need only to point to the scores in this movie, Shawshank Redemption, and WALL-E. These films are helped tremendously by the music!

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:17 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Aww man.....Best Buy screwed me out of a dollar!!

Seriously though, I was looking at the 2002 Academy Award lists. I think Gangs of New York and The Pianist are worthy, but Chicago, The Hours, and LOTR: Two Towers probably shouldn't have been nominated. I probably would have put Road To Perdition, Minority Report, and maybe Catch Me If You Can or Punch Drunk Love instead. I still can't believe Road To Perdition wasn't in the running for Best Picture!!

Also, I got to give a shout out to Thomas Newman, who is quietly becoming my favorite composer working now. Forget John Williams!! I need only to point to the scores in this movie, Shawshank Redemption, and WALL-E. These films are helped tremendously by the music!

Yet another year when the Academy Awards got it wrong. But heh? Can you imagine that all those films did not even get nominated and Chicago was best film? Chicago was good, but.....

I have only seen this once and need to see it again. I remember particularly beautiful cinematography with great black rendition, glorous mattes, rain shots..... Though I might be wrong. I don't think it's out on Blu Ray as yet? Might be wrong there too :-(

Good call!

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 am
It is a very good movie, second best of Mendes' career in my opinion. This also reminded me of the perfect music thread; now this is a movie with a fantastic score.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:56 pm
I love it. The scene with Hanks and Newman playing the piano at the wake is so moving; there are so many unspoken emotions floating around there.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:40 pm
I think one of the primary reasons why this movie did not receive Oscar recognition nor the popularity it deserved was the timing of its release. Road to Perdition opened in July in the US, which is unfortunately often too far removed from Oscar season for voters to recognize. However, I also feel Road to Perdition was particularly hurt by a summer release, as it is way too dark and dreary (both in subject and in style) for a summer release. The masses are looking for fun and light movies in the summer to match the upbeat feeling of the season, and this movie was sorely out of place along side the mind numbingly terrible romp in Reign of Fire and the cutesy Stuart Little. I love this move (it is in my all time top 100), but even I wished its release had been delayed until a November or December release to better match the dark and dreary time of year instead of the bright and Sunny.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:09 pm
Great, great movie. Tom Hanks, while retaining some of that "good guy" personality he's famous for, still played the creepy dad very well. And the score by Thomas Newman is just terrific.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:28 am
Outside of Cool Hand Luke I think it was the best film Newman ever did. For me anyway. I just really liked him and the entire film. Hanks really got back in my good graces with it too, by proving he can play against type now and again.

I have no complaints...the entire cast was superb, directed well, shot great...everything.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:32 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Outside of Cool Hand Luke I think it was the best film Newman ever did. For me anyway. I just really liked him and the entire film. Hanks really got back in my good graces with it too, by proving he can play against type now and again.

I have no complaints...the entire cast was superb, directed well, shot great...everything.

Hmmm.....

Can I suggest some other Newman performances that may trump Perdition?

The Hustler
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Sting
Butch Cassidy
Hud
When Time Ran Out

Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 am
I rewatched this yesterday, solely because of all the praise this was given earlier last week.

I think it's a brilliantly made film. All of the technical aspects are near flawless. The cinematography is obviously the highlight of the film. You can really see the time and effort that was put into almost every shot. I wonder if the death of Conrad Hall has had an effect on Sam Mendes. His work after American Beauty and Road to Perdition hasn't been as visually pleasing. I don't think he's found a cinematographer to match what Hall was capable of doing. The cinematography, music, and performances make this an almost perfect film. One of my only complaints was the voice-over from the son at the beginning and end. The movie works without either voice-over scene. You just flat-out don't need it. The end voice-over really bugged me, because it explains the motivations of the characters instead of just letting the audience figure it out. It's heavy-handed and a little condescending. Overall, I'd give this an 8.5/10. It's just so beautiful to look at.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 am
Extremely gorgeous film. Also an incredible score. And very good acting from Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Jude Law, and Daniel Craig. There is a scene, if memory serves, with the rhythmic crashing of waves that is about as tense as any scene I can recall off the top of my head. A very good film, but not one I've ever thought to rewatch for some reason. Maybe I will sometime soon.

Blonde Almond wrote:

I agree with you. Well, about Minority Report and Road to Perdition. But Two Towers and Chicago were both better than Road to Perdition, I thought. Gangs of New York, on the other hand, had no business being there, and the Pianist was good but not as good as Road to Perdition.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:53 am
I'm in full agreement here, a great film with every shot something you could frame and hang on a wall, and also love the score - beautiful. Haven't revisited it since I got the "big tv", really must do so soon.

Seeya,
nuxx.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 am