Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Do you recommend movies? 
Author Message
Post Do you recommend movies?
I am sure that because of our interest in movies we get asked by friends, family and colleagues to suggest either a DVD or a cinema trip. I am curious about how you go about such a challenge

Do you always recommend your favorite movie? So all your friends and colleagues are scratching their heads about the jump cut from a jaw bone to a space ship.

Do you always recommend top box office hits? You're the reason for the ongoing success of Paul Blart Mall Cop :-)

Do you try and recommend something that will suit the individuals taste? But what if you don't know the person well? maybe you get them to fill out a five page questionnaire?

I ask because about a year ago I moved into a very small close with six houses. Word has got out that I have a significant (over 1000) DVD collection, so I've become the local free rental shop. Yesterday early evening a mother turned up on my doorstep wanting a film to watch with her three daughters aged 6, 9 and 12. Her husband is away.

She was unsure about my recommendation but I had decided to follow our glorious leader and sent her off with Patton - I'm waiting to see how it went - just kidding :-)

Rob


Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
If I get asked about a recommendation for a film, it's pretty much exclusively by friends I know well enough to take their cinematic tastes into account. That doesn't keep me from sneakily attempting to "widen their horizons"/ "impose my own taste", e.g. recommending Werner Herzog's rescue dawn to a friend who likes movies about the Vietnam war.


Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:54 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
I'll go by what I like, although skewing the recommendations according to what I know of their tastes. If I have to do it cold I'll just throw out a spread of favourites in different genres.

If it's a recommendation for what's in the cinema right now, I'm not likely to have seen most of it, so I'll have to work with the picture the critics have painted for me instead of experience, but the process is the same.


Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:02 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Hmmm... I tend to just recommend films that I like personally, but try not to put too much thought into those recommendations, since people's movie tastes are varied and often can surprise you. People I know will watch movies that seem completely opposite what one would assume their taste would be, based on their personality. I had a co-worker recommend Man on Wire to me yesterday...and she always struck me as a Hollywood-blockbuster-Armageddon-is-the-greatest-film-on-earth type.

Erik


Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:04 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Just movies I like, there's no science behind it


Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
I think if you're an informed viewer, you have to factor in the person to whom you are making recomendations. If someone's favoriite movies are Die Hard and Shawshank and they think Jim Jarmusch is boring, I'm not going to suggest, say, Killer of Sheep.

Nothing grates me more than pretension in any form. Those that scoff at those with "low-end" taste in movies deserved to have their movie-watching privleges revoked. The bottom line is that we're ALL ignorant about something, we all have low-end, easily-digestable taste in something, and we don't like getting mocked. So I think it's essential to take into account the taste of the person to whom you are suggesting a film. On some boards -- not just IMDB -- people try to make the case that a "smart" person can't like certain movies, and I think that's bullshit of the highest order.


Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:42 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
I actually do try and ask a few questions of the person.

The first will be something like, what type of movies do you really like
Then I'll ask if they are looking for something heavy, light (beer and pizza movies is what I call 'em)
Then a key question - who will be watching (kid, granny, etc.)

I never recommend my favorite movies

For god's sakes, what hit rate would i have if I recommended Ozu, Bresson, Kubrick, etc to my neighbor
who upon answering the above questions realized that she liked Tom Hanks and wanted "something light that i'll like"

I ended up giving her "Catch Me If You Can" which she'd never heard of!

She dropped off the film a few minutes ago and said she loved it

Next up for her - Aguirre, Wrath of God :-)

Rob


Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:13 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
If someone asks you for a movie recommendation, you have two amazingly powerful things going for you. 1) The person actually wants your opinion! (I have never made it passed this stage.) 2) You can tailor your recommendation. The viewer is the most important element in the movie equation, and you have the chance to customize a recommendation. Even if you know the person well, you'll probably ask what genre they're thinking about--serious drama, comedy, horror etc. This can be movie "reviewing" at its best.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
JIMBELL wrote:
If someone asks you for a movie recommendation, you have two amazingly powerful things going for you. 1) The person actually wants your opinion! (I have never made it passed this stage.) 2) You can tailor your recommendation. The viewer is the most important element in the movie equation, and you have the chance to customize a recommendation. Even if you know the person well, you'll probably ask what genre they're thinking about--serious drama, comedy, horror etc. This can be movie "reviewing" at its best.


Hi Jimbell,

Welcome to the forum! I agree with everything you say.

I can't imagine that you've never been asked for an opinion on a movie to watch????

so....

What would you recommend i watch :-)

Rob


Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:58 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Shade wrote:
Nothing grates me more than pretension in any form. Those that scoff at those with "low-end" taste in movies deserved to have their movie-watching privleges revoked. The bottom line is that we're ALL ignorant about something, we all have low-end, easily-digestable taste in something, and we don't like getting mocked. So I think it's essential to take into account the taste of the person to whom you are suggesting a film. On some boards -- not just IMDB -- people try to make the case that a "smart" person can't like certain movies, and I think that's bullshit of the highest order.


I think you just became my personal hero, very well said


Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:31 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
I recommend movies to a lot of people.

Most often I just tell them that I liked something. Most of the time they know me well enough, and know my tastes well enough to take my recommendation as they would one from a film critic who they know well.

However, I also often qualify a recommendation. I tell someone, this was a very good film, but--and then offer up a reason why the film might not suit their tastes, or mainstream tastes in general (it's very long, slow-paced, etc.).


Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:07 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
she always struck me as a Hollywood-blockbuster-Armageddon-is-the-greatest-film-on-earth type.

Erik


HAHAHAHA that was good.

When I recommend movies, I almost always take in the person's own personal movie interests into consideration. While I find Before Sunrise to be a very good movie, I never recommend it to my male comrades. Most guys I know, unless they are film nuts like me, won't have appreciation for the delicacy and craftsmanship of a movie like that.

That's not to say every once in a while I won't recommend something out of left field to someone who has differed movie tastes. I recommended Requiem For a Dream to my cousin once, knowing she had probably never seen anything like it, and if definitely left her speechless.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:34 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Shade wrote:
I think if you're an informed viewer, you have to factor in the person to whom you are making recomendations. If someone's favoriite movies are Die Hard and Shawshank and they think Jim Jarmusch is boring, I'm not going to suggest, say, Killer of Sheep.

Nothing grates me more than pretension in any form. Those that scoff at those with "low-end" taste in movies deserved to have their movie-watching privleges revoked. The bottom line is that we're ALL ignorant about something, we all have low-end, easily-digestable taste in something, and we don't like getting mocked. So I think it's essential to take into account the taste of the person to whom you are suggesting a film. On some boards -- not just IMDB -- people try to make the case that a "smart" person can't like certain movies, and I think that's bullshit of the highest order.


LOL, I certainly hope I wasn't the inspiration for this post...I just hate Armageddon. :)

Actually, I quite agree with your assertion. I absolutely LOVE the Ocean's series, for example, even though they're nothing more than swanky popcorn films....and I always find myself watching Die Hard whenever it pops up on the premium channels. People watch movies for different moods...sometimes, we want to edified, lifted, inspired, depressed...other times, we just want to watch things blow up good.

Personally, I'm not peeved when a person doesn't have a good "taste" in movies (a subjective judgment if there ever was one)...I just get ticked when someone isn't open minded and willing to try new films. I know a certain someone that refuses to watch Woody Allen films because, well, he cannot stomach that he married his former stepdaughter. He's never actually watched any of the films...that, to me, is just plain ignorant.

Erik :)


Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:06 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
...and I always find myself watching Die Hard whenever it pops up on the premium channels.


I agree with your post here Erik, but let's get one thing straight; Die Hard is no guilty pleasure. It's one of the finest films of the 80's and about as much of a masterpiece as a pure action film can be.

Die Hard 2,3,and 4 on the other hand...


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:21 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
I too have over 1000 dvds and have at times become my friends and family's own personal Blockbuster. I have to say that I recommend movies based off of that person's tastes but also tend to recommend something that might expand their horizons a bit. If I know them well, chances are that they know my tastes at least a little bit and that means they know that in asking for a recommendation, they may get something they may have little exposure to. If I don't know them well, I usually ask a few backround questions before I give a recommendation. There are my standard movies that I get on my soapbox for and try to get as many people as possible to see and then the rest I just tailor to the individual's favorite genre etc.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:36 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
sevsoc wrote:
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
...and I always find myself watching Die Hard whenever it pops up on the premium channels.


I agree with your post here Erik, but let's get one thing straight; Die Hard is no guilty pleasure. It's one of the finest films of the 80's and about as much of a masterpiece as a pure action film can be.

Die Hard 2,3,and 4 on the other hand...


Die Hard 3 was almost as good as Die Hard 1! Die Hard 4 is entertaining in how over-the-top it is. Die Hard 2 is a POS


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
LOL, I certainly hope I wasn't the inspiration for this post...I just hate Armageddon.


Haha no, you were not the inspiration at all.

ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Personally, I'm not peeved when a person doesn't have a good "taste" in movies (a subjective judgment if there ever was one)...I just get ticked when someone isn't open minded and willing to try new films. I know a certain someone that refuses to watch Woody Allen films because, well, he cannot stomach that he married his former stepdaughter. He's never actually watched any of the films...that, to me, is just plain ignorant.


I do disagree slightly here, because again everyone has something in which they don't want to try new things (such as food). And I'm not sure ignorant is the right word. I've heard the Woody Allen argument before, and I actually don't mind it, because they aren't saying the movies are not worthwhile, only that they don't think they'd be able to enjoy them.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Back in the days of VCR's, I worked in a video store (high school memories...). Initially, I freely recommended movies to customers who asked, but after a few iffy results, I had to tailor my rec's to a person's tastes. This ran more toward the Schwarzenegger/Stallone section, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I loved Highlander at the time (still do), and one of my proudest moments was when an older gentleman watched it, brought it back to the store, and recommended it to another customer. Ha Ha!

These days, I'll still make suggestions, but I try to stay more mainstream. Some things you can't go wrong with: who wouldn't like Man on Wire?

Besides, I now have the advantage of online reviews to assist.


Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:09 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
When someone asks for a recommendation the assumption is, generally, that I know what the hell I'm talking about. When it comes to movies I most assuredly have no clue. There are people in this forum that understand things about movies: the context in which they were made, their impact, the nuances of the performances, the differences between the director, producer, cinematographer, and how these differences come together to make a movie special. Why is that one shot so incredible? Ask them.

In my experience, once people start hearing why I loved a particular movie, their eyes glaze over and they politely wait for me to finish. Is it me? Possibly yes. I've never used the term "guilty pleasure" because why would anyone apologize for something they liked? Does anyone really need to defend liking Xanadu or Cop and a Half?

So, no. I can't recommend movies to anyone but my reflection. This doesn't stop me from doing it on this board but, otherwise, I keep it to myself.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 am
Post Re: Do you recommend movies?
Shade wrote:
I think if you're an informed viewer, you have to factor in the person to whom you are making recomendations. If someone's favoriite movies are Die Hard and Shawshank and they think Jim Jarmusch is boring, I'm not going to suggest, say, Killer of Sheep.

Nothing grates me more than pretension in any form. Those that scoff at those with "low-end" taste in movies deserved to have their movie-watching privleges revoked. The bottom line is that we're ALL ignorant about something, we all have low-end, easily-digestable taste in something, and we don't like getting mocked. So I think it's essential to take into account the taste of the person to whom you are suggesting a film. On some boards -- not just IMDB -- people try to make the case that a "smart" person can't like certain movies, and I think that's bullshit of the highest order.


Excellently done, sir.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr