Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Perfect Music 
Post Re: Perfect Music
I found the music selection in The Departed to be awesome, very fitting with the rest of the film. Also, Close Encounters Of A Third Kind was pretty spectacular.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 pm
Pirates of the Caribbean had a very effective score - matches the mood of the film.

Atonement had a very interesting and effective soundtrack by incorporating the sound of the typewriter into the music.

What about song selection?
The scene in Say Anything with John Cusack holding a boombox playing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" is unforgettable. Makes me giddy ... I feel like falling in love every time I see that scene.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:17 pm
This is probably my all time favourite use of a song in a film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmfYlanyEg

Apocalypse Now + The Doors...how can you go wrong?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Some excellent suggestions so far. Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, how about "The Last of the Mohicans"? One of my favourite motion picture scores.

Agreed!

Morricone (The Man with No Name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, Cinema Paradiso) and Joe Hisaishi (lots of the Miyazaki films) are almost always great.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:33 pm
I also love Morricone's Razzie nominated score for 'The Thing'!

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 am
I was just watching Glory last night, and James Horner's composition of the final piece during the attack on the Fort is just spectacular.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:12 pm
a few things pop in my mind:

2001: all of it. perhaps the best marriage of classical music and visuals ever.
Fantasia: a whimsy 2001 technique
Wall-E: great song selection and score
Dick Tracy: sondheim is a genius
The Crow: what a great soundtrack. sets the mood, the setting, the characters... fantastic.
Almost Famous: yeah.
Once: close to a flawless unity.
Singin' in the Rain: uh, yeah
Halloween: carpenter you damn genius you

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:46 am
Apocalypse Now + The Doors...how can you go wrong?[/quote]

That’s true
The Godfather waltz is the second best I think

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 pm
The best use of preexisting music in a film is easily 2001. I'm at a loss as to what I'd say is the best original music used in a film, but Peter Gabriel's music for The Last Temptation of Christ is a great (and underrated) suggestion.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm
Thinking only in terms of previosuly recorded tracks...the first two movies that came to mind were Pulp Fiction and Snatch. Loved those soundtracks....

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:13 pm
What about Julie Delpy serenading Ethan Hawke at the end of "Before Sunset"? Perfect scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuV1KrvEYo

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:16 pm
I enjoy too many scores to name. But I was thinking about songs and how they're used in film. In fact I toyed with the idea of posting a thread similar to this. It is my humble opinion that David Fincher's use of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" in Zodiac is perhaps the best use of a song in a film I've ever seen. It sets up the first kill and the films conclusion perfectly. Brilliant move.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 pm
Ken wrote:
The best use of preexisting music in a film is easily 2001. I'm at a loss as to what I'd say is the best original music used in a film, but Peter Gabriel's music for The Last Temptation of Christ is a great (and underrated) suggestion.

I agree - Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ is one of the best. If you like Peter Gabriel, you should also check out the soundtrack for Birdy (1984 film by Alan Parker, with Nicholas Cage and Matthew Modine), which consists mostly of instrumental versions of songs from his fourth album.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 am
No one's said it, so I will. Shore nailed the LOtR score.

I love Tom Waits' score for Night on Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xTShS56HU). I also like Galasso's stuff for the In the Mood for Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QTiK7m1Yyo).

In terms of soundtracks, I love The Darjeeling Limited, Romeo and Juliet (1996).

But the best soundtrack of all time has to be the set of tunes Boyle put together for 28 Days Later. Between John Murphy's original songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1KJjqdalp8), Godspeed You! Black Emperor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9USJgkruTw), and Grandaddy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbtVmciKFY), I can't think of anything I'd do differently. Godspeed, particularly, was an absolutely inspired choice.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the marvelous incorporation of Mozart's music in Amadeus: One of my favorite films as well as an incredible score with incredible inspiration from one of the greatest composers who ever lived. Another movie score that a lot of people don't talk about is The Red Violin. I don't know if any of you have seen that but the theme for that film brings tears to my eyes and perfectly captured the essence of the film (although some of the actors did not)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 am
Cinematographer

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned To Kill A Mockingbird yet. That was fantastic.

Some others:

Into the Wild - Eddie Vedder (how can you go wrong)?
There Will Be Blood - this is what happens when you put someone from Radiohead in front of an orchestra
Atonement - amazing score. Typewriter was amazing, and when Kiera Knightley plucks out a final note from the keyboard she is leaning on... omg... amazing...
Shawshank Redemption - of course...
Requiem for a Dream
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight
How to Steal a Million - early John Williams
The Terminal - little known John Williams

And of course, the classics - Star Wars, Indy, Pirates, and LOTR.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:30 am
O.K. trying not to be original, trendy or cool (not saying that anyone here is), just what I feel:

My avatar (Bernard Herrmann) gives away about half of my list, so apart from this all-time genius:

"E.T." John Williams (basically anything he wrote, so I won't mention him again)

"Once Upon A Time In The West" Ennio Morricone

"Alien" Jerry Goldsmith - and risking my humble reputation: "First Blood (1982)" - (the "Patton" trumpet motif was great as well)

"American Beauty" Thomas Newman - until this day his marimbaphone notifs are imitated on many tv shows and movies.

"Spider-Man" Danny Elfman

"Peter Pan (2003)" James Newton Howard

"The Silence Of The Lambs" Howard Shore

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:53 pm