Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Perfect Music 
Post Perfect Music
Your opinions on great music in movies, score or song.

Personally, I'd say Goodfellas has about the best song selection to enforce the material.

I was also pretty impressed with Wall-E's use of music.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 am
Post Re: Perfect Music
Off the top of my head, I would argue that the score to the The Shining is perfect, along with The Dark Knight (does anybody else STILL get chills when hear the cello playing sul ponticello (near the bridge) when the Batman logo appears at the beginning?).

Erik

Last edited by ADayintheLife1979 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 am
Requiem For A Dream makes great use of a really unusual score throughout the movie. A lot of other movies have used part of the score in their trailers (including one of the Lord Of The Rings movies).

Goodfellas and Boogie Nights both make great use of pop/rock music from the periods in which they take place.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 am
Some of my favourite scores include:

The Fountain
The Assasination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
Heat
Requiem for a Dream
There will be Blood
The Mission

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 am
Movies that use their score/soundtrack really well:

Goodfellas
The Dark Knight
Do the Right Thing
WALL-E
Punch-Drunk Love
Requiem For a Dream
There Will Be Blood
Clerks.
Halloween
Waltz With Bashir

I'd make a list of scores/soundtracks that I could listen to in my spare time, but that list is harder to make.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:37 pm
Personally, I'd say Pee Wee's Big Adventure has about the best original score to enforce the material. My mind doesn't work like Danny Elfman's. To view some of those scenes and be able to say, "this is what the breakfast machine sounds like..." amazing.

Although I felt a little overdosed, Forrest Gump soundtrack drove the themes of each scene well too. I'm speaking of the soundtrack, not the score.

My opinion only.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 pm
I think the most perfect music in a movie was in Eyes Wide Shut during the orgy...it's set the mood so well.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 pm
I think it's pretty sad that the movie with the music that has had the most impact on me featured a crappy CGI/puppet dragon voiced by Sean Connery.
Movie name hidden if you want to take a guess. :)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dragonheart, score by Randy Edelman

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:10 pm
Pretty much any Michael Mann movie, specifically the Insider.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm
My favorite all-time score is Gettysburg. Just the right mix of quiet pieces and heroic ones. Really set the tone. Randy Edelman's finest hour.

Best soundtrack: The Crow. I've been listening to it for close to 15 years now, and it never gets old. Also does a great job of setting the tone of the movie.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:02 pm
Blade Runner.

Vangelis' score is just awesome. It just makes the movie for me. High tech, but with a lot of heart.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:50 pm
Moments in movies where I thought the music was absolutely perfect:

"Going the Distance" during the fight in Rocky,

The song that the Captain and the Doctor play to end Master and Commander,

Also in Master and Commander, the moment the doctor is shown on the stretcher at the Galapagos and the cello kicks back in on the Corelli piece,

The "Layla" sequence in Goodfellas,

"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" in Almost Famous.

And an obvious one: the end of Requiem for a Dream.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:14 am
Peter Gabriel's Passion - Music for the Last Temptation of Christ, to me, is the single greatest musical composition ever devised for a feature film. Sure, Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia and many, many others have more acclaim, but I've never heard a score that is more married to the material than Passion.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 am
Here are a few

Vertigo - Herrmann
Lawrence of Arabia - Jarre
Psycho - Herrmann
The Good The Bad and The Ugly - Morricone
James Bond Theme - Norman
Taxi Driver - Herrmann
Magnificent Seven - Bernstein
Braveheart - Horner
There Will Be Blood - Greenwood
The Crow - Revell
Shawashank - Newman
Blade Runner - Vangelis
2001 - Various :-)

Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 am
I think the score for Psycho was incredible. Also partial to The Untouchables, Requiem for a Dream, Suspiria and the score for The Omen. Not the crap remake either...the real one!! lol Probably more but I have had a long day...

Ave Satani is one of the most evil pieces of composition I have ever heard hands down.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 am
Damaj wrote:
Your opinions on great music in movies, score or song.

Personally, I'd say Goodfellas has about the best song selection to enforce the material.

I was also pretty impressed with Wall-E's use of music.

#1 all time for me is Morricone in 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'. Also my favorite movie ever.
Bernstein in 'The Magnificent Seven'
I thought 'The Truman Show' was brilliantly scored, especially the Philip Glass stuff
Zbigniew Preisner from 'Blue' -- the score was so important in that one
I liked Jerry Goldsmith's work in 'Alien' and 'Star Trek, The Motion Picture,' but I also loved his score in 'Hoosiers', so I'm probably just a sucker

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:34 am
Some excellent suggestions so far. Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, how about "The Last of the Mohicans"? One of my favourite motion picture scores.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 am
Tuco wrote:
#1 all time for me is Morricone in 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'. Also my favorite movie ever.

Absolutely. Ecstacy of Gold and The Trio are two of the greatest images-matched-with-the-perfect-music moments in movie history. Bonus points for coming within 5 minutes of each other in the movie. A powerhouse last 15-20 minutes.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:48 pm
It's a matter of taste in music, but I like many scores of blaxploitation movies:
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
Black Cesar - James Brown
Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye
Shaft - Isaac Hayes
Coffy - Roy Ayers
Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack
They are usually one (if not the) best aspect of the film and add a lot to the appeal.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm
Manhatten - Gershwin

Three Colors Trilogy - Preisner

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:29 pm