Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Woody Allen 
Post Re: Woody Allen
Pedro wrote:
Directors often have questionable favorites within their own catalog. Kubrick's favorite was Eyes Wide Shut and Coppola friggin' hates The Godfather.

First off, Eyes Wide Shut (which was finished a little after Kubrick died, so I don't quite know how it would be his favorite film) was an excellent movie. Also, since when has Coppola hated The Godfather?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 am
JJoshay wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Directors often have questionable favorites within their own catalog. Kubrick's favorite was Eyes Wide Shut and Coppola friggin' hates The Godfather.

First off, Eyes Wide Shut (which was finished a little after Kubrick died, so I don't quite know how it would be his favorite film) was an excellent movie. Also, since when has Coppola hated The Godfather?

From Wikipedia, "Jan Harlan, Kubrick's brother-in-law and executive producer, reported that Kubrick was 'very happy' with the film and considered it to be his 'greatest contribution to the art of cinema'." I'm sorry, but there's nothing in Eyes Wide Shut worth contributing to cinema, especially when considering what his other films have done for their respective genres.

Regarding Coppola, he came to SFSU once to give a Q&A and talk about cinema and stuff. I was close enough to see his balls sweat. During this talk, he noted that he doesn't have a whole lot of love for The Godfather. I'm sure part of it has to do with the nine thousands problems they ran into during preproduction, production, and post. And the fact that it was financed by the studio machine, and not at all a personal film. He once referred to it (elsewhere) as a "perfectly good drama". You know what else is a perfectly good drama? Eyes Wide Shut.

I think Spielberg has a similar opinion of Jaws.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:14 am
Pedro wrote:
From Wikipedia, "Jan Harlan, Kubrick's brother-in-law and executive producer, reported that Kubrick was 'very happy' with the film and considered it to be his 'greatest contribution to the art of cinema'." I'm sorry, but there's nothing in Eyes Wide Shut worth contributing to cinema, especially when considering what his other films have done for their respective genres.

Regarding Coppola, he came to SFSU once to give a Q&A and talk about cinema and stuff. I was close enough to see his balls sweat. During this talk, he noted that he doesn't have a whole lot of love for The Godfather. I'm sure part of it has to do with the nine thousands problems they ran into during preproduction, production, and post. And the fact that it was financed by the studio machine, and not at all a personal film. He once referred to it (elsewhere) as a "perfectly good drama". You know what else is a perfectly good drama? Eyes Wide Shut.

You would think that Coppola would have a bit more affection for the film that made his long and arguably unremarkable career (what stands out besides The Godfather trilogy and Apocalypse Now? I haven't seen The Conversation). It also seems unlikely that production problems would influence his opinion of the film (which Kubrick said he believed was possibly the greatest film ever made, and had without question the greatest cast) seeing how many more troubles he dealt with behind the scenes of Apocalypse Now.

Also, whats wrong with Eyes Wide Shut? Why do you find it so unsatisfactory?

Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:58 am
Jj, you should definitely seek out The Conversation, it deserves a place along with Apocalypse and Godfather. Great film.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:12 am
MunichMan wrote:
Jj, you should definitely seek out The Conversation, it deserves a place along with Apocalypse and Godfather. Great film.

I've been meaning to I just haven't gotten around to it yet (thats my excuse on way too many movies) >.<

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 am
JJoshay wrote:
You would think that Coppola would have a bit more affection for the film that made his long and arguably unremarkable career (what stands out besides The Godfather trilogy and Apocalypse Now? I haven't seen The Conversation). It also seems unlikely that production problems would influence his opinion of the film (which Kubrick said he believed was possibly the greatest film ever made, and had without question the greatest cast) seeing how many more troubles he dealt with behind the scenes of Apocalypse Now.

Also, whats wrong with Eyes Wide Shut? Why do you find it so unsatisfactory?

On Coppola: his seventies output is second to no American filmmaker (maybe Scorsese could be argued to the top). That said, I'm sure his comments are partially born of his seventies output dwarfing everything else he's done to the complete exclusion of several titles (Peggy Sue Got Married, a perfectly good movie, seldom gets the recognition it deserves). This is entirely speculation and is subject to getting thrown out in the face of proof otherwise.

As for Eyes Wide Shut: it's a fine movie that is just so damned close to brilliance that the weight of my disappointment rivals my admiration for it. As a stand-alone movie, forgetting about rising up or down within a genre, it's excellent. Kubrick was rightfully proud.

Sorry about that last one... I answered someone else's question. Eyes Wide Shut is too Kubricky to dismiss.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Great read, but I'm with the general consensus here - he's being way too hard on himself, and a little dismissive. I'm sure there are regrets he has in his work, but that certainly doesn't qualify his career as a failure. He's one of the more prolific filmmakers we're likely to see, and the majority of his films are of high quality. He seems like a pretty self-aware guy, so it's a bit surprising that he feels the way he does. I'd expect this line of thinking out of the characters he usually plays, not from the man himself.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Also BUMPed because this whole thread was a fun read ( :lol: @ Pete and Rob). Let's add something to it! Is Woody Allen really old and senile? With such a daunting filmography, will anyone attempt a Woody Allen project?

What kind of psycho would undertake such a project? Anyone who did would certainly get stuck trying to muster up the energy to rewatch Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask, after said psycho had to purchase the film blind. I hear blind buying moderately shitty movies pisses psychos off. Not that I would know, of course. Do yourself a favor and check out Crimes and Misdemeanors ASAP. It's unbelievable. Anyone who tells you otherwise is foolish.

I've alluded to it elsewhere, but Radio Days is criminally underrated. The beginning echoes Manhattan a bit, just without the spectacle. Still, it sets the movie as perfectly as Manhattan's intro does.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am
Director

Reviving this thread because I was discussing Woody elsewhere.

I'm not an Allen fanatic. I've watched numerous movies by him and enjoyed a good number of them. But I was never totally into his work the way I am into the Coen Brothers or Scorsese.

I agree with the general consensus that Annie Hall and Manhattan are classics. But that's as much for the dramatic elements as it is for the comedy. But I tend to prefer the zany Woody over the romantic one. My two personal favorites (not necessarily his best) of his are Zelig and Radio Days. Rented the former after hearing it referred to as a "satiric Forrest Gump". Saw the latter in 12th grade English class.

Of his attempts at straight drama, Crimes and Misdemeanors is the best.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 am
Producer

I haven't seen that many of Woody's films but of the ones I have seen the ones I liked best were Another Woman and The Purple Rose of Cairo are my favorite. I also think Scoop is incredibly underrated. I liked it a lot. Great performances from Hugh Jackman and ScarJo.

His absolute worst movie that I've seen is Bananas. I HATE that movie. I also wasn't too fond of Vicky Christina Barcelona. Such an overrated movie. Can't believe Penelope Cruz actually won the Oscar. She's okay in the movie and is actually one of the better parts of the movie, but it's still not an award worthy performance IMO.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 pm