Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Let Someone Else Choose Your Movie, Randomly 
Director

Post Let Someone Else Choose Your Movie, Randomly
Have Netflix? Have a large queue? Want someone else to choose your next title? Post here, say how many titles you have to choose amongst (eg 1-192). And let the fun begin.

Hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder here but I figured it'd be a good idea to let everyone practice what's been started in two other threads, even if it's just for a movie or two.

EDIT: I'm not seeking picks for myself--this is for you to to post that you're interested in other people choosing a movie for you!

Last edited by firefly on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 am
Post Re: Let Someone Else Choose Your Movie, Randomly
Man. Man oh man.

This trend of "randomly pick the next thing I watch" has to stop.

I supported it when Zeppelin proposed it because I respect Zeppelin and figured he'd make the best use of an idea that had absolutely no legs -- I believe in Zeppelin 'cause he's a writer's writer. I love writer's writers.

After reading the completely silly "The future of the Movie Club" thread (nothing personal, Josh) and seeing this thread... this forum shouldn't have any effect on my blood pressure.

STOP. MAKING. PLANS.

This goes for me as much as it goes for anyone. Watch what you'd like to watch and comment on it. If it isn't broken, why fix it? The Movie Club, as limited as the participation is, is a good idea that I still support. IN THE CURRENT FORM, NOT THE RIDICULOUS REVISED FORM. It is a TERRIBLE IDEA. But that's for another thread.

I'm starting to feel stymied by the swift changes and warring promises to do this, do that. I apologize to the user known as firefly for derailing his thread temporarily. Look at me: married to the admittedly awesome Exploitation thread (now removing mouth from own penis) and still drawn by the desire to respond to Pete's epic Cache post and other threads.

This isn't university. No plans, please.

Yes. I'm having a bad day. Yes, I'm in a bad mood. Yes, take what I say with a grain of pixel. Sorry again to firefly -- just watch what you'd like to watch and get arbitrary when you've got 5 equally seductive choices. Zeppelin is exempt because the idea was great... just that one time. That's it. And only because it was Zeppelin. The guy knows his strengths.

Also: name names. We aren't future godfather's of one another's children. The cloud of expectations isn't necessary for a forum of people that have yet to meet in person. PM like mad if you've got to be... gah! Monday, first day of the week, and things are looking bleak.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:

Also: name names. We aren't future godfather's of one another's children. The cloud of expectations isn't necessary for a forum of people that have yet to meet in person. PM like mad if you've got to be... gah! Monday, first day of the week, and things are looking bleak.

:?: :?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:35 pm
firefly wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

:?: :?

That's the correct response. The day was bad and I take it to the forum... it's what I do. Sometimes.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 pm
I'm with major here. This has to stop.

Pretty soon every poster is going to have his own individual thread where he watches a movie, then writes about it. What's the difference between that and a movie review website? Not much. Seems to be counterproductive to the purpose of a forum, no?

It's a fine idea in spirit that can be done by a poster here or there (maybe, we'll see about it though), but if the goal is to generate discussion I feel that it's something that will ultimately alienate the discussion. The already small forum (which I think is a strength, by the way) will be divided into cliques.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 am
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I'm with major here. This has to stop.

Pretty soon every poster is going to have his own individual thread where he watches a movie, then writes about it. What's the difference between that and a movie review website? Not much. Seems to be counterproductive to the purpose of a forum, no?

It's a fine idea in spirit that can be done by a poster here or there (maybe, we'll see about it though), but if the goal is to generate discussion I feel that it's something that will ultimately alienate the discussion. The already small forum (which I think is a strength, by the way) will be divided into cliques.

This was designed so everyone wouldn't be doing their own thread ;)

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:46 pm
No. 6

Sorry - I just could not resist :-) I'm a very naughty boy.

Rob

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 pm
Director

This was meant for other people to solicit a random pick...but heck, since you've chosen one maybe I'll take you up on it. My #6 title is The Chaser. Won't be able to watch it till tomorrow though.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:31 pm
I think this thread wasn't a bad idea. Perhaps the timing was off (and it's quite similar to this thread [reelviews.net]) but simply having someone else choose the next movie you watch is cool.

Incidentally, reading that thread I linked to reminded me that JamesKunz promised to watch The Big Lebowski. Come on, Jimmy. Do it for us. You'd make the whole forum happy! Don't you wub us anymore?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:47 pm