Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 pm

The Reelviews Female icon Challenge 
Post The Reelviews Female icon Challenge
We have been having a discussion about icons and Bones captured the mood perfectly

This is simple - Vote from this list for who you think is the most iconic female movie star

Katherine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe, Rita Hayworth

Add some commentary as to why - Sit back and see what happens :-)

Rob

PS - No whining that Reese Witherspoon failed to make the cut!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 am
Director

Post Re: The Reelviews Female icon Challenge
Out of those four, I'd go with Monroe in a heartbeat. Marilyn was - and still is in many ways - the personification of female sexuality. She may not have been a great actress, but as a symbol of lust, there are few who have compared over the years...and that includes Britney Spears and Madonna.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm
No Ingrid Bergman? You don't mention my favorite... okay, okay... I understand.

Marilyn Monroe is the go-to. Out of the four. The go-to out of the four.

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Out of those four, I'd go with Monroe in a heartbeat. Marilyn was - and
still is in many ways - the personification of female sexuality. She
may not have been a great actress, but as a symbol of lust, there are
few who have compared over the years...and that includes Britney Spears
and Madonna.

I like it and, what's more, it prevents me from having to write any more than this sentence.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:58 pm
and they're off with Marilyn Monroe ahead by a ..... :-)

Marilyn Monroe 2
Katherine Hepburn 0
Grace Kelly 0
Rita Hayworth 0

Rob

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 pm
Yep, I'm going with Monroe as well, if only for this alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQIvhotZSUw

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Marilyn Monroe is probably the most prolific female icon! The famous scene in The Seven Year Itch, JfK, playboy, her death... She exemplifies iconic!

The next down would be Grace Kelly just for her beauty and for being the princess of Monaco. Also her infamous untimely death in that Mercedes..

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:30 pm
Me too - She is nowhere close to my favorite actress, but she's the most iconic female star

Wow, 5 to marilyn Monroe and nothing to anyone else.

Rob

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Me too - She is nowhere close to my favorite actress, but she's the most iconic female star

Wow, 5 to marilyn Monroe and nothing to anyone else.

Rob

You picked well, Rob... Monroe is really the correct answer. She's not the greatest, not the sexiest but... iconic! "Happy birthday, Mr... President"

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:20 pm
I'll follow the leader and go with Marylin. She's truly an American icon.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:48 pm
I'm thinking this is going to be pretty close to unanimous. And yet, I (obviously) think those other three are the correct #2-#4. It's just that the difference between "most" iconic and everyone else is so huge here.

Count me for Marilyn. For the reasons everyone else said. Heck, almost for that Seven Year Itch poster alone.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:16 pm
Marilyn Monroe 8 the rest zip

Looks like we have a winner!
Rob

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Well I'd say Marilyn Monroe is the most iconic female in cinema history, but she isn't my favorite. By far. Never was. Please forgive me all: there's someting cheap and un-classy to her act (perhaps most men like that, I don't).

Regarding class and pure beauty Grace Kelly reduces her to nothingness IMHO)

And regardung sultry, sweltering, sizzling, natural, pure female sex, there is just one: Rita Hayworth (my personal fav.).

Am I a pervert or just a regular guy, saying all that?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Respectfuly Rob, this thread might have been more interesting if Monroe was excluded.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 am
Ratel wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

Respectfuly Rob, this thread might have been more interesting if Monroe was excluded.

But she wasn't. I guess you could make it the most iconic star if MM had never existed. A bit silly me thinks.
Rob

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Ratel wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

But she wasn't. I guess you could make it the most iconic star if MM had never existed. A bit silly me thinks.
Rob

Maybe. Here's the thing though: it's already a foregone conclusion that she wins something like this--look at the lead she has. But as to who is the most iconic after Marilyn, well, that's questionable.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 am
Have to go with MM.

And I think she's a better actor than some here give her credit for.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:08 am
MunichMan wrote:
Have to go with MM.

Another vote for Marilyn (two biopics of her come out next year and both sound like terrible ideas) and I'd like to second MM's thoughts on MM (wait, is MunichMan really Marilyn Monroe?). She was never any good at remembering lines and that's why she receives a lot of criticism as a terrible actress. However she had something and that something was captured by the camera in her performances. Truly an icon.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:26 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Have to go with MM.

Another vote for Marilyn (two biopics of her come out next year and both sound like terrible ideas) and I'd like to second MM's thoughts on MM (wait, is MunichMan really Marilyn Monroe?). She was never any good at remembering lines and that's why she receives a lot of criticism as a terrible actress. However she had something and that something was captured by the camera in her performances. Truly an icon.

Without wanting to be disrespectful in any way: can it be that her misterious and untimely death contributed to her status as an icon? Please do not through sharp objects at me, I am just supposing, not insisting upon! Was her acting range really that great? O.K. it's a long way from "How to Marry a Millionaire" to "The Misfits". But doesn't she play the same old ditzy bimbo to some variation in any role ever? In the acclaimed "Bus Stop" she even out-did herself in that discipline.

Amd: beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. But IMHO both Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth were way more beautiful with the latter being way sexier.

My vote goes to Rita Hayworth (and not just to be different - I mean it).

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Without wanting to be disrespectful in any way: can it be that her misterious and untimely death contributed to her status as an icon? Please do not through sharp objects at me, I am just supposing, not insisting upon! Was her acting range really that great? O.K. it's a long way from "How to Marry a Millionaire" to "The Misfits". But doesn't she play the same old ditzy bimbo to some variation in any role ever? In the acclaimed "Bus Stop" she even out-did herself in that discipline.

Amd: beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. But IMHO both Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth were way more beautiful with the latter being way sexier.

I agree! Her death plays a very large part in her icon status. Happens to anyone who dies young (see: James Dean, Kurt Cobain etc.). I also don't think that she's a natural beauty. However she oozed sex appeal like no-one else and imho that's why she was so worshipped.

P.S. I still intend to throw sharp objects at you. Just because.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
P.S. I still intend to throw sharp objects at you. Just because.

O.K I'll go get my protective clothing. Just a sec. ;)

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 pm