Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:46 am

Reelviews Movie Club, Say Hello to One Sir Barton Fink 
Post Re: Reelviews Movie Club, Say Hello to One Sir Barton Fink
I've seen Barton Fink 5 or 6 times now, I believe. I knew I loved it as soon as I saw it, I just wasn't sure why. It's definitely a movie that benefits greatly from repeat viewings. That can be said for pretty much all of the Coens' films, but this one especially.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Post Re: Reelviews Movie Club, Say Hello to One Sir Barton Fink
Appy-polly-loggies for my lateness but I was only able to check out Barton Fink last night. It was clear that the movie had a lot of metaphor and symbolism and while watching it I felt proud to pick up on some of it. Afterwards, however, I read the massive Wikipedia page for the film (have you guys checked it out? Probably the best wikipedia page for any movie) and came over here to read what you gents had to say.

Frankly, it all made me feel a little dim. There's far more stuff going on than I ever imagined. Bloandy's essay was very impressive and Pete, as is his wont, provided an "Oh Shit!" moment when he compared Barton's room to a head.

This has to be one of the richest films I've ever seen and also one of the movies I've devoted the most thought to. However, I must admit that I admired rather than enjoyed some parts of the story.

For instance, I was quite perplexed when Barton finally finishes the script and ends up in a USO dance with Army and Navy men. At first I thought it was ill-fitting and out of place but some time later (in the "Colonel"'s office) I realised that the Coens are referencing WWII. There were a couple moments like that for me. Confusing during the movie, but made sense in hindsight.

I suppose most of the criticisms are failings of my own. I still loved the movie (a lot) but I wish that some parts were more interesting at face-value. Nevertheless this is one that should be fun to re-visit ever so often just to see what pops up. 8/10.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm