Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:06 pm

What year do you consider some foreign/indie films? 
Post What year do you consider some foreign/indie films?
I'm sure many of you make lists/write reviews like I do, but many foriegn films don't find their way to America until later, and some independent films don't become available for months.

For example, The Class. Came out in France in 2008, LA/NY in Dec. 2008, but got a limited release in Jan 2009, many of us still can't find it. What year end list would you put that on? Do you just use your own judgement or what the majority of people think?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:48 pm
Post Re: What year do you consider some foreign/indie films?
I use IMDB to tell me what year a movie comes out

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:50 pm
That usually lists many years depending on the country

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 pm
When you see an IMDB link, it's the movie title followed by one year. That's the year I go by

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:57 pm
I understand that rationale, but then a movie like Penelope, who sat on the shelf for 2 years would be considered a 2006 film even though no one saw it then.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:07 pm
I don't have anything interesting to add here...but if I don't get to see a film until March or even April (like 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days and Lives of Others), then I will always consider it to be part of the following year. All of these films didn't technically open until latter year, if I'm not mistaken.

The Class is a 2009 film for me. As a teacher in the inner-city, I can't wait.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 pm
Brian wrote:
I understand that rationale, but then a movie like Penelope, who sat on the shelf for 2 years would be considered a 2006 film even though no one saw it then.

No! If it was on the shelf it's unreleased and shouldn't even be considered a whatever year it was done movie. It should be a whatever year it was actually released first

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm
The Class is a French film that came out in France in 2008. That's how I usually judge it. Even if came out in Zimbabwe in 2001, it's still a 2008 film because its country of origin distributed it in its country then. I reserve the right to edit a top ten list, largely because I miss a good film or two in a given year that has potential to crack the top ten. But that's just me.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 am
This has always been a touchy topic for me. Sometimes, I'll consider a film belonging to the year in which it was most widely released (i.e. I consider Oldboy a 2005 film). But I know that a lot of classic foreign films didn't reach American shores until decades after their original release; in those cases, I go by the release year in their native countries. Cheating? Yes, but I like to think my madness has a method. 8-)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:24 am
What is this really relevant to? The only thing it really matters for is the Oscars.
Therefore I consider the release year the same way the Academy does - year of release in some form in the U.S.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 am