Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman. 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Confirmed: Zack Snyder is directing Superman.
Superboy: What was I supposed to do? Let them die?

Kevin Costner: Maybe.

Oh Kevin Costner, you dick.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm
Director

Great trailer visually, but I really like the music from the Comic-Con one more.

Also, never understand how Superman Return didn't catch on, and some time ago I read what Singer has in mind for the sequel and am stunned at what could have been.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 pm
Director

patrick wrote:

I also wondered if this was a bit much.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 pm
Producer

What interests (and worries) me here is that they're incorporating the question of whether or not a presumably realistic society would accept an alien as its champion. This is dicey territory, because one of the conventions of the Superman myth is that he offers the people his faith and trust and they give him theirs in return.

If that sounds a bit naive, well, that's part of the fantasy. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's a bit like the Green Goblin turning out to be the father of Peter Parker's best friend. It makes absolutely zero sense in terms of logic--after all, New York City is densely populated and the odds are that the Green Goblin would not be somebody Peter Parker knew personally--but it makes perfect sense in terms of storytelling. It's such a dramatically satisfying idea that introducing logic would only damage it.

The idea of a Superman who is not accepted is very touchy, because if he isn't accepted, it's difficult to imagine him becoming accepted anytime soon without the involvement of an unacceptable plot contrivance. This was handled unsatisfactorily in the Birthright miniseries, which is a loose retelling of Superman's origin. Luthor's first-ever method of attacking Superman is to undermine his credibility before the public has a chance to become familiar with him. Given that it was a miniseries and had a deadline to get Superman into the public's good graces, they sort of scuttled the issue into the last few pages and it happened essentially by writerly fiat. The same issue was handled much better in the Justice League Unlimited TV series, which devotes an entire season arc to resolving the problem. Obviously, a two hour movie will not have that luxury.

patrick wrote:

The idea that Jon Kent might have ambivalent feelings about his son's destiny has been played with before. If they're going into that territory here, it'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

peng wrote:
Great trailer visually, but I really like the music from the Comic-Con one more.

It was from The Thin Red Line.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm
Producer

Apparently -

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Superman is

actually

a reporter

called

Clark

Kent

(sorry, I am a twat I know)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am
Director

Quote:
A few weeks ago we heard that an early screening of Man of Steel had taken place and the reaction was positive, and now JoBlo are reporting that a source of theirs - whom they trust explicitly - has seen the film as part of a number of screenings that Warner Bros. is holding to gauge fan reaction, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive:

more at

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/02/m ... ction.html

run time is supposedly 148 mins...

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
What interests (and worries) me here is that they're incorporating the question of whether or not a presumably realistic society would accept an alien as its champion. This is dicey territory, because one of the conventions of the Superman myth is that he offers the people his faith and trust and they give him theirs in return.

Old post I know, but yes I agree.

I mean, in a similar way of thinking, someone in the entire city of Gotham would deduct that Bruce Wayne is a prime candidate for Batman. I mean, we can instantly rule out the 99% of the population who are apartment sharing/too poor etc.

There is a danger of being overly realistic.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 am
Director

A 'warning' from General Zod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-J7FuxGf6I

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:24 pm
Director

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T6DJcgm3wNY

The third, probably final trailer. I must say I'm disappointed with this one. The cinematography looks astonishingly bland. The style doesn't look like Snyder to me, it looks like another Nolan movie. The action looks like a cluttered mass of CGI. And I don't really see Michael Shannon making a better General Zod than the original from the Richard Lester sequel. This doesn't look like the movie of the year to me. Looks like another overly-literal origin story. And not just Michael Shannon; there's not a single performance here that looks like it has any potential to top those in the original Donner movie. Superman of 1978 wasn't perfect, but the casting was outstanding.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

The third, probably final trailer. I must say I'm disappointed with this one. The cinematography looks astonishingly bland. The style doesn't look like Snyder to me, it looks like another Nolan movie. The action looks like a cluttered mass of CGI. And I don't really see Michael Shannon making a better General Zod than the original from the Richard Lester sequel. This doesn't look like the movie of the year to me. Looks like another overly-literal origin story. And not just Michael Shannon; there's not a single performance here that looks like it has any potential to top those in the original Donner movie. Superman of 1978 wasn't perfect, but the casting was outstanding.

I disagree, I think it looks really impressive.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Lulz...typical cook horseshit.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 pm
Director

Quote:
Lulz...typical cook horseshit.

Lulz; umph off

Last edited by MGamesCook on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Y'know, this looks like it could be fun. Especially after the last movie, which wasn’t as bad as some made it out to be, but just felt kind of flat and uninspired. I like seeing Michael Shannon in roles like this too. That guy is awesome.

But man, why is everything grey? Even when Superman is standing outside on a clear day, it's still so god damn grey. It's Superman, give me a bit of colour and brightness guys. I’m pretty sure all those explosions are happening in the trailer because nobody can see what the fuck is happening around them, because everything is either grey or in darkness.

I just feel sorry for Superman, since he gets his powers from the sun, and the sun on this earth must suck pretty hard.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 pm
Director

Quote:
But man, why is everything grey? Even when Superman is standing outside on a clear day, it's still so god damn grey. It's Superman, give me a bit of colour and brightness guys. I’m pretty sure all those explosions are happening in the trailer because nobody can see what the fuck is happening around them, because everything is either grey or in darkness.

Yes, this is an excellent point. It's what I meant with the cinematography comment.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm
Director

Quote:
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's an advance screening of the new "Superman" brought to you by ... Walmart?

Yes, moviegoers you read that right. The retailer announced Tuesday that it has partnered with Warner Bros. to give its customers exclusive access to an early screening of "Man of Steel," starring Henry Cavill as Superman.

This marks the first time a studio has partnered with a retailer to hold a special screening of a movie before the its official release, Jennifer Kron of Consumer Brands Group Golin Harris, said in an email accompanying the announcement.

Tickets for the screening will go on sale on May 18 at 8 a.m. in 3,700 Walmart stores. Customers will be able to purchase up to four tickets per visit for either the 2D or 3D showings.

The screening will take place in selected local theaters nationwide at 7 p.m. on June 13, one day before the general release.

Each ticket bought at Walmart also will feature a code on the back that allows customers to pre-order their own Blu-ray Combo Pack or HD Digital Download of “Man of Steel,” which will contain exclusive film content. Customers will also receive a free original Digital Comic Book written by “Man of Steel” screenwriter David Goyer.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/w ... teel-87536

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm
Producer

I'm sorely tempted, but even my all-time favorite fictional character isn't going to rope me into one of Wal-Mart's "exclusive!" marketing stunts.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 am
Producer

Saw a couple of still shots of this today.

"The look" looks interesting. Obviously they've abandoned the sunny, brighter feel that went with the older films and gone for something kinda noir-ish.

Cavill certainly looks the part. Let's see how it plays out.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 am
Director

new zod heavy trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Y6VmCA4Z4

Wed May 22, 2013 1:40 pm
Producer

I loathe this trailer. The modern trend of trailers that fade between blackness and quarter-second clips of the film in rapid succession is the worst thing ever. It shits on my brain through my eyeholes.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:49 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
I loathe this trailer. The modern trend of trailers that fade between blackness and quarter-second clips of the film in rapid succession is the worst thing ever. It shits on my brain through my eyeholes.

I think it looks pretty cool.

Wed May 22, 2013 5:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next