Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:44 am

Can we help Erik? 
Post Re: Can we help Erik?
Yes...City of God. How could I forget. Great movie. Good call etifupleez, rgill79.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:44 pm
Post Re: Can we help Erik?
El Laberinto del fauno: Visually interesting, thus probably not too shocking in Spanish.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Not too language oriented, IIRC. (I've watched it in Mandarin only once so far.)
Das Boot: Somebody already mentioned it. One of the best German movies, not too much speech, more atmosphere.
Nosferatu: The one from 1922. It's silent, so no subtitles, and the latest releases have the sepia/blue scheme for day/night, so not exactly black and white ;-)

EDIT:
Just read that Erik has already seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...
Also it's interesting that you've seen M. In my opinon it's one of the best early German movies. I would have recommended it, bit it's in black and white.

Also one of my favourite German movies is 23 - Nichts ist so wie es scheint. It has nothing to do with The Number 23, apart from the fact that in both movies protagonists become obsessed with the number 23. The German movie is about one of the hackers that hacked into US computers for the KGB. But I guess it might not be that easy to understand, and it works best if you experienced the mid-80s in Europe and especially Germany.

Now that I think about it, there are even more German movies... (Das Leben der anderen has already been mentioned)

Jenseits der Stille (Beyond Silence): James had a review of this one once. It's about the problems of a girl with deaf parents who wants to make music.

Die Feuerzangenbowle: An old b/w about a writer who is sent back to school when his friends find out that he was privately schooled. In Germany this is a classic and some universities show it once a year. Even my brother-in-law started to enjoy it after a few viewings, despite the fact that he doesn't understand German too well.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 am