Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Can we help Erik? 
Post Can we help Erik?
Hi everyone,

In a top ten movie thread we were discussing favorite movies and one of our members (ADayintheLife1979) produced an awesome top 100 English language movies and then mentioned that he was relatively new to foreign films.

Erik went onto say that he'd love to be recommended five foreign films to get him going. However, his wife has a phobia about black and white and subtitles so he feels he needs a gentle introduction.

I PM'd him to suggest a let's help Erik thread and he enthusiastically agreed.

So the question is. Can we suggest some movies to get Erik and his wife started. The challenge is not to suggest films that might put them off for ever :D

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 pm
Post Re: Can we help Erik?
More accessible/notable foreign films.

'Raise The Red Lantern'
'Farewell My Concubine'
'Three Colors Trilogy'
'Amelie'
'Downfall'
The works of Takashi Miike (in case he wants to change sleep schedules :lol: )
'Jean De Florette/Manon Of The Spring' - Two separate films, in sequential order. Excellent work.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 pm
Hero and crouching Dragon -for action and romance
Tale of Two Sisters and Ju-oin - For Horror

It's a start.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm
Try Kieslowski's "Three Colors" trilogy. The first one, "Blue", is a nice intro into subtitled films because the movie isn't very talky. "Blue" has incredible presence and atmosphere. The performances are excellent and the soundtrack is beautiful.

Or try "La Femme Nikita", a french action film.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm
The first Better Tomorrow's
Hard Boiled

The best of John Woo...also, you might want to get a divorce. Your wife is only holding you back :D

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 pm
Run Lola Run
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Life is Beautiful

Just a few that come to mind...

Edit: I forgot about the subtitle phobia. I believe these have dubbed versions, but I don't recomend it. Especially Run Lola Run.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:57 pm
Japanese anime like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Grave Of The Fireflies all have dubbed versions. This might be a good starting point.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm
These five are all very accessible; most of 'em will have English language tracks if you're subtitle-phobic. I'd start with one of these before moving on to more "serious" film-lover fare.

Brotherhood of the Wolf -- French; your garden variety period costume action drama monster intrigue political kung-fu thriller movie.

The Orphanage -- Spanish; fantastic ghost story.

Shaolin Soccer -- Hong Kong; hilarious underdog sports comedy.

The Host -- Korean; one of the best modern monster movies.

Life is Beautiful -- Italian; tearjerker comedy.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:14 pm
Thanks for the help, guys. Just to clarify, I'm not a total neophyte on foreign films (I think there are a couple in my top 100, in fact); it's just very much lacking in my repertoire. For the record, I have seen (just off the top of my head):

Run Lola Run (near Top 100 film, by the way)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Eat Drink Man Woman
The Seventh Seal
The 400 Blows
The Three Colors trilogy
In the Realm of Senses
M
The Nasty Girl (not as naughty as it sounds, trust me)
Various versions of Godzillas, lol

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking about. Incidentally, I hate dubbing...so does my wife, but she has difficulty with subtitles, as well...although she hates black and white, it doesn't bother me, and I can usually get her to sit through a b&w film a month.

Erik

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:16 pm
All five of my suggestions are in color, btw :)

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:18 pm
I don't believe I've seen any mention of this one - Peking Opera Blues may be the greatest Hong Kong movie ever made. ;)

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:19 pm
Talisker wrote:

Shaolin Soccer -- Hong Kong; hilarious underdog sports comedy.

The Host -- Korean; one of the best modern monster movies.

I'll second these, and add in Kung-Fu Hustle. Both versions (dubbed and subbed) are actually quite alright.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:25 pm
If you go for the artier side of things, Kim Ki-Duk's 3-Iron and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring should be gentle introductions by virtue of there being extremely little dialogue.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:38 pm
Das Boot is in color and has very little dialogue, so the phobias might be null and void. Unless of course she has a phobia against long movies. Then never mind.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:49 pm
Site Admin

Show Me Love (a.k.a. Fucking Amal) - a touching Swedish coming of age story that should be accessible to just about everyone.

More recently, Black Book and The Lives of Others.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Show Me Love (a.k.a. Fucking Amal) - a touching Swedish coming of age story that should be accessible to just about everyone.

If I mention the alternate title of the first one, that might peak her interest...thanks for the heads up!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:01 pm
Site Admin

ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:

If I mention the alternate title of the first one, that might peak her interest...thanks for the heads up!

The title isn't as salacious as it sounds. The place where the story takes place is the town of Amal, and the title is a reference to disgust about living there - like "Fucking New York City."

The movie is about a teenage girl who doesn't fit in and who falls in love with a popular girl. So there are hints of a lesbian romance but it's much more about the process of growing up when you're not a member of the "in" crowd. No sex to speak of and no nudity, so the alternate title could definitely be considered a tease.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Here are five from my collection:

Osama
Internal Affairs
City of God
Fearless
Lust, Caution

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:23 pm
Three Of My Favorites:

City Of God- Slumdog Millionaire before Slumdog Millionaire, but even better- more gritty, emotional, and intense. Imagine a show like The Wire, but in a foreign country such as Brazil, and you might have a tiny glimpse into the world of this fantastic film. When I watched it, I was in awe by the way it plucked me out of my middle class American couch, and into the grimy streets of the poor section of Rio. Awesome.

The Lives of Others- A German movie, very dark, but engaging all the while... reminded me a bit of Le femme Nikita, although the fact that it's simply a foreign film probably had to do with that connection. Plays like a U.S thriller, but it goes a little deeper, and it's a great spy movie, if you want to consider it to be that.

Infernal Affairs- Chinese movie about the mob. This is actually the film that The Departed was based on. While I prefer The Departed (it's in my top 15 all time, so I may be biased), this is an excellent foreign film, and at a certain point, you forget that there are subtitles all together.

Hope I helped

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 pm
Three Of My Favorites:

City Of God- Slumdog Millionaire before Slumdog Millionaire, but even better- more gritty, emotional, and intense. Imagine a show like The Wire, but in a foreign country such as Brazil, and you might have a tiny glimpse into the world of this fantastic film. When I watched it, I was in awe by the way it plucked me out of my middle class American couch, and into the grimy streets of the poor section of Rio. Awesome.

The Lives of Others- A German movie, very dark, but engaging all the while... reminded me a bit of Le femme Nikita, although the fact that it's simply a foreign film probably had to do with that connection. Plays like a U.S thriller, but it goes a little deeper, and it's a great spy movie, if you want to consider it to be that.

Infernal Affairs- Chinese movie about the mob. This is actually the film that The Departed was based on. While I prefer The Departed (it's in my top 15 all time, so I may be biased), this is an excellent foreign film, and at a certain point, you forget that there are subtitles all together.

Hope I helped

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:44 pm