Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Traumatic Scenes That Irreversibly Damaged You 
Post Traumatic Scenes That Irreversibly Damaged You
Ones that were indelible, at any rate.

I'm looking for particular scenes or shots that left a very firm impression on you, disturbing you so greatly that you saw the need to hide under your covers.

Bear Suit from The Shining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aLNa1RfkIY

It's the way Kubrick shot it, I believe. The quick zoom was effective in keeping me awake for several nights.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:52 pm
Director

Post Re: Traumatic Scenes That Irreversibly Damaged You
The dream within a dream in An American Werewolf in London.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm
There's a particular scene in Exorcist III that I find incredibly unnerving. The film is incredibly flawed, but it's the kind of moment that still makes me peer over my shoulder every once in awhile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 pm
Director

Major Aphasia wrote:

I'm looking for particular scenes or shots that left a very firm impression on you, disturbing you so greatly that you saw the need to hide under your covers.

It's the way Kubrick shot it, I believe. The quick zoom was effective in keeping me awake for several nights.

I totally agree. I first saw this when I was about 7 or 8, and, even though, it was edited for TV, that shot still disturbed the FUCK out of me. I averted my eyes during that part for years... it was only when I bought the film on Blu-ray a couple years ago that I actually watched that bit for the first time since then.

Probably worse, though, (and I'm certainly glad I didn't see this film in my childhood) is the revelation of the killer in "Don't Look Now."

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Probably worse, though, (and I'm certainly glad I didn't see this film in my childhood) is the revelation of the killer in "Don't Look Now."

The first time I saw that was, unfortunately, during a countdown on Bravo of the 100 scariest moments in film history. It freaked me out then, and it still freaked me out after I had seen the film in its entirety.

Don't Look Now was my pick for Berardinelli to review, so it should be interesting to read his perspective on the final moments.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:27 am
Director

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3m8wRVXWg

My opinion on Fight Club has been noted before. But this scene always has me gritting my teeth as I can imagine the pain Norton goes through from the chemical burn.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 am
In "The Toxic Avenger" when that kid's head gets run over and squashed like a melon. Haven't seen it since I was about 5 or 6, but it has lingered in my brain. Thanks Dad.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 am
How about the scene in Robocop when the mook gets doused with chemicals, turns into a big, shambling monster, then gets hit by a car and bursts like an overripe fruit? Let's go with that one.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:50 am
I must have been 6 or 7 when I saw this movie on cable... remember nothing about the movie (1982's Still of the Night) but had this scene seared into me:

http://movieclips.com/9gou-still-of-the ... nightmare/

Was mad at my dad for letting me watch it. It's still an awful image. Feh. Keep this one away from your kids.

--

The go-to hideous childhood-wrecker is this classic scene from 1978's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na2W38tLp_Q

HORRIFYING! Really love Veronica Cartwright's performance... exactly how I felt watching it the first time.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 am
Producer

Major Aphasia wrote:

Jeeeez that is chilling!!! Why have I never seen that before????

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 am
Producer

I first watched AWOL when it was released on video. I was 8 or 9 and the burning alive scene at the beginning has genuinly f*cked me up ever since.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:18 am
The living dissection in Robocop 2. Who thinks this crap up?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 pm
Director

seeing Kathy Bates naked in About Schmidt

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

The first time I saw that was, unfortunately, during a countdown on Bravo of the 100 scariest moments in film history. It freaked me out then, and it still freaked me out after I had seen the film in its entirety.

Don't Look Now was my pick for Berardinelli to review, so it should be interesting to read his perspective on the final moments.

I was also robbed of my surprise because of the Bravo countdown, but then, I also wouldn't want to have seen the film before watching the list (like a few other films). The first Top 100 was a very good list, solid choices front-to-back. Really great use of a televised list to enrich a viewer's interests in the thriller/horror genres.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm
I was a kid when I first saw the infamous scene in Alien where the alien spawn bursts out of Kane's chest. I wouldn't say it scarred me forever because I've long since become desensitized to violence (not to mention having seen much worse since then), but it did bother the fuck out of me for months afterward.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:06 pm
The 'eye-popping' scene in Jaws messed me up when I was a kid. So did watching Arnold pummel a half-naked man to death in Terminator (not, not Michael Beihn).

I was a such a little wuss when I was younger. I wonder what I might have thought about Clean, Shaven at the time...

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm
I didn't get around to watching horror films until I was a teenager, since my parents were pretty strict about what I watched whne i was younger, so I can't say there was any scene that "tramautized" me or anything like that.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:20 pm
Vexer wrote:
I didn't get around to watching horror films until I was a teenager, since my parents were pretty strict about what I watched whne i was younger, so I can't say there was any scene that "tramautized" me or anything like that.

I didn't see The Shining until I was high school, and while I can't say I was traumatized, that man in the bear suit certainly unnerved the ever living shit out of me.

This thread led me to watch Don't Look Now last night, and I feel like I need to watch it 3 more times to be able to fully appreciate it. The ending was pretty epic and definitely haunting but I was a little confused.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Pertains to the ending of the film, don't want to ruin it for anyone
I'm confused about the killer, was it some sort of evil spirit, or an old dwarf lady who just like to kills people?

Anyways, there are probably a lot of Twin Peak scenes I could pick, but the one I found incredibly disturbing (only after a second viewing of the series, mind you) is in the pilot, where the father identifies the body as his daughter... Makes my skin crawl.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:32 pm
Director

Major Aphasia wrote:
The go-to hideous childhood-wrecker is this classic scene from 1978's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na2W38tLp_Q

HORRIFYING! Really love Veronica Cartwright's performance... exactly how I felt watching it the first time.

Actually, I'd say the dog with the man's head was the far more traumatizing image from that film. :?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm
So last night I dished out some trauma of my own. The kids had watched "Wizard of Oz" and loved it. The flying monkeys, wicked witch, melting of said witch... none of that freaked them out. I thought 'they're ready' for one of my favorite movie scenes: Large Marge in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure". I pulled up a YouTube of just the scene where Pee Wee gets into the truck and we watched it on the PC (small window).
Oh Shit. I shouldn't have done that.
They both jumped and screamed. Loud. The older one nearly ripped my arm off. The younger one was clutching me, shaking and pouring tears out like a fountain. I had to sit with them for awhile; the younger one especially. She was freaked out pretty hard, snuffling and sobbing.
That was some bad judgement on my part. :oops: :cry:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 am