Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 am

Best Picture Nominees 2015 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Best Picture Nominees 2015
Here is what i believe the nominees will be for best picture. I have ten of them and there in alphabetical order.. Who knows how many there will be this year.

1) American Sniper
2) Boyhood
3) Foxcatcher
4) Fury
5) Gone Girl
6) Interstellar
7) Rosewater
8) Selma
9) The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
10) Wild

With these i predict its a four way race between Boyhood, Foxcatcher, Fury, Rosewater

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best Picture Nominees 2015
I'd bet everything I own that Boyhood and Foxcatcher are getting nominated. Mr. Turner is really close to a lock as well, and I'm certainly rooting for Grand Budapest Hotel, and I think it gets in.

After those, I think A Most Violent Year and Fury will be contenders, and Birdman might be a sneaky pick for lots of nominations. The "up to 10" thing makes the prediction game a whole lot easier, but I think the top 5 right now are:

Foxcatcher
Boyhood
Mr. Turner
Grand Budapest Hotel
Fury

And of course, I'm most excited about Inherent Vice, which could be a major contender or nowhere near that. We'll see.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:08 pm
Producer

Boyhood will definitely get an Indie spirit nomination but an Academy Award nomination? Not so sure.

Foxcatcher is definitely going to be nominated.

Unbroken screams Oscar from the trailer. And I mean that in a good way. I think the movie looks incredible.

Other films that I think are a big possibility:

Gone Girl
The Judge
Interstellar
Kill the Messenger
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Selma
Fury
Wild
Inherent Vice
American Sniper
Into the Woods
blackhat
Rosewater
The Theory of Everything
The Imitation Game

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:59 pm
Auteur

When The Game Stands Tall looks like incredibly blatant Oscar Bait(so much so that I cringed at the trailer)

Exodus looks absolutely atrocious, i'd be shocked if it was nominated for anything.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:16 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
When The Game Stands Tall looks like incredibly blatant Oscar Bait(so much so that I cringed at the trailer)

Agreed, but do you think the Academy will take the bait? Also having seen the trailer I feel like I watched the whole thing.
Vexer wrote:
Exodus looks absolutely atrocious, i'd be shocked if it was nominated for anything.

As a very liberal atheist I personally don't care what a film is about or on what it's based as long as the story and characters are engaging and the film is well executed. But this does not look good to me - reminds me a bit of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven crossed with Pompeii. Ridley really loves his swords and sandals, this will be his 3rd one. Be interesting to see what Christians make of it (I suspect that will be the core audience). I have yet to see Noah, but will be doing so one of these days.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm
Auteur

I'm also very turned off by Exodus due it's whitewashing of Egyptian history(I.E. all the main characters are played by white guys when historically the population of Egypt was and still is very ethnically mixed, and of course the few minority actors that are in the film are playing either servants or thieves, which pisses me off).

I'm not sure if the Academy will take the bait for WTGST, you generally don't see films with real Oscar potential released in August, so i'd be surprised if it got any nominations.

Noah was pretty bad IMO, by far Aronofsky's worst film, the story was not at all engaging, the action scenes were dreadfully boring and felt pointless, and it was definitely not one of Crowe's finest moments as an actor, in that film he just looked totally lost most of the time and seemed to reading all his lines off cue cards.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:35 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Noah was pretty bad IMO, by far Aronofsky's worst film, the story was not at all engaging, the action scenes were dreadfully boring and felt pointless, and it was definitely not one of Crowe's finest moments as an actor, in that film he just looked totally lost most of the time and seemed to reading all his lines off cue cards.

And there I was hoping you'd sell it to me :lol: .

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 pm
Producer

Boyhood, yes. The Before series has been getting some nominations in some categories, and Boyhood is one of those films where the director made an incredibly audacious decision that paid off big time. I figure it's got a director nomination, and with up to 10 best picture nominees, it would be a shocker if it didn't get a Best Picture nomination as well.

The rest, I'm not at all sure about.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 pm