Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Best Director Nominees 2015 
Second Unit Director

Post Best Director Nominees 2015
Here is what i believe at when the oscar ballots are cast to be the five best directors.

Richard Linklater: Boyhood
Bennett Miller: Foxcatcher
David Ayer: Fury
Angelina Jolie: Unbroken
Jon Stewart: Rosewater

Its really down in my opinion to a two way race between Linklater and Miller. Everyone else will be happy to be nominated.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:47 pm
Director

Post Re: Best Director Nominees 2015
Aren't we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves - have the Oscars become so cynically predictable you can correctly guess nominations before the films are even released?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm
Director

nitrium wrote:
Aren't we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves - have the Oscars become so cynically predictable you can correctly guess nominations before the films are even released?

They kind of are. Last year, I called it in September that 12 YEARS A SLAVE would win. The pattern of Fall = Serious Oscar Contenders has been honed to perfection over the past decade-plus. Maybe Mike is just making some early so he can brag if he gets them right.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
nitrium wrote:

They kind of are. Last year, I called it in September that 12 YEARS A SLAVE would win. The pattern of Fall = Serious Oscar Contenders has been honed to perfection over the past decade-plus. Maybe Mike is just making some early so he can brag if he gets them right.

I intend to invoke a discussion. If somehow that these are the nominees then yes i will brag considering that i called all the way out in later part of August.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm
Director

Quote:
They kind of are. Last year, I called it in September that 12 YEARS A SLAVE would win. The pattern of Fall = Serious Oscar Contenders has been honed to perfection over the past decade-plus.

I remember The Counselor, Labor Day, and The Book Thief being called Oscar contenders around this time last year.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:51 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
Quote:
They kind of are. Last year, I called it in September that 12 YEARS A SLAVE would win. The pattern of Fall = Serious Oscar Contenders has been honed to perfection over the past decade-plus.

I remember The Counselor, Labor Day, and The Book Thief being called Oscar contenders around this time last year.

Yeah and i hated all three.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 pm
Auteur

Big_Mike wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:

Yeah and i hated all three.

Counselor was meh, had some decent moments but dragged for way too long and had a pretty lousy ending.

Labor Day was mediocre in every way.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 pm
Director

Big_Mike wrote:
Here is what i believe at when the oscar ballots are cast to be the five best directors.

Its really down in my opinion to a two way race between Linklater and Miller. Everyone else will be happy to be nominated.

Linklater's got a very good shot. The other four, why?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

Linklater's got a very good shot. The other four, why?

A decent shot, maybe. Not certain at all, though. I had to look up Bennett Miller's filmography to find out why Foxcatcher is considered such a frontrunner. Even compared to Ben Affleck, Tom Hooper, Ang Lee, and Paul Greengrass, Bennett Miller has to be the dryest Oscar bait director working today.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
A decent shot, maybe. Not certain at all, though.

I think it's a lock. The format shouldn't be a factor, but it will be. I think it fits pretty squarely in an indie box the Academy likes to reward.

MGamesCook wrote:
I had to look up Bennett Miller's filmography to find out why Foxcatcher is considered such a frontrunner. Even compared to Ben Affleck, Tom Hooper, Ang Lee, and Paul Greengrass, Bennett Miller has to be the dryest Oscar bait director working today.

How, precisely, is Greengrass an Oscar-baiter? Or dry? I'm not a huge fan, but I don't get those accusations.

Nor do I get them for Miller. The limited evidence we have shows a real nurturing of actors and performances, a visual style, and thematic consistency. I'm not a fan of the term Oscar-bait because it's unclear in terms of whether we think that's a bad thing. Movies that are made for the purpose of Oscars are worthless to me, but Affleck, Lee, Greengrass and Miller have all made movies that are clearly not. It's a screwy term.

Hooper's pretty remarkable in that he always gets nominated and never deserves it. Oy.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:55 am
Director

Quote:
Nor do I get them for Miller. The limited evidence we have shows a real nurturing of actors and performances, a visual style, and thematic consistency. I'm not a fan of the term Oscar-bait because it's unclear in terms of whether we think that's a bad thing. Movies that are made for the purpose of Oscars are worthless to me, but Affleck, Lee, Greengrass and Miller have all made movies that are clearly not. It's a screwy term.

There are some directors who make films for one reason: to get Oscar nominations and/or critical praise. The films that get nominated for best picture aren't that diverse. It's not hard to find the pattern of the formula. What visual style does Miller have? I see none. Nothing remotely original.

Personally, I do think of Oscar baiting as a bad thing that results in empty filmmaking most of the time.

The descriptors "dry" and "bland" mean different things to different moviegoers. For me, it describes not simply the blandness of the execution, but also the fact that the film exists in the first place. For instance, Captain Phillips: just another Dog Day Afternoon hostage crisis, just another "based on recent incident hype" flick. Executed well? Arguably, but execution isn't everything, and in my opinion the material is just dry. I don't want to spend 135 minutes for something that isn't going to be surprising. I don't think good performances can ever carry a film by themselves. Capote and Moneyball? In terms of their own stories, fine. In terms of new ground they break in their genres overall, I don't see much. To me, that makes them bone-dry.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

There are some directors who make films for one reason: to get Oscar nominations and/or critical praise. The films that get nominated for best picture aren't that diverse. It's not hard to find the pattern of the formula. What visual style does Miller have? I see none. Nothing remotely original.

Personally, I do think of Oscar baiting as a bad thing that results in empty filmmaking most of the time.

The descriptors "dry" and "bland" mean different things to different moviegoers. For me, it describes not simply the blandness of the execution, but also the fact that the film exists in the first place. For instance, Captain Phillips: just another Dog Day Afternoon hostage crisis, just another "based on recent incident hype" flick. Executed well? Arguably, but execution isn't everything, and in my opinion the material is just dry. I don't want to spend 135 minutes for something that isn't going to be surprising. I don't think good performances can ever carry a film by themselves. Capote and Moneyball? In terms of their own stories, fine. In terms of new ground they break in their genres overall, I don't see much. To me, that makes them bone-dry.

But then this begs the question as to whether a film has to break new ground in the genre it represents for the film and its director to be worthy of being honoured. Or whether a film has to be surprising for it to be worthwhile.

If a film is well-made (i.e. well-written, well-directed, well-edited), with strong performances and an interesting story, shouldn't that film be lauded? I don't think it's realistic to expect that a film should only be praised if it is somehow revolutionary.

For example, Captain Phillips and Capote both tell very interesting stories which I found compelling, and the credit should go to the directors and actors who were involved. So the fact that films like these exist in the first place is very much a good thing as far as cinema is concerned.

I would also like to note that when we talk about "Oscar bait", this somehow implies that the filmmakers deliberately chose to make these films with the deliberate express thought and intention of somehow "bagging" an Oscar. That seems like a rather dubious assumption to make, because it implies a level of control over when these films are to be budgeted, released and such that in fact many filmmakers simply do not have.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
There are some directors who make films for one reason: to get Oscar nominations and/or critical praise. The films that get nominated for best picture aren't that diverse. It's not hard to find the pattern of the formula.

Absolutely agree.

MGamesCook wrote:
What visual style does Miller have? I see none. Nothing remotely original.

Those last two sentences have no relation to each other, though. Originality never equals quality as a rule.

Miller's style is what I appreciate most about him: he's never visually flamboyant, and he shoots almost exclusively observationally. He's certainly not making docu-dramas in a Dardennes Bros sense, but he's a filmmaker driven by story and not interested in getting in the way of that. You don't have to like it, of course, or value it, but his style is there and distinct.

MGamesCook wrote:

Absolutely. If we're defining Oscar baiting as "making a film simply to garner an Oscar" then I don't think any serious film fan would disagree with you. I just don't see your examples as Oscar bait at all.

MGamesCook wrote:
The descriptors "dry" and "bland" mean different things to different moviegoers. For me, it describes not simply the blandness of the execution, but also the fact that the film exists in the first place. For instance, Captain Phillips: just another Dog Day Afternoon hostage crisis, just another "based on recent incident hype" flick.

Every film can be described as "just another" something. I agree that it's not just execution, and that performances never carry a film (which is different than saying they never make a film watchable on their own).

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:45 pm
Producer

I think the front runners are:

Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
David Fincher, Gone Girl
Angelina Jolie, Unbroken
Christopher Nolan, Interstellar
Ridley Scott, Exodus: Gods and Kings
Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
Jean-Marc Vallée, Wild

Among others.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:00 pm
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
David Fincher, Gone Girl
Angelina Jolie, Unbroken
Christopher Nolan, Interstellar
Ridley Scott, Exodus: Gods and Kings
Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
Jean-Marc Vallée, Wild

I think all are decent best except Scott. That type of film from that type of director will need to be a massive critical and audience success to have a shot, and I can't see it garnering either.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:13 pm
Director

Birdman is getting RAVES. Iñárritu is a probable nominee.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birdman_2014/

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm
Producer

I don't know about director, but I definitely see Birdman getting a best actor and screenplay nod. Iñárritu was nominated before, right? I think Babel. He probably does have a good chance of getting nominated.

I, for one, can't wait for the movie. It looks fantastic. Plus, it's nice to see Keaton have a lead role again, and not just a small character/supporting role.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 pm
Director

After seeing Boyhood, I still think Linklater has an excellent chance of being nominated. Not only is the film getting universally good reviews (including mine), it has the 12-years-in-the-making going for it. If I'm not mistaken, the directors nominate in this category, and they have to love that.

Nobody's mentioned Into the Woods. It looks great, and the director has directed one best picture winner. It's one of my favorite stage musicals, so I'm prejudiced.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm
Second Unit Director

Big_Mike wrote:

Are we talking about THE Jon Stewart of The Daily Show (a brilliant combination of news reporting and hilarious satirical comedy)? Consider his roasting of the US Congress recently, as shown below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz32GChBnsM

BTW, if by any chance he does win Best Director, I would sincerely hope his acceptance speech will be memorably funny (rather than the usual dry, boring, and overlong rambling that has become the norm for the Academy Awards).

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am
Director

StatGuy2000 wrote:
Are we talking about THE Jon Stewart of The Daily Show (a brilliant combination of news reporting and hilarious satirical comedy)? Consider his roasting of the US Congress recently, as shown below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz32GChBnsM

BTW, if by any chance he does win Best Director, I would sincerely hope his acceptance speech will be memorably funny (rather than the usual dry, boring, and overlong rambling that has become the norm for the Academy Awards).

Yes, it's him: "Rosewater is a 2014 American drama film written and directed by Jon Stewart, based on the memoir Then They Came for Me by Maziar Bahari and Aimee Molloy.[3] Bahari's imprisonment is connected to an interview he conducted on The Daily Show in 2009; the authorities presented the interview as evidence that he was in communication with an American spy.[4] Due to the content of the film, Stewart has been accused by Iran's State TV of being funded by Zionists and working with the CIA.[5] The film is scheduled to be released in theaters on November 7, 2014."--Wikipedia.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:01 pm