Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
All actors should be drama school grads, not models who were in the right place at the right time. NO MORE TAYLOR LAUTNERS!

Outside of Twilight Lautner's actually an OK actor, i'd say no more Robert Pattison's instead, as he's a FAR worse actor, at first I thought it was just Twilight, but nope, he's been consistently terrible in every single film he's acted in, especially Cosmopolis, which may very be the single WORST performance i've EVER seen in ANY film, it's that bad.

Whaaaaaaaatttt?

Please don't try and make sense of that anyone. Eric Bana would find that hysterical.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:07 am
Director

I still feel that good acting is something that genuinely can't be taught; like anything else, you either have a true knack for it, or you don't.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 am
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I still feel that good acting is something that genuinely can't be taught; like anything else, you either have a true knack for it, or you don't.

I think it can be taught, some people just need significantly more teaching then others do, and Pattinson needs acting lessons BAD, I can't think of a worse actor then him, he's so wooden he makes Steven Seagal look like Tom Hanks by comparison.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I think it can be taught, some people just need significantly more teaching then others do, and Pattinson needs acting lessons BAD, I can't think of a worse actor then him, he's so wooden he makes Steven Seagal look like Tom Hanks by comparison.

I'd still watch Pattinson over anything with Katherine Heigl!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Not me! At least unlike Pattinson she actually knows how to show more then one emotion besides "bored stiff", even her most vocal detractors think she was good in Knocked Up.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:45 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Not me! At least unlike Pattinson she actually knows how to show more then one emotion besides "bored stiff", even her most vocal detractors think she was good in Knocked Up.

Debatable. The result is the same no matter what she "does:" FINGERNAILS ON THE BLACKBOARD!

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Debatable. The result is the same no matter what she "does:" FINGERNAILS ON THE BLACKBOARD!

Nope the result is most certainly not the same at all, how many of her films have you even seen?

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Assistant Director

Five: One for the Money, New Year's Eve, Knocked Up, Valentine, and Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

No movie can be rated R just for profanity. I'm not a parent, but seriously people, if the one thing you're worried about your kids seeing/hearing in a movie is foul language, you shouldn't be a parent. Violence, Drugs, Rape, whatever. If you don't want them to swear after seeing "A Few Good Men," here's a solution: TALK TO THEM! Spend time with them instead of having the TV be a babysitter while you get a blow job at the PTA meeting!

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
No movie can be rated R just for profanity. I'm not a parent, but seriously people, if the one thing you're worried about your kids seeing/hearing in a movie is foul language, you shouldn't be a parent. Violence, Drugs, Rape, whatever. If you don't want them to swear after seeing "A Few Good Men," here's a solution: TALK TO THEM! Spend time with them instead of having the TV be a babysitter while you get a blow job at the PTA meeting!

Dream bigger, darling, and abolish the rating system. Provide information about the movie's content, but not a restrictive rating

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:20 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Dream bigger, darling, and abolish the rating system. Provide information about the movie's content, but not a restrictive rating

I'm fine with a ratings system for informational purposes, as long as the rating doesn't restrict anyone from seeing the movie.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Steven wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I'm fine with a ratings system for informational purposes, as long as the rating doesn't restrict anyone from seeing the movie.

As long as there are categories, there is value judgment. Then there will be attempts to force things into various categories, as the categories pick up connotations and degrees of family friendliness, and then you get more movies like The Hunger Games which attempt to be anti-violence but show violence as not being violent.

There doesn't need to be a ratings system. Books don't have one, plays don't have one, why should movies?

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:50 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

As long as there are categories, there is value judgment. Then there will be attempts to force things into various categories, as the categories pick up connotations and degrees of family friendliness, and then you get more movies like The Hunger Games which attempt to be anti-violence but show violence as not being violent.

There doesn't need to be a ratings system. Books don't have one, plays don't have one, why should movies?[/quote]

Good point.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

If a character is important to the plot, we should see them. I was thinking about Black Book the other day, and my one concern with that film would be perfect for this thread.

I'm going to be vague for those who haven't seen the movie (and if you haven't, see it ASAP!). The climax involves a conversation about a few men who played a huge role in the film's central mystery. We know who all the players are except for one, whom I'll call Person A. Person A has never been mentioned before and is never shown in a cutaway. This led to much confusion and is just plain sloppy storytelling. An audience has to know who all the players are before the end of the film (but not necessarily how they all fit together...leaving that to the end is almost always preferable).

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

If you walk through the hall of the average public junior high/middle school/high school here in the States, it would get an R rating, by the MPAA's current standards... yet these kids can't see with 2 'fucks' in it without adult supervision. :|

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:26 am
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

If you walk through the hall of the average public junior high/middle school/high school here in the States, it would get an R rating, by the MPAA's current standards... yet these kids can't see with 2 'fucks' in it without adult supervision. :|

The MPAA is made up of a bunch of bumbling dumdums who wouldn't know their own asses if the helicopter parents didn't tell them where to look.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Director

^^^^^^ That may say more against the intelligence and maturity of the kids than it does against the MPAA.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:25 am
Assistant Director

No movie can assembled based on marketing reports. Seriously. You can't add or change a story just for marketing purposes. It's always so painfully obvious and phony.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

There [b]MUST be a minimum ten year window between the last film in the franchise/original and remake/reboot/whatever.[/b]

Seriously, 5 years is too short a time between Spidey 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man. And ten years is too short for what is essentially a play-by-play remake of the original with a few details changed.

You can't keep rebooting a movie hoping it might fly.

Hollywood, no one liked the Fantastic Four movies. Leave them be.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
There [b]MUST be a minimum ten year window between the last film in the franchise/original and remake/reboot/whatever.[/b]

Seriously, 5 years is too short a time between Spidey 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man. And ten years is too short for what is essentially a play-by-play remake of the original with a few details changed.

You can't keep rebooting a movie hoping it might fly.

Hollywood, no one liked the Fantastic Four movies. Leave them be.

I disagree, I for one enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies and i'm looking forward to the new one.

Sony essentially only did ASM so they could keep the movie rights(if left alone too long Sony's ownership of the rights expires) and because they didn't want to wait for Raimi to come up with a script for another sequel, I liked ASM but it did seem a bit soon.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next