Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Robert Holloway wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Digital photography needs heavy photoshopping to look half decent (it even created new "styles" like desaturated images and the likes, not to mention heavy airbushing). Bring back the true art in real film until you come up with a digital technology which looks pleasant.

With the greatest respect you obviously are not a photographer

Digital has opened up a new world. having spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in dark rooms, Photoshop and the output of a high end DSLR is a godsend

Rob

Have to agree with Rob here, good sir.

I see your point, Threeperf, in that digital tools have allowed people to alter their images to make them "better" than they really are. That said, I firmly believe that real photographers (and people who truly appreciate and understand the medium) like Rob, myself and perhaps some others around here can tell the difference. I love this artform because the difference between a great photo and merely a photo is so subtle yet so important.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 am
Shade wrote:

I see your point, Threeperf, in that digital tools have allowed people to alter their images to make them "better" than they really are. That said, I firmly believe that real photographers (and people who truly appreciate and understand the medium) like Rob, myself and perhaps some others around here can tell the difference. I love this artform because the difference between a great photo and merely a photo is so subtle yet so important.

Never a truer word spoken. It's like the difference between great and good movies. A very fine line.

I just spent an hour on the phone with my girlfriend editing her shots via shared screen on the mac.

She has a Canon 5D2 and is a very good photographer, but editing really does make the difference

Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:12 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Shade wrote:

Never a truer word spoken. It's like the difference between great and good movies. A very fine line.

I just spent an hour on the phone with my girlfriend editing her shots via shared screen on the mac.

She has a Canon 5D2 and is a very good photographer, but editing really does make the difference

Rob

Nope I'm not a professional photographer. I studied photography, but that was very long ago and technology has changed dramatically. I don't have any problem with digital technology at all. I work exclusively within computers when composing/recording/producing/mixing music. The problem is that digital (the way it is at te moment) doesn't sound good (in an artistic way) - so we have to spend hours and hours of editing and effects processing until it sounds "analog".
Unless we are talking recent hi end cameras, the unaltered photoraphy of a digital camera simply looks bad.
Of course I love photoshop (altering people to make them look prettier is a different topic and it could as well be made with scanned-in analog photographies) - my 'problem' is the image capture itself.
I know that technically digital is now way superior to analog and modern video cameras even have some kind of film look, but the colors are still horrible, they look like a candy store, there IS quantization going on. I would love to see the day when the color resolution (=depth) is really convincing straight out of the camera. Then we CAN do what we want and tweak away in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro/Adobe Premiere etc. But don't HAVE to, to transform something raw and non-organic looking into something decent.

I am not whining, wanting the "old days" back. Analog involves a lot of mechanics and there is no way to make a lossless copy of anything.
The music industry didn't go south because of digital. It was the fault of greedy people who owned the labels, lobbyism and "taste dictatorship", blocking out many a great band with lots of followers - but nobody knows them because it doesn't fit into the world the corporate heads created. BTW: analog is back in the music industry. Many record shops have now brand new 180g vinyl records. On a good turntable they sound so good (even though the music is produced iun digital - but with much higher resolution than standard audio CDs), that all you can say is: now we are taking! Sure you can get the same result by bringing out hi res CDs (SACD exists long ago, but it never really made it - in part because the corporate heads invested more in crapy surround sound music as opposed to good old stereo in hi res. Bottom line: digital didn't destroy anything in the music industry - it was one bad decision after another which did.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Shade wrote:

Rob

Nope I'm not a professional photographer. I studied photography, but that was very long ago and technology has changed dramatically. I don't have any problem with digital technology at all. I work exclusively within computers when composing/recording/producing/mixing music. The problem is that digital (the way it is at te moment) doesn't sound good (in an artistic way) - so we have to spend hours and hours of editing and effects processing until it sounds "analog".
Unless we are talking recent hi end cameras, the unaltered photoraphy of a digital camera simply looks bad.
Of course I love photoshop (altering people to make them look prettier is a different topic and it could as well be made with scanned-in analog photographies) - my 'problem' is the image capture itself.
I know that technically digital is now way superior to analog and modern video cameras even have some kind of film look, but the colors are still horrible, they look like a candy store, there IS quantization going on. I would love to see the day when the color resolution (=depth) is really convincing straight out of the camera. Then we CAN do what we want and tweak away in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro/Adobe Premiere etc. But don't HAVE to, to transform something raw and non-organic looking into something decent.

I am not whining, wanting the "old days" back. Analog involves a lot of mechanics and there is no way to make a lossless copy of anything.
The music industry didn't go south because of digital. It was the fault of greedy people who owned the labels, lobbyism and "taste dictatorship", blocking out many a great band with lots of followers - but nobody knows them because it doesn't fit into the world the corporate heads created. BTW: analog is back in the music industry. Many record shops have now brand new 180g vinyl records. On a good turntable they sound so good (even though the music is produced iun digital - but with much higher resolution than standard audio CDs), that all you can say is: now we are taking! Sure you can get the same result by bringing out hi res CDs (SACD exists long ago, but it never really made it - in part because the corporate heads invested more in crapy surround sound music as opposed to good old stereo in hi res. Bottom line: digital didn't destroy anything in the music industry - it was one bad decision after another which did.

Hi there

Getting off topic - The top Canon and Nikon cameras along with the new Fuji X100 are remarkable devices. Having shot film for many years the main area that digital has not caught up with film is Dynamic range. But it's getting there and software solutions like HDR are making inroads as well.

The best thing digital did was get people back taking pictures.

Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 pm
I'm pretty much the only one who cares about this but I'm disappointed by the lack of "real" tears in cinema. Technology has become so good that most of the tears you see today are CG tears. Call me old fashioned, but the ability to cry on film should be a job requirement for most actors.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'm pretty much the only one who cares about this but I'm disappointed by the lack of "real" tears in cinema. Technology has become so good that most of the tears you see today are CG tears. Call me old fashioned, but the ability to cry on film should be a job requirement for most actors.

How on earth can you tell that they're CG?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm
Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

How on earth can you tell that they're CG?

Well I'm nowhere a 100% certain when I see the tears but I read an article some time ago where it said that it's an open secret that Hollywood is doing this and the frequency is increasing. However, actors, producers et al. discourage the discussion of the practice. Since then I try to pay careful attention. Usually you can't tell by the appearance of the tear but by the way it rolls down the cheek.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:43 pm
Well I tend to miss stuff like that, 9 times out of 10 I can't tell the damn difference, so I REALLY couldn't care less about something like that.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:44 pm
Just two rules:

1) Enough with all the sequels and remakes.
2) No more movies based on comic book superheroes. Since the late 90s, there has been a huge number of these. Some have been good and some have been bad, but the number of bad ones has easily outnumbered the good ones.

Considering the amount of money, time and talent that gets tied up in these movies, I think those could be used better elsewhere.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm
domani wrote:
Just two rules:

2) No more movies based on comic book superheroes. Since the late 90s, there has been a huge number of these. Some have been good and some have been bad, but the number of bad ones has easily outnumbered the good

Unlike other genres, in which good easily outnumbers bad.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 am
Ken wrote:
Unlike other genres, in which good easily outnumbers bad.

After seeing a number of them over the past decade, superhero movies have gradually started to feel puerile and repetitious to me. I still remember the excitement of seeing Spider Man when it opened, but haven't felt like that about one in years. Even with the best in the superhero genre - such as Christopher Nolan's Batman movies - I'd still prefer to see the time and money spent on more of his non-Batman movies like Memento, The Prestige and Inception.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 am
Assistant Director

domani wrote:
Just two rules:

2) No more movies based on comic book superheroes. Since the late 90s, there has been a huge number of these. Some have been good and some have been bad, but the number of bad ones has easily outnumbered the good ones.

Considering the amount of money, time and talent that gets tied up in these movies, I think those could be used better elsewhere.

THANK YOU!

Whatever happened to creating new characters and stories?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
domani wrote:
After seeing a number of them over the past decade, superhero movies have gradually started to feel puerile and repetitious to me. I still remember the excitement of seeing Spider Man when it opened, but haven't felt like that about one in years. Even with the best in the superhero genre - such as Christopher Nolan's Batman movies - I'd still prefer to see the time and money spent on more of his non-Batman movies like Memento, The Prestige and Inception.
I think the puerility and repetition of Nolan's movies have nothing to do with whether or not the main character wears a mask and cape, but that's just me.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:58 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
domani wrote:
I think the puerility and repetition of Nolan's movies have nothing to do with whether or not the main character wears a mask and cape, but that's just me.

True, but can we PLEASE have a summer action movie that isn't a sequel or about a guy who wears a costume and fights "crime?"

Two producers I respect haven't jumped on the superhero bug: Jerry Bruckheimer and Steven Spielberg. Those guys are awesome.

Note* I actually like Jerry Bruckheimer movies. He's not the champion of first class entertainment, but when it comes to making summer action movies, there's no one better.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Not every R-rated action movie has to be hopelessly grim. Whatever happened to the likes of The Rock and Face/Off?

Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

No more models turned actors (unless they can actually act). A pretty face means nothing unless they can act.

Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Robert Pattinson is forbidden from making another movie.

Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Robert Pattinson is forbidden from making another movie.

Same goes for Taylor Lautner, and Justin Bieber is forbidden from ever making another documentary and starring in a film period.

Wed May 11, 2011 5:01 pm
Assistant Director

Anyone think it would be interesting to hear JB's rules?

Thu May 12, 2011 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Anyone think it would be interesting to hear JB's rules?

"Nudity everywhere. EVERYWHERE."

Thu May 12, 2011 4:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next