Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Jeff Wilder wrote:
11: Take a break from the zombie movies (aside from the 28 Days series and anything by George Romero of course). It'e getting old.

I haven't had a chance to see Romero's latest stuff but I heard a lot of negative things. He should probably take a long zombie break too. Of course, Danny Boyle has a seizure anytime someone says "Zombie" in connection with his series. He maintains that it's a virus. That's true, but come on. They're clearly zombie films.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Of course, Danny Boyle has a seizure anytime someone says "Zombie" in connection with his series. He maintains that it's a virus. That's true, but come on. They're clearly zombie films.

Why?

Zombies are corpses that have been reanimated. The move slowly. They can only be killed by a shot/blow to the head. They spread by biting.

Danny Boyle's ghouls are alive people infected with a virus. They move very quickly. They can be killed by anything that would kill a human, including starvation. A single drop of their blood spreads the virus.

Admittedly 28 Days Later has the post-apocalyptic feel of Romero's film, but I don't think it's out of the question to differentiate them.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:20 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Of course, Danny Boyle has a seizure anytime someone says "Zombie" in connection with his series. He maintains that it's a virus. That's true, but come on. They're clearly zombie films.

Why?

Zombies are corpses that have been reanimated. The move slowly. They can only be killed by a shot/blow to the head. They spread by biting.

Danny Boyle's ghouls are alive people infected with a virus. They move very quickly. They can be killed by anything that would kill a human, including starvation. A single drop of their blood spreads the virus.

Admittedly 28 Days Later has the post-apocalyptic feel of Romero's film, but I don't think it's out of the question to differentiate them.

Yeah, I would say 28 Days Later has more in common with Romero's The Crazies than any of his zombie films.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:21 pm
I wouldn't forbid 3D outright, but I would make it required that all screenings must provide both 2D and 3D options.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Why?

Perhaps "clearly" was the wrong word to use. I'd probably include them in a list of zombie films with a giant asterisks. However, they do share a lot of similarities with zombie films. Traditional zombies may move slowly, but "new" zombies are fast. I agree on the other differences (dead vs infected, etc.) but it's not like the disease is airborne. The only way to catch the rage virus is through very close contact (or, rarely, from a distant drop of blood falling into your eye ;) ) much like the way "zombieism" spreads. In both cases, the transformation from normal human into something else isn't immediate.

The survival rules are very similar too. Avoid close contact, barricade yourself indoors when possible, look for other survivors etc. I acknowledge that these tropes are present within similar subgenres like vampire movies or other disease-movies but those sub-genres have additional rules that the "28 Series" doesn't play by (danger only at night, virus is air/water borne respectively).

Mind you, I'd certainly include 28 Days Later in the disease genre too. However, it does fit pretty well with zombie films.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm
Rule #402: When creating trailers for your films, try to at least think of something *other* than using the same voiceover narrative of how much of an "event" the film is going to be. You know the ones that start off with opening lines like, "In a world where <blah, blah, blah>.....". It's cheesy and boring.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:57 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Rule #402: When creating trailers for your films, try to at least think of something *other* than using the same voiceover narrative of how much of an "event" the film is going to be. You know the ones that start off with opening lines like, "In a world where <blah, blah, blah>.....". It's cheesy and boring.

That's good, unless its a spoof.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

-No actor or filmmaker can have a career ruined from making one bad movie unless it is universally agreed upon that it failed because of them. Just because Tia Careere and Jan de Bont made one flop does NOT mean they are bad actors.
-Films should be bought and released based on QUALITY, not marketing ability. Good movies speak for themselves.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

-Also, no "no nudity" clauses in contracts. If you can't handle throwing yourself completely in a role physically and emotionally, you shouldn't become an actor.

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
-Also, no "no nudity" clauses in contracts. If you can't handle throwing yourself completely in a role physically and emotionally, you shouldn't become an actor.

+1

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 pm
Assistant Director

-no more movie where any character is a deadpan social misfit! IT GETS REAL OLD, REAL FAST!
-no more socially awkward characters (unless they are played by Jesse Eisenberg, or are not one of the above or in a Wes Anderson/Terry Zwigoff film).

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Nic Cage should be forced to make a new movie every 8 weeks for the rest of time.

Oh?

he already does...

Sorry
Rob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Nic Cage should be forced to make a new movie every 8 weeks for the rest of time.

Oh?

he already does...

Sorry
Rob

Well that's not likely to be happening so much anymore, now that Cage has been arrested for domestic abuse.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:20 pm
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Oh?

he already does...

Sorry
Rob

Well that's not likely to be happening so much anymore, now that Cage has been arrested for domestic abuse.

He has?
No problem, phone Roger Corman and do exploitation babe prison movies :-)
Rob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Oh?

he already does...

Sorry
Rob

In the entertainment business, this is the equivalent of being away from your desk for five minutes because the boss wants to talk to you about some paperwork that you misfiled.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:17 pm
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Oh?

he already does...

Sorry
Rob

In the entertainment business, this is the equivalent of being away from your desk for five minutes because the boss wants to talk to you about some paperwork that you misfiled.

Not necessarily, look at Mel Gibson, you don't see any roles lining up for him after those tapes got released, though Cage probably won't have as much as trouble since he's not racist like Mel(at least as far as I know) and dosen't have offensive views(like how the holocaust "never" happened :shock: Yes, Mel and his family actually believe that shit :evil: )

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 pm
Vexer wrote:
Not necessarily, look at Mel Gibson, you don't see any roles lining up for him after those tapes got released, though Cage probably won't have as much as trouble since he's not racist like Mel(at least as far as I know) and dosen't have offensive views(like how the holocaust "never" happened :shock: Yes, Mel and his family actually believe that shit :evil: )

Totally the same...oh wait it's not. Cage's wife isn't filing charges and the only reason that Cage was arrested was that he dared the cops to arrest him since they were going to just let him go. Also, Mel's father is the Holocaust Denier, I'm sure Mel knows the Holocaust happened even if he blames the Jews for the wars.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:47 pm
1) Every motion picture must be shot on real film. Super 16, any of the 35mm formats or larger.

2) Work harder on real film projection. Systems like Maxivision: 35mm prints - widescreen being 3 perf - using all avalable area with no loss and 48 frames per second which allows for high motion resolution while being 100% backwards compatible with all 24 fps movies MUST be supported.

3) Digital cinema is inevitable O.K. , but please work a little harder until you come up with something which is not just faster, cheaper, more convenient and compatible with computers - but also artistically pleasant. n(if you want big bucks that badly, why are you into making movies anyway?).
Recent developement in real film stock is being held back by digital supporters. The same old, same old over and over again. They sold us CD's with lies (early players didn't even have 16 bit res) and crappy re-used vinyl back in the mid 80s (there are scientific studies about that), then they sold us digital stills cameras which are cheap, quick, convenient and compatible with computers - but look at the crappy colors and texture. Digital photography needs heavy photoshopping to look half decent (it even created new "styles" like desaturated images and the likes, not to mention heavy airbushing). Bring back the true art in real film until you come up with a digital technology which looks pleasant.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:37 pm
It's interesting how the move to digital was ultimately a disaster for the music industry

Now it's the turn of movies

Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:55 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Digital photography needs heavy photoshopping to look half decent (it even created new "styles" like desaturated images and the likes, not to mention heavy airbushing). Bring back the true art in real film until you come up with a digital technology which looks pleasant.

With the greatest respect you obviously are not a photographer

Digital has opened up a new world. having spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in dark rooms, Photoshop and the output of a high end DSLR is a godsend

Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next