Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
The only concessions I buy are Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and beer. The ice cream is a bit expensive, but very yummy and worth it, and the beer is normal price. Soda and popcorn are just too expensive for what you get. Beer is generally cheaper that soft drinks over here anyway. :D

Now that's something that would be cool. Buying a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer.

They don't have that as far as I know in the states.

Even if they did, imagine what the mark-up would be on a single glass...

There's a local theater around where I live called Cinetopia that does this, you can drink in any of the living room theaters they have.

The place is huge, I went to the midnight showings of The Dark Knight and Inception there.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:02 pm
Critic

I didn't know you lived in Vancouver

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
I didn't know you lived in Vancouver

Round there, yeah.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:38 pm
What an awesome thread... yeesh. I need to come up with something so give me a little time. BUMP BUMP BUMP.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 pm
Critic

Just thought of one:

No sequels can just be "_______________ 2" You have to come up with an original title for the next movie. The "2" thing is stupid, doesn't make any goddamn sense grammatically, and can be pretty much solely blamed on Coppola for the Godfather 2, though at least he had the decency to use the word "part" to add a little class.

So if you want to make a sequel to Before Sunrise, yeah, don't call it Before Sunrise 2. Call it Before Sunset. Much better.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Just thought of one:

No sequels can just be "_______________ 2" You have to come up with an original title for the next movie. The "2" thing is stupid, doesn't make any goddamn sense grammatically, and can be pretty much solely blamed on Coppola for the Godfather 2, though at least he had the decency to use the word "part" to add a little class.

So if you want to make a sequel to Before Sunrise, yeah, don't call it Before Sunrise 2. Call it Before Sunset. Much better.

Agree totally, although I think a sequel that recycles the title by adding a colon and a subtitle is a worse offense that just " ______ 2". "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." Are you kidding me? "Money Never Sleeps" is an awful turn-of-phrase, but it'd be a better title than the actual one. A sequel's title should be organic. Before Sunrise/Sunset is a great example, although it was a pretty easy call for the sequel.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 pm
I'm pretty indifferent to the tropes of Hollywood but I'd like to see less brilliant, 'sharper than the adults' child characters.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:02 am
Shade wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Just thought of one:

Agree totally, although I think a sequel that recycles the title by adding a colon and a subtitle is a worse offense that just " ______ 2". "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps." Are you kidding me? "Money Never Sleeps" is an awful turn-of-phrase, but it'd be a better title than the actual one. A sequel's title should be organic. Before Sunrise/Sunset is a great example, although it was a pretty easy call for the sequel.

Even worse are those lazy ass sequels that drop one word from the title or add one... see THE Final Destination or Fast & Furious... true originality.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:16 am
Alexander James wrote:
I'm pretty indifferent to the tropes of Hollywood but I'd like to see less brilliant, 'sharper than the adults' child characters.

On a related note, I'd get rid of the creepy kids in horror movies who befriend the ghouls and start acting cryptic/weird, scaring everyone else (see the little shitstain from The Ring).

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:19 am
Alexander James wrote:

I second and third that. I once read it slightly differently, but very well phrased: "I'd like to see children in movies portayed as children and not as future adults". I guess that's likely impossible since many people seem to find it "aah so cute" when small children with their high pitched voices talk and behave like "wise" adults. It seems to sell.... :roll:

[Edit:] And I also agree about the creepy kids. We had our share of this, even nursery rhymes sung by fair haired children in horror movies (Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise anyone?). All of the above should be part of a "don't"- list which should be handed out to all producers, writers and directors.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 pm
I'd do away with region formatting for disks.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
I'd do away with region formatting for disks.

Illegal downloading means never having to find the right DVD player. If only small AVI files could have optional audio tracks and so on.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:14 pm
There's a fine line between "quirky, free-spirited" and "mentally retarded, dangerous".

The rule is this: if he or she is in the business of Living despite having only a short time left to live, write another movie.

People have a tendency to talk like people, not like The Real World cast.

All spoken dialogue should sound like actual, spoken dialogue. As you don't announce, prior to getting some milk at the supermarket, "I'm off to Whole Foods to purchase soy milk because I support organic farming in America," characters should avoid saying similar things.

Related to above: motivations are sometimes mysterious, even to the motivated.

This one speaks for itself.

Since everything that's written by a writer is part biography, characters shouldn't be single-dimensional beings that have only one character trait that defines them. They should be easily confused for actual human beings. (Unless otherwise intended)

Not all homosexuals are mincing, prancing fashion slaves. Not all black people are defined by being black and feeling militant about race. Not all "reclusive, mysterious" writers have a body buried in their garden. And so on.

There are so many, many more. I'm sure most of the urgent ones have been covered.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:21 pm
"Not all homosexuals are mincing"

This x 1 000! I blame film for the "You are gay, you are now required to act like a fruit 24/7" rule. It drives me fucking nuts.

I cant be the only one who has had a friend who became this cliche the moment they came out/discovered they were gay.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:33 am
Critic

eXterminus wrote:

This x 1 000! I blame film for the "You are gay, you are now required to act like a fruit 24/7" rule. It drives me fucking nuts.

I cant be the only one who has had a friend who became this cliche the moment they came out/discovered they were gay.

Clearly not, because even the Onion has noticed it:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/newly-out-gay-man-overdoing-it,51/

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:34 am
JamesKunz wrote:
eXterminus wrote:

Clearly not, because even the Onion has noticed it:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/newly-out-gay-man-overdoing-it,51/

Hilarious.
Quote:
'You know what Bush needs? A good ass-fucking. That'd relax him.' It's like, 'Okay, Mark, we get it already—you're gay.'"

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm
Critic

Yeah it's a pretty classic Onion article

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm
Have another one:

If the actor/actress can't do the Fake Accent (ScarJo in The Prestige, for example) than hire someone that either can or already has the non-fake accent you're looking for. Fake Accent University has very few impressive grads (Hugh Laurie is the most convincing American-sounding Brit I've yet heard) and a lot of C-students: ScarJo, Anne Hathaway, the entire cast of The Perfect Storm and many, many others.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:59 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
Have another one:

If the actor/actress can't do the Fake Accent (ScarJo in The Prestige, for example) than hire someone that either can or already has the non-fake accent you're looking for. Fake Accent University has very few impressive grads (Hugh Laurie is the most convincing American-sounding Brit I've yet heard) and a lot of C-students: ScarJo, Anne Hathaway, the entire cast of The Perfect Storm and many, many others.

Agreed. As an adjunct to this rule I suggest banning filmmakers from using British actors to depict Germans/Russians/whatever. Just because they're not Americans doesn't make them more German/Russian/Whatever

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:38 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Have another one:

Agreed. As an adjunct to this rule I suggest banning filmmakers from using British actors to depict Germans/Russians/whatever. Just because they're not Americans doesn't make them more German/Russian/Whatever

Last weekend I heard a replay of an interview Tony Curtis did in 1991 (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130248896) during which Curtis commented on why the different accents were used to represent the aristocracy and slaves in Spartacus. I've always disliked how movies like Gladiator and so forth use the standby British accent to represent "old-timey, maybe Roman" and Tony Curtis's explanation wasn't enough to convert me to the cause.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next