Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Gene Siskel's death, 15 years on. 
Producer

Post Gene Siskel's death, 15 years on.
It's a strange thing that Gene Siskel died right around the same time period that I was beginning to take a renewed, more serious interest in movies. Some things always seem like they just happened a few years ago, no matter how much time passes, but today is the 15th anniversary of that day. To mark the occasion, Chaz Ebert reposted the video of Roger Ebert discussing Siskel's life and death on Larry King Live, shortly after it happened.

You can quibble about whether you thought Gene or Roger was better or worse or which one you agreed with more, but I think it's indisputable that both were at their best when they were together.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:58 pm
Assistant Director

Post Re: Gene Siskel's death, 15 years on.
Quote:
You can quibble about whether you thought Gene or Roger was better or worse or which one you agreed with more, but I think it's indisputable that both were at their best when they were together.

And how: http://siskelandebert.org/

And as for Siskel alone: http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~ejohnson/cr ... iskel.html

I watched the two on and off starting in maybe 1992, always feeling bad when Siskel would make a fat joke at Ebert's expense and not feeling quite as bad when Ebert would take a shot at Siskel's baldness.

Siskel's illness stopped him from doing the show for a while and, when he came back, it seemed as if the their dynamic was much the same even if Siskel wasn't faring all that well. I remember their review of Practical Magic, Siskel enjoying it and praising the movie's respectful look at magic and Ebert completely bemused at what he saw as a misreading of a bad sitcom.

I can't honestly say I read Siskel (I vaguely recall looking for his review of The Ice Storm), Ebert always seeming so much higher-profile; it was likely because of his movie guides, at every B. Dalton we walked into. Regardless, their chemistry was undeniable.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
It's a strange thing that Gene Siskel died right around the same time period that I was beginning to take a renewed, more serious interest in movies. Some things always seem like they just happened a few years ago, no matter how much time passes, but today is the 15th anniversary of that day. To mark the occasion, Chaz Ebert reposted the video of Roger Ebert discussing Siskel's life and death on Larry King Live, shortly after it happened.

Siskel and Ebert of course were incredible together. But I thought Roger had almost equally good chemistry with Richard Roeper.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 am
Producer

Mark III wrote:
I watched the two on and off starting in maybe 1992, always feeling bad when Siskel would make a fat joke at Ebert's expense and not feeling quite as bad when Ebert would take a shot at Siskel's baldness.

I remember when Ebert panned The Brown Bunny, Vincent Gallo made some crack in the press about Ebert's weight. Ebert responded, "One day, I will be thin, but Vincent Gallo will have always directed The Brown Bunny."

If I didn't know Siskel and Ebert better (and, in a sense, you do get to know strangers when they make a living sharing their personal insights with the world), I would feel bad about some of those heated wisecracks... but really, these guys gave as good as they ever got. Between them, they had the market cornered on the wittiest dialogue on TV, never mind their print stuff.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 am
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Mark III wrote:

I remember when Ebert panned The Brown Bunny, Vincent Gallo made some crack in the press about Ebert's weight. Ebert responded, "One day, I will be thin, but Vincent Gallo will have always directed The Brown Bunny."

If I didn't know Siskel and Ebert better (and, in a sense, you do get to know strangers when they make a living sharing their personal insights with the world), I would feel bad about some of those heated wisecracks... but really, these guys gave as good as they ever got. Between them, they had the market cornered on the wittiest dialogue on TV, never mind their print stuff.

True, though it's worth mentioning that Ebert's criticims towards Brown Bunny subsided somewhat once he saw the significantly edited version and praised Gallo for it's improvements.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 am
Producer

That would make sense, given that one of the harshest and most often-repeated criticisms of The Brown Bunny is the self-indulgent length of many of its scenes. The very act of re-editing a movie can make it a different movie altogether.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 am
Cinematographer

A couple of the great Gene Siskel moments from the late, great Larry Sanders Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelwaJmrXeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzznBDz-758

One of the earliest Siskel and Ebert reviews on the PBS show I can recall distinctly was for Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981, but I know I had been watching the show since before then. At that age, I was in it more for seeing the movie clips than the eventual "thumbs up / thumbs down" ratings. That appreciation would come later.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 am
Assistant Director

I am missing Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert very much. I used to watch their show in PBS while living in USA (83-85) and only go to the Cinema to see two thumbs up films from them . Then they moved their show to Disney-ABC in 1986 and I was already back in Venezuela where I could not see their show when Batman (1989) came out as I knew later (after watching the film) that Gene gave it a very enthusiastic thumb up but Roger gave it a thumb down (Gene even said that enjoyed it more than Indiana Jones 8-) )

Batman (1989) is one of my very favourite films of all time!

Love this Batman with the the music of Danny Elfman in the background was so much fun with the Gotham city look out the comic book !!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile WWW