Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 am

The Social Network 
Post Re: The Social Network
Alexander James wrote:
Alright, alright. Se7en is not 0% good, not 30% good. The movie is right at the center of average. There are few movies that are 0% good and only Deuce Bigelow comes to mind. I'll be missing Pink Flamingos but will take your word. Shit eating isn't on my list of worthwhile entertainments.

It hurts. It hurts so bad. :cry:

Also, I'd like to contribute Heavy Metal to the 0% good category, along with House of 1000 Corpses and 10,000 BC. Just awful all of them.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:56 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Alexander James wrote:
Alright, alright. Se7en is not 0% good, not 30% good. The movie is right at the center of average. There are few movies that are 0% good and only Deuce Bigelow comes to mind. I'll be missing Pink Flamingos but will take your word. Shit eating isn't on my list of worthwhile entertainments.

Also, I'd like to contribute Heavy Metal to the 0% good category, along with House of 1000 Corpses and 10,000 BC. Just awful all of them.

There's a 100% chance I have 25% good taste in movies. I don't listen to my own opinions and advise you to do the same until I've doubled my input.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:34 pm
Alexander James wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
Alexander James wrote:

There's a 100% chance I have 25% good taste in movies. I don't listen to my own opinions and advise you to do the same until I've doubled my input.

I don't care if your tastes aren't the same as mine. Although if the range in your film going history is really as limited as you say then we should make you a list of essentials, whether they be classic or just films we find to be great or close to it :)

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:48 pm
JJoshay wrote:

I don't care if your tastes aren't the same as mine. Although if the range in your film going history is really as limited as you say then we should make you a list of essentials, whether they be classic or just films we find to be great or close to it :)

I'd be for such a list but wouldn't want to dedicate an entire thread to it... maybe if it could be couched in general interest.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:09 pm
Alexander James wrote:
Shit eating isn't on my list of worthwhile entertainments.

Pffh. Who doesn't enjoy chompin' down on a good turd every now and then? Why, I dare decree shit eating to be the highest form of entertainment! Once you've had someone's fecal matter in your mouth, you can never go back.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 pm
Alexander James wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

I'd be for such a list but wouldn't want to dedicate an entire thread to it... maybe if it could be couched in general interest.

You have much to learn and like it or not, there will be a thread dedicated to your edification with contributions by all! You wanna know why? I'm making that thread!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 pm
Alright, so I just got back from the midnight showing. Put me in the "great" camp. I love Fincher and Sorkin and I never thought they'd come together to do anything, let alone a Facebook movie.

More thoughts on it later, as it is pretty late. But go see it!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 am
Zeppelin wrote:
Alexander James wrote:
Shit eating isn't on my list of worthwhile entertainments.

Pffh. Who doesn't enjoy chompin' down on a good turd every now and then? Why, I dare decree shit eating to be the highest form of entertainment! Once you've had someone's fecal matter in your mouth, you can never go back.

Agreed. Wait, no I don't. Do I? Who knows? All I know is that the chocolate doughnut I'm currently eating has taken on an entirely new significance.

pig nash wrote:
Alright, so I just got back from the midnight showing. Put me in the "great" camp. I love Fincher and Sorkin and I never thought they'd come together to do anything, let alone a Facebook movie.

More thoughts on it later, as it is pretty late. But go see it!

A real non-critic person loves it! Hooray!

Seriously though, that does excite me. Can't wait to see it.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Where's James' review for this film? Surely they didn't avoid review screenings?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:23 pm
Baelzar wrote:
Where's James' review for this film? Surely they didn't avoid review screenings?

On his site, if you waited just a little longer you would see it.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:54 pm
Just got back from this, and I highly recommend it. I wrote more thoughts in the Recent Reviews area. Coming from someone who previously had no real compelling interest in the film, I was surprised at how entertained I was. 9/10.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:08 pm
I was genuinely surprised by how good this movie is. Best of the year so far, without a doubt.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:40 pm
Why are people so surprised if the film is good? Its David Fincher, he has never made a particularly bad movie (you can hardly blame him for the studio affair that was Alien 3).

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 am
Director

JJoshay wrote:
Why are people so surprised if the film is good? Its David Fincher, he has never made a particularly bad movie (you can hardly blame him for the studio affair that was Alien 3).

"Facebook movie"
"Starring Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake"

Those two facts made me skeptical even after rave reviews started coming in.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:50 am
JJoshay wrote:

I never thought the film was going to be bad. What I did think was that it was a weird next step from a guy who was just coming off of a major misfire in Benjamin Button. I wondered if making a film about the seemingly "slight" subject of Facebook, which has really only become culturally omnipresent in the past 3-4 years, would yield interesting drama and still be relevant down the road. The early critic reviews convinced me to go see it in the theater, and sure enough, all my hesitations turned out to be misguided.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:28 am
JJoshay wrote:

Have you forgotten the horrible shit-fest that was called The Game?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:03 am
Call out the one Fincher film I haven't seen Pat (and I've never heard its that bad).

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 am