Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:59 am

Top 100 lists 
Post Top 100 lists
In an effort to alleviate some of my silver-screen illiteracy, I've pulled from two lists:
Time Magazine's top 100 movies of all time
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 94,00.html

and
Yahoo's 100 movies to see before you die
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/100-mov ... u-die.html

I'm close to 70% on the Yahoo list, but closer to 20% on the Time list. There's some overlap between the lists and those are my highest viewing priority.

So far, I've gotten some great viewing done and am trying to get through about 2 per week.

Are there any other lists that I might consult, or has anybody here tried to 'get up to speed'?

Thanks in advance,

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 pm
Post Re: Top 100 lists
Awf Hand wrote:
Are there any other lists that I might consult, or has anybody here tried to 'get up to speed'?

I think we're all trying to 'get up to speed' Awfy. There's just so much out there.

There were a few best of lists shared in this thread:
http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1884

There's imdb's top 250. Far from perfect, but it's a good resource for finding movies that film fans enjoy.
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Then there's the "They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?" list. They have a list of the 1,000 greatest movies of all time as voted by 2,041 critics, filmmakers, reviewers, scholars and other likely film types. Basically, they cull every "best of" list of films they can find and have some sort of weighted rating system (James Berardinelli is one of the 2,041 voices).

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm

In my humble opinion, this list is the best starting point. You'll undoubtedly find a few you can't stand, but there's a good chance that you'll find a lot to love.

A few of us check out one of these movies ever so often. That's what "The Great Movies" [reelviews.net] section is for. Have a look sometime. There's a thread for each of the top 100 films and a single thread for movies ranked 101-1000.

Of course, most of the love for that list came from Rob Holloway. Do you remember his cinematic journey thread? Basically, it was similar to what you're doing. Rob tried to fill the 'gap' by watching movies from the list. He, and a few others, documented their exploits in this thread:

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=712

That should be enough reading material to last you for some time :)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:58 pm
Wow.

Thanks Ed! You always come through for me.

There is a lot there to read. I'll make it a point to read it all. Those were threads I hadn't had time (or access) to keep up with.

The "cinematic journey" of which Robert speaks is exactly what I'm seeking to take. Robert's opening paragraph was a well-worded collection of my own thoughts. I've also grown tired of sifting through a septic tank of buzz-du jour movies.

For the numerous trips I've made to my local library in recent months, I've toted a top 100 movie list of some type. With a top 1000 list out there, I can see that I'll need to exert more effort. Two movies a week won't cut it. Four to six should be a doable average, with more in the winter and less in the summer.

With my bindle stiff cast jauntily over my shoulder, I shall seek to follow Mr. Holloway on his cinematic journey.

Thanks again!!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm
I think you'll find it useful to group the movies you watch into different categories based on genre, director, and country. For example, watch several film noirs at once or several from the same director in a row. I find that when I do this, I learn more not just about the individual movies themselves, but about the bigger picture into which they fit.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:25 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
I think you'll find it useful to group the movies you watch into different categories based on genre, director, and country. For example, watch several film noirs at once or several from the same director in a row. I find that when I do this, I learn more not just about the individual movies themselves, but about the bigger picture into which they fit.

That's the only way to fly. Context, particularly for a director and/or country, is everything.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:31 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
Thanks Ed! You always come through for me.

Glad to help. Related: we should have a single sticky thread that links to all the "useful" older threads like Rob's Cinematic Journey and...um...well other useful threads.

majoraphasia wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

That's the only way to fly. Context, particularly for a director and/or country, is everything.

I mostly agree, but would add that it's helpful to "cleanse the palate" by throwing in some different stuff in between. You begin to notice too many similarities when going through a single director without any respite.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:17 pm
If you're looking to expand your horizons, avoid the IMDB top 250 like the plague. Its rankings reflect a population of moviegoers whose tastes don't stray far from the popular and the current.

Paul Schrader's prospective film canon is a good list, with a heavy focus on classics and foreign films. Go here and scroll down to 2006. The listing itself is at the end of the article, but the whole thing is well worth reading. It depicts Schrader's attempt (and eventual failure) to devise a canon of film, in the way that Harold Bloom devised a canon of western literature. It provides some interesting insight into the noble institution of The List.

Jim Emerson put together an article called "102 movies to see before you die." This is an interesting list, because it's not Jim Emerson's top 102 favorite/greatest/whatever movies. Rather, it's the 102 movies that Jim Emerson considers essential for the development of film literacy. Simply put, these are the movies you need to see if you want to be a well-rounded, informed fan of the movies.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 pm
Ken wrote:
If you're looking to expand your horizons, avoid the IMDB top 250 like the plague. Its rankings reflect a population of moviegoers whose tastes don't stray far from the popular and the current.

Paul Schrader's prospective film canon is a good list, with a heavy focus on classics and foreign films. Go here and scroll down to 2006. The listing itself is at the end of the article, but the whole thing is well worth reading. It depicts Schrader's attempt (and eventual failure) to devise a canon of film, in the way that Harold Bloom devised a canon of western literature. It provides some interesting insight into the noble institution of The List.

Jim Emerson put together an article called "102 movies to see before you die." This is an interesting list, because it's not Jim Emerson's top 102 favorite/greatest/whatever movies. Rather, it's the 102 movies that Jim Emerson considers essential for the development of film literacy. Simply put, these are the movies you need to see if you want to be a well-rounded, informed fan of the movies.

Ken's posted a link to the Schrader article and list before. I know this because that's how I came upon it. I second a recommended reading of that article and using his list. Really, it's a great read.

I'm off to check out Emerson's list now.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Ken wrote:

Ken's posted a link to the Schrader article and list before. I know this because that's how I came upon it. I second a recommended reading of that article and using his list. Really, it's a great read.

I third the recommendation. Of course you could've found it here too: ;)

ed_metal_head wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:

I think we're all trying to 'get up to speed' Awfy. There's just so much out there.

There were a few best of lists shared in this thread:
http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1884

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm
Director

You may want to go here:

http://www.icheckmovies.com/

They have lots of different lists, and you can keep track of what you've seen and haven't seen. It's pretty cool.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:40 pm