Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:24 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong? 
Author Message
Post You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
I know within my circle of friends we've all done it...had a full blown discussion because someone SWORE it was a certain actor in a movie...but ended up being completely wrong. Usually happens with movies you havn't seen in a while of course...

In my case The Legend Of 1900http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120731/ I would have bet good money Laurence Fishburne was the actor who played the rival pianist that came on the ship to "battle" at who was the best player...turns out it was Clarence Williams III lol.

Obviously IDMB has made these arguments/discussions easy to solve...but I don't know. Just trying my hand at getting a decent thread started lol.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:57 am
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
This happens to me and my friends all of the time, and I am the one who is 99% correct. One time, my friend was so sure of himself that he bet me $50 that the russian guy in Armageddon was the same guy in The Davinci Code. Of course, I knew that Peter Stormare and Jean Reno were not the same so I made a quick $50:)


Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Only one instance comes to mind:

From right after The Fifth Element ended until sometime around 2001, I was positive that Jason Priestley was the guy from the opening scene. Turns out it was Luke Perry. I lost no money under this conviction of mine nor did I ever believe Dustin Hoffman had a starring role in Star Wars.

---

On a related note, a woman with whom I tangentially work is a 60-ish tough that frequently leads me to question whether or not she has a nine-inch penis tucked between her legs to keep a certain secret safe. Every time I see her I think of that quote from the movie Borat when he refers to a feminist activist as an "old man". As I didn't really enjoy Borat I don't chuckle when I think of that quote.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
This happens to me and my friends all of the time, and I am the one who is 99% correct. One time, my friend was so sure of himself that he bet me $50 that the russian guy in Armageddon was the same guy in The Davinci Code. Of course, I knew that Peter Stormare and Jean Reno were not the same so I made a quick $50:)


The saddest part of this statement is that Jean Reno and Peter Stormare are wasting time on garbage like 'Armageddon' and 'The Da Vinci Code'.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Armageddon was a great movie!

DVC was bloody awful, a movie based on a so so book that sold well because every thick moron who never reads read.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:10 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
You know that crazy baseball from Everyone's Hero. I thought it was voiced by Don Rickles...it turned out that it was Rob Reiner. If the movie didn't anger me with rage already, this would have.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
eXterminus wrote:
DVC was bloody awful, a movie based on a so so book that sold well because every thick moron who never reads read.


Although I haven't read the so-so book on which the awful movie I did see was based, I'd like to give you a short nod of appreciation for voicing a cynical opinion that I've had for a long time. Had for a long time and felt sort of bad about having for just about that same amount of time.

Quote:
...based on a so so book that sold well because every thick moron who never reads read.



THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES REFLECT THE OPINION OF THE PERSON TYPING AND ARE NOT MEANT TO CAUSE ANY RIOTING IN THE E-STREETS OF REELVIEWS FORUM:


With some adults, those being over the age of ~27, I get the same sense of weird personal triumph handed over to me when I hear "The Harry Potter books were just so well-written!" or "I'm reading Twilight (or one of its sequels) right now!"

Why, adults? Why are you reading Harry Potter at age 35? Why are you curling up with Twilight at age 44?

Also:

If I hear another person say "Harry Potter is beautifully written," I'm going to start kicking kittens. Cute ones, too. The cutest kittens? They'll be kicked by me.

Right now me and Harold Bloom are going to get soused on Maker's Mark and burn down a Brentano's.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:11 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
majoraphasia wrote:
If I hear another person say "Harry Potter is beautifully written," I'm going to start kicking kittens. Cute ones, too. The cutest kittens? They'll be kicked by me.


Whats wrong with Harry Potter?


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:19 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
If I hear another person say "Harry Potter is beautifully written," I'm going to start kicking kittens. Cute ones, too. The cutest kittens? They'll be kicked by me.


Whats wrong with Harry Potter?

Nothing really, the Harry Potter series were pretty much the only novels I ever got really engrossed into, though "beautifully written" definitely how i'd describe them, I don't think they're masterpieces or anything, but they were still pretty good reads, and Harry Potter should NEVER be mentioned in the same sentence as a complete abomination of a series like Twilight!


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
If I hear another person say "Harry Potter is beautifully written," I'm going to start kicking kittens. Cute ones, too. The cutest kittens? They'll be kicked by me.


Whats wrong with Harry Potter?


In my opinion? And just in my opinion? The words "beautifully written" don't apply to what I've come across. J. K. Rowling isn't a brilliant craftswoman, creating within the smithy of her conscious mind the words that will lead the kids into a future of reading Faulkner. But that's just me. Does this post make me look like a dick? Sure does!

And, no: I haven't read all of those books. I've had enough of the Boy Wizard to last me the rest of my years.

I'll be the first to say it since it's coming down the pipe anyway: I'm a bit of a snob. I believe that adults should be reading literature that isn't intended for adolescents.

And I'll also say this: I'm not against being called a "douchebag" or "fucker" or variations on that theme. I might be wrong... but I still believe I'm right.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
majoraphasia wrote:
Right now me and Harold Bloom are going to get soused on Maker's Mark and burn down a Brentano's.
I keep trying to turn ol' Harold onto Crown Royal, but he refuses. I think he's afraid he might admit that Branagh's Shakespeare adaptations aren't that bad.


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:47 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
I read Harry Potter because I can't get through extremely verbose books like Lord of the Rings. :D

Back on topic: When I was younger, I used to think the manager of the Cubs in Rookie of the Year was played by Danny Glover (who played the manager of the Angels in Angels in the Outfield).


Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:51 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Ken wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Right now me and Harold Bloom are going to get soused on Maker's Mark and burn down a Brentano's.
I keep trying to turn ol' Harold onto Crown Royal, but he refuses. I think he's afraid he might admit that Branagh's Shakespeare adaptations aren't that bad.


Real quickly off topic once again:

Bloom is right about Branagh's version of Hamlet. Branagh casting himself in the lead, and his performance as Hamlet, is the worst of the big screen adaptations -- at least of the ones I've seen. But Bloom, as he tends to now that he's been considered THE literary critic for the past 55 or so years, has been given to some overstatement over the past 15 or so years. He knows Shakespeare better than anyone but we all know that Branagh's Henry V was a pretty great adaptation. Hmmm. Maybe someone should start a Shakespeare on Film thread?

Before anyone starts that thread, though: why hasn't there been a recent English-language (has there even been one English-language?) adaptation of Henry IV? Just the first part, even. Falstaff would have people rolling in the aisles, I tell you!


Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:29 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Bloom is legendary for hating on adaptations of Shakespeare, even including staged versions of the plays. I remember him writing that he's never seen a staging of Hamlet that matched up to the written play, and that he considers the material to be practically unadaptable*. It's no surprise that he'd have some choice criticism for Branagh's movie, which is arguably the most ambitious of all the filmed versions.




(*I may be inventing this word, or, at least, this usage of this word.)


Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:51 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
majoraphasia wrote:
I'll be the first to say it since it's coming down the pipe anyway: I'm a bit of a snob. I believe that adults should be reading literature that isn't intended for adolescents.


Here's the major problem I have with this position: it makes it sound as if you think it's better that an adult watch some shitty action movie instead of, say, Toy Story, because the former is intended for adults. I don't think that's what you mean to say (I may be wrong), but I do think that's how it sounds.

Harry Potter books are just fine, compentently written -- nothing more or less than that. They are reasonably inventive and spirited. I respect that it's largely character driven. And you know what? Any of the books is miles and miles better than anything Grisham, Nicolas Sparks, Dan Brown, or Nora Roberts ever thought about writing. It's better than 99% of what's on the bestseller list. So yes, I understand and agree that adults should be challening themselves more, but that has little to do with the "intended" audience for the books they read. Check out the actually great young adult novelists: Crutcher, Lynch, Spinelli -- they are as good as it gets, no matter the readers age.


Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 am
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Shade wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I'll be the first to say it since it's coming down the pipe anyway: I'm a bit of a snob. I believe that adults should be reading literature that isn't intended for adolescents.


Shade wrote:
Here's the major problem I have with this position: it makes it sound as if you think it's better that an adult watch some shitty action movie instead of, say, Toy Story, because the former is intended for adults. I don't think that's what you mean to say (I may be wrong), but I do think that's how it sounds.


Ah. That wasn't my intention but you've pointed out a pretty massive flaw in my argument's presentation. I'd argue that Toy Story is for adults as much as it is for anyone else (one might even guess that adolescents wouldn't be caught dead watching a movie like that) and shitty action movies are really best consumed by adolescents.

Shade wrote:
Harry Potter books are just fine, compentently written -- nothing more or less than that. They are reasonably inventive and spirited. I respect that it's largely character driven. And you know what? Any of the books is miles and miles better than anything Grisham, Nicolas Sparks, Dan Brown, or Nora Roberts ever thought about writing. It's better than 99% of what's on the bestseller list. So yes, I understand and agree that adults should be challening themselves more, but that has little to do with the "intended" audience for the books they read. Check out the actually great young adult novelists: Crutcher, Lynch, Spinelli -- they are as good as it gets, no matter the readers age.


Fine and competently written sound like appropriate descriptors. Certainly the writing isn't terrible. But you've written, and I mean this, a really truthful sentence (a pair, actually) that I need to single out.

Quote:
Any of the books is miles and miles better than anything Grisham, Nicolas Sparks, Dan Brown, or Nora Roberts ever thought about writing. It's better than 99% of what's on the bestseller list.
[/quote]

I haven't read a thing by any of those writers and there isn't a doubt in my mind that you're 100% correct. The NY Times Bestseller List is a wasteland of once perfectly good trees. Not every title, of course, but I'll agree to 99% being a pretty good estimate.

There are some great novelists and novels that are in the Young Adult section of the library. Roald Dahl, never one of my favorites, had an incredible amount of imagination along with an incredible amount of rage that I didn't like but that never stopped me from reading his stuff.

Judy Blume, so often left behind in the grade school library, is a fine storyteller that wrote in a remarkably subtle way about moral struggles.

You've made me think twice about my complete dismissal of Harry Potter and would like to change my statement to reflect what I actually believe. Here goes:

If you're 44 and you're only reading Twilight novels, Harry Potter novels and the latest lawyer adventure or fuck tome by Nora Roberts: mix it up a little and pick up some goddam Saul Bellow, Roald Dahl, Chris Crutcher, William Faulkner, Billy Shakespeare or a biography that doesn't concern Eminem's rise to stardom.


Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:42 am
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
"Why are you curling up with Twilight at age 44?"

Word.

My mother complains constantly that everyone in her prison is gushing over this tripe. Shes never read one of the books but even she understands their aimed at teenage girls and closeted late 20's guys.


Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 am
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
I never did buy the "well, at least these (insert shitty fiction franchise) books are getting people to read!" argument

When movies are out of fashion and kept alive mainly by enthusiasts such as ourselves, I hope nobody here is going to be saying, "Well, my nephew is into Baby Geniuses... hey, at least he's watching movies!"


Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:20 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
eXterminus wrote:
My mother complains constantly that everyone in her prison is gushing over this tripe. Shes never read one of the books but even she understands their aimed at teenage girls and closeted late 20's guys.

Her prison? there must be some broad sweeping ironic but totally incorect generalization about them and twilight there.


Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:24 pm
Post Re: You swore it was THAT actor...but were completely wrong?
Ken wrote:
I never did buy the "well, at least these (insert shitty fiction franchise) books are getting people to read!" argument

When movies are out of fashion and kept alive mainly by enthusiasts such as ourselves, I hope nobody here is going to be saying, "Well, my nephew is into Baby Geniuses... hey, at least he's watching movies!"

HEY, AT LEAST TRANSFORMERS XII IS MAKING PEOPLE INTERESTED IN FILM MAKING!


Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:24 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr