Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 am

Good Movies with Little Plot 
Post Good Movies with Little Plot
Plot, plot, plot. How important is it really? Some would say essential. Others say that plot isn't important at all.

What do you think? Which movies with little plot do you like (if any)?

I'll throw out a popular film: 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't exactly focused on the plot. Does it work in spite of its little plot or because of it? Hell, does the movie even work for you?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:23 am
Post Re: Good Movies with Little Plot
Back door sluts 9 was great, it had very little plot.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:33 am
eXterminus wrote:
Back door sluts 9 was great, it had very little plot.

:lol:

I loved Hurly Burly and wouldn't really say it had much of a plot.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 am
First thing that popped into my mind reading the thread title is Collateral, followed by Cellular, Phone Booth, and Joy Ride. Surprisingly all of them I still rewatch from time to time.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:55 am
Falling Down. Some guy is mad as Hell and isn't going to take it anymore, so he decides to go on an angry rampage. Simple yet entertaining to watch... although slightly sadistic.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:57 am
80s action.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 am
Most action films fall into this category for me, Bad Boys 2 especially.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:16 am
2001 most definitely has a plot, and a very strong and well-defined one at that--just not a typically structured one. That is, the first 10 minutes don't tell you the genre, the first half hour doesn't tell you everybody who's going to be in it or explain the central problem of the movie, the end of the first half hour doesn't have the big turning point that embroils the protagonist in the conflict, the middle hour isn't a set of red herrings designed to delay the ending, the end of the middle hour isn't a blatant signal that the conflict is actually about to pan out, and the final half hour isn't the big payoff where the conflict is resolved and all the loose ends get tied up.

So yeah. If that's what it takes for a movie to have plot, then screw plot. Plot is, at best, what happens when you let a fundamentally interesting situation unfold. At worst--and as usual--it's an obviously contrived structure that all movies must be hammered into in order to avoid being criticized for their lack of plot.

(Here's where you all say, "But Ken, tell us how you really feel." Or, "Gee, Ken, you might want to get that forehead vein checked out, because it's really sticking out there.")

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:24 am
SulferDragon wrote:
Falling Down. Some guy is mad as Hell and isn't going to take it anymore, so he decides to go on an angry rampage. Simple yet entertaining to watch... although slightly sadistic.

I have a boring story about that movie, i rang a radio station to get a phone number and was "lucky caller number XX" i won two tickets to the premire showing.

There was no one famous there.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 am
Do observation of life movies count? Then Wendy and Lucy, most Bergman movies, and the Decalogue would be good examples.

And Ken, even though people might say the equivalent of "lighten up", I like it when you bring your brand of answer to the table. It's usually more or less inarguable and informative.

Do you like boobies?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:36 am
Au hasard Balthazar has little plot with maximum story value.

As for Bergman: damned right. He was all storytelling with frequently minimal plot to run the viewer through the ropes course. I'll cite Through a Glass Darkly as my Bergman example -- a handful of characters interacting, hardly a fine line between beginning, middle and end.

Before Sunrise is a more modern example of a virtually plotless film that works pretty brilliantly, so much so that most viewers don't even notice. Richard Linklater, come to think of it, rarely bothers with plotting out this or that. Dazed and Confused, for example. Everything else he's done, more or less, for example.

Lost in Translation, of course. Oh how the people love the chemistry between Bill and Scar"face"jo.

Harder still would be naming "Good Movies with Tons of Plot".

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 am
Pedro wrote:
Do you like boobies?
I adore boobies.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:35 am
Do you consider scatalogical or "sketch" movies, like any of the Monty Python movies, or "Head" by The Monkees, or "Heavy Metal" to have strong plots? Or are they just mini plots bound loosely together by a weak overarching story?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:38 am
Critic

johnny larue wrote:
Do you consider scatalogical or "sketch" movies, like any of the Monty Python movies, or "Head" by The Monkees, or "Heavy Metal" to have strong plots? Or are they just mini plots bound loosely together by a weak overarching story?

Scatalogical? Like...poop movies?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 am
Critic

As for me, I'll submit Animal House. The only real plot is "Deltas wish to remain a fraternity...the dean feels otherwise" and it's such a funny film

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 am
A Hard Day's Night
American Graffiti
Clerks

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 am
I actually like Last Year at Marienbad, which has no plot whatsoever apart from: A man meets a woman in a hotel and thinks he met her last year at Marienbad, or maybe elswhere or maybe at another time or maybe not at all. There's also another man who constantly wins in a game of who removes the last match from a table strewn with matches. This man maybe the husband of the woman, or her lover or a spy or just a guy who wins at this game. Interested yet?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
I actually like Last Year at Marienbad, which has no plot whatsoever apart from: A man meets a woman in a hotel and thinks he met her last year at Marienbad, or maybe elswhere or maybe at another time or maybe not at all. There's also another man who constantly wins in a game of who removes the last match from a table strewn with matches. This man maybe the husband of the woman, or her lover or a spy or just a guy who wins at this game. Interested yet?

Ugh. Hiroshima mon amour was bad enough. There's no fucking way I'm subjecting myself to Last Year at Marienbad

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:15 pm
When I think of this topic, the first film that comes to mind is The Big Lebowski, my favorite Coen Bros film. The whole film is filled to the brim with non-sequiturs, like Uli and his nihilists in the pancake restaurant.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:03 pm
The Big Lebowski is a great example of plot as an expression of character. One can imagine The Dude himself writing the story, if he ever mustered enough ambition.

Some of my favorite plotless wonders are the movies of Bruce Lee. Not necessarily Enter the Dragon, which (ostensibly) involves a secret agent on a mission, but the earlier stuff. Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon don't present plots so much as they present situations that offer an acceptable excuse for lots of fight choreography. The sense of progression isn't plot-like, so much as game-like. Beat a couple groups of suckas, move on to a more powerful class of suckas, and eventually you get to the big boss. Hey, one of the movies even has that in the title!

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:09 pm