Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Oscars: Worst 'Best Picture' 
Auteur

Post Re: Oscars: Worst 'Best Picture'
JamesKunz wrote:
I used to be on the "RAWRG TITANIC" bandwagon until I realized that the public sentiment had gone so far against the movie that my own supporters had become too radical. I still L.A. Confidential is a modern classic and a better film, but if you can't appreciate what an incredibly piece of filmmaking Titanic is, you're nuts of you're lying to yourself. It's like Return of the King -- the emotions could be charitably called operatic, perhaps more accurately called simplistic, but the direction is amazing. You're always aware a master storyteller is taking you for a ride. Even if it's a simplistic ride

That's an incredibly narrow-minded and ignorant thing to say, people are NOT "nuts" or "lying to themselves" if they don't think Titanic is an "incredible" piece of filmmaking, that's the sort of thing I would've expected Cook to say :roll: . Cameron is no master storyteller, Titanic has the most unbelievable and uninvolving romance of all time(even Leo and Kate admitted to being embarassed by this film now, can't blame em one bit) and all the top-notch FX in the world can't distract from the dull and uninvolving story, IMO there's nothing "incredible" about that film, except for me somehow making it through that film without falling into a coma.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I used to be on the "RAWRG TITANIC" bandwagon until I realized that the public sentiment had gone so far against the movie that my own supporters had become too radical. I still L.A. Confidential is a modern classic and a better film, but if you can't appreciate what an incredibly piece of filmmaking Titanic is, you're nuts of you're lying to yourself. It's like Return of the King -- the emotions could be charitably called operatic, perhaps more accurately called simplistic, but the direction is amazing. You're always aware a master storyteller is taking you for a ride. Even if it's a simplistic ride

That's an incredibly narrow-minded and ignorant thing to say, people are NOT "nuts" or "lying to themselves" if they don't think Titanic is an "incredible" piece of filmmaking, that's the sort of thing I would've expected Cook to say :roll: . Cameron is no master storyteller, Titanic has the most unbelievable and uninvolving romance of all time(even Leo and Kate admitted to being embarassed by this film now, can't blame em one bit) and all the top-notch FX in the world can't distract from the dull and uninvolving story, IMO there's nothing "incredible" about that film, except for me somehow making it through that film without falling into a coma.

Look I don't even like the movie that much. I don't own it and I haven't watched it in probably 10 years. But I can't deny it's incredibly well made. It's like Gone with the Wind, actually, in many ways. It's too sudsy to be truly great but it's really quite a movie. And again, I think most people who say otherwise are nuts, lying to themselves, or are Vexer.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 pm
Producer

Terminator 2 is the work of a brilliant, passionate storyteller. Titanic is the work of a brilliant, passionate deep sea diver.*

*This comment may be slightly troll-ey. Maybe.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Look I don't even like the movie that much. I don't own it and I haven't watched it in probably 10 years. But I can't deny it's incredibly well made. It's like Gone with the Wind, actually, in many ways. It's too sudsy to be truly great but it's really quite a movie. And again, I think most people who say otherwise are nuts, lying to themselves, or are Vexer.

Yeah whatever you say McGames :lol: it's "quite" a movie alright, quite an awful movie!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Yeah whatever you say McGames :lol: it's "quite" a movie alright, quite an awful movie!

Low blow!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I stayed in some really ugly and uncomfortable hotels that are probably quite well constructed.

Vex is bascially right. Titanic is formula bordering on exploitation. And he is also right in that the chemistry between the leads in non-existent. The real problem I have with Titanic is the fact that Cameron didn't think an unsinkable ship sinking on its maiden voyage was story enough without throwing a daytime soap-opera level drama into the mix.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:46 am
Producer

...in fact, while I'm on the subject, Titanic had enomous potential to be something incredible. Instead of the film being a vessel, both literally and metophorically, for a teenage girl's love story, it could have been a mataphor for the industrial scale disasters that would blight the rest of the 20th century. The film is potentially very rich indeed thematically speaking, doubly so because of it being a true story.

Cameron jibbed out in unforgivable fashion.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:

He and his bank account would disagree

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:52 am
mrguinness wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

This reminds me of many an argument I had in the past: each time I criticize a trashy but successful movie (NOT talking Titanic here) or pop song, people from different lines of work would reply: "It made tons of money!" - If I felt some kind of "you are just envious"-sarcasm, I would reply: "You make real money with drugs, arms and pimping!", if the reply was felt as a reasonable reply, I'd reply back: "why is it so damn hard for many people to understand that quality and success are two different things?".
I already admire people who actually include quality in their commercial work, just for the sake of doing things right, even if only a few people will actually appreciate it. There is so much trash around these days, that your average Joe/Jane almost only knows trash. And most people only accept and like what they are familiar with.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 pm
Producer

Titanic's most potent romantic scene is when the elderly man and woman, knowing that they are doomed, lie down holding hands and await death together. That's where the power of the movie could have been found, in moments like that one.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
mrguinness wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

This reminds me of many an argument I had in the past: each time I criticize a trashy but successful movie (NOT talking Titanic here) or pop song, people from different lines of work would reply: "It made tons of money!" - If I felt some kind of "you are just envious"-sarcasm, I would reply: "You make real money with drugs, arms and pimping!", if the reply was felt as a reasonable reply, I'd reply back: "why is it so damn hard for many people to understand that quality and success are two different things?".
I already admire people who actually include quality in their commercial work, just for the sake of doing things right, even if only a few people will actually appreciate it. There is so much trash around these days, that your average Joe/Jane almost only knows trash. And most people only accept and like what they are familiar with.

I was just commenting on the jibbed out comment. I couldn't care less about the money. It's a trite film, and that's the worst thing I can think to say for a behemoth of a production.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm
mrguinness wrote:
I was just commenting on the jibbed out comment. I couldn't care less about the money. It's a trite film, and that's the worst thing I can think to say for a behemoth of a production.

That's exactly what I wanted to say: I don't care about the money myself.

I don't think "Titanic" qualifies for worst "best picture" though. I am more against cheezy, boring, stalling, pointless small scale faux-old-world-theatrical period pieces which seem to be assembled from "oscar bait with minimum effort 101" (Driving Miss Daisy, The English Patient, The King's Speech.....).

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Threeperf35 wrote:
mrguinness wrote:

I don't think "Titanic" qualifies for worst "best picture" though. I am more against cheezy, boring, stalling, pointless small scale faux-old-world-theatrical period pieces which seem to be assembled from "oscar bait with minimum effort 101" (Driving Miss Daisy, The English Patient, The King's Speech.....).

Driving Miss Daisy was never made as Oscar bait. It was a movie that was lucky to even see the light of day. The producers made it on a dime, but it caught on in a huge way. You thinking My Left Foot instead of DMD? Maybe... but its a quibble. I love it, as I also enjoy The King's Speech very much. I don't think think the cinematic difference between all the nominees in 2010 was all that extreme, so its a quibble to me as well. (though I didnt see 2 of the 10)

Now as for The English Patient... ugh, what a POS!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:40 pm
Critic

mrguinness wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
mrguinness wrote:

Driving Miss Daisy was never made as Oscar bait. It was a movie that was lucky to even see the light of day. The producers made it on a dime, but it caught on in a huge way. You thinking My Left Foot instead of DMD? Maybe... but its a quibble. I love it, as I also enjoy The King's Speech very much. I don't think think the cinematic difference between all the nominees in 2010 was all that extreme, so its a quibble to me as well. (though I didnt see 2 of the 10)

Now as for The English Patient... ugh, what a POS!

Ugh 1989. I've seen 4 of the 5 nominees, and not one of them even earned *** from me.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 pm
Director

Concerning Titanic:

I can name several reasons why it is solid filmmaking...and a few other reasons why it isn't. I can also spell out a few reasons why it caught on with audiences in a huge way. In short, it's not the worst Best Picture. I wouldn't even put it in the Bottom 5. Yes, L.A. Confidential was better. But Titanic worst? Not by a long way.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Concerning Titanic:

I can name several reasons why it is solid filmmaking...and a few other reasons why it isn't. I can also spell out a few reasons why it caught on with audiences in a huge way. In short, it's not the worst Best Picture. I wouldn't even put it in the Bottom 5. Yes, L.A. Confidential was better. But Titanic worst? Not by a long way.

Bless you, Sexy Chocolate. Bless your rich cocoa flavor. Bless your luscious red lips

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ugh 1989. I've seen 4 of the 5 nominees, and not one of them even earned *** from me.

It annoyed me that Do The Right Thing and Drugstore Cowboy didn't get Best Picture nominations.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 pm
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

It annoyed me that Do The Right Thing and Drugstore Cowboy didn't get Best Picture nominations.

Seriously. I don't think Do the Right Thing is perfect, but it boggles the mind that someone looked at Driving Miss Daisy on one hand and Do the Right Thing on the other hand and said "Oh yeah the latter is a way better look at race relations"

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:13 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

God, why did you people have to bring up Driving Miss Daisy again?

As for Titanic, that movie is awesome so you can all suck it. The relationship stands as a metaphor for the ship itself, quick to start and doomed to fail its maiden voyage. If you don't believe in the chemistry of the characters that's up to you but I've always bought it. Few films in recent years have been able to strike such awe out of its visuals and intermix story, theme and characters together as well as this.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:15 am
Auteur

JJoshay wrote:
God, why did you people have to bring up Driving Miss Daisy again?

As for Titanic, that movie is awesome so you can all suck it. The relationship stands as a metaphor for the ship itself, quick to start and doomed to fail its maiden voyage. If you don't believe in the chemistry of the characters that's up to you but I've always bought it. Few films in recent years have been able to strike such awe out of its visuals and intermix story, theme and characters together as well as this.
Bella and Edward in Twilight had more chemistry then Jack And Rose.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:36 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next