Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 am

Melville, (Jean-Pierre) 
Post Re: Melville, (Jean-Pierre)
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Remind me to respond to Pete's post... it's too late and I'm too tired to pay my respects right now.

Too late and too tired... too late and too tired... hey! I sound like I could be a character in Army of Shadows! They're all so angry and tired. I know the feeling but don't even have a French Revolution to excuse it. See you in hell, Philippe Gerbier.

This is me reminding you.

Thanks for the BUMP. Will get on that soon-ishly. Great review of Le Cercle Rouge, incidentallitastically. This paragraph in particular:

Quote:
One of his last films, Melville clearly wanted this film to display mastery. (He's said so himself.) You can see that effort bleed into the frame. The film features an extensive use of zooms and pans (and both) that are used to both heighten and disorient the viewer. Melville does this, to my understanding, because he wants you to get a sneak peek at what it's like to be these people. There's a lot of subtle paranoia going on, but you wouldn't know it because the characters are trying so hard to be professional. And cool. We have some antiheroes in the film, sir. There's something about watching criminals in their element, working so hard to do their thing that you wonder why they don't just become normal members of society. Then you remember why.

The heart of the movie is in the characters posing as ruffians when they're really just working joes who steal because they're so unambitious and dumb. I think they're sympathetic; they're charity cases. Not the best-earned sympathy.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:43 am
I just want to add that I've watched Le Doulos since my last post in this thread and I can't get enough of it. I've watched it three times and I'm making my girlfriend watch it sometime this week (or next, we'll see). Maybe I'll write up some long-winded thoughts after I see it again.

Oddly, Army of Shadows, which I claimed to like the least, has stuck with me the most out of the 4 Melville's I've seen. I own the other 3, and have seen them multiple times over at this point, but many of the images in Army of Shadows have really been ingrained in my brain. Haunting, some would even say. Weird how that works.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:42 am
Director

has anyone seen Un Flic, his final film? its screening at the Nuart for one week

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
has anyone seen Un Flic, his final film? its screening at the Nuart for one week

That's cool. I need to watch more of this man's films.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:23 am