Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:07 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
how about these 
Author Message
Post how about these
Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Ikiru, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Vengeance is Mine, The Mother and the Whore, Edvard Munch, Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Stalker, Breathless.


Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:20 pm
Post Re: how about these
What do you think of them? Give us your stance and we can then have a discussion as a forum ... otherwise it's just a bunch of movie titles ;)


Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:22 pm
Post Re: how about these
oh ok

Ikiru- A sweet and tender film

Vengeance is Mine- the most chilling film ive ever seen and in my top

Late Spring- a beautiful film about fathers and daughters and life in japan

Tokyo Story- another Ozu great film about family and loss

Edvard Munch- Great examination of the famous artist

Andrei Rublev- Another great examination of another famous artist while not very acurate STILL AMAZING

Solaris & Stalker- the two greatest sci-fi films ever made


Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 pm
Post Re: how about these
These are foreign films everyone should see before they die. I haven't seen all of them, though I think it'd be impossible to argue against their merits. I probably didn't enjoy Tokyo Story as much as some, but I acknowledge its masterpiece status. I'd probably do the same with the others, with some I would actually dig a lot.


Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 pm
Post Re: how about these
Sorry for going off-topic here.

Pedro, what is the number 2 film in your Top 10?
It's the only one I can't recognize the poster for.

Thank you.


Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 pm
Post thanks
Wait pedro you were saying that about my selection of films. Because if you were thanks


Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 pm
Post Ikiru
"Ikiru" - great great great movie. The first half is amazing enough, with its look at the meaning you give your life. But it's the second half, which looks at the meaning your life actually has (and how others see this), which puts this at one of the all-time best films.


Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:44 pm
Post Re: how about these
sam the man wrote:
oh ok

Ikiru- A sweet and tender film

Vengeance is Mine- the most chilling film ive ever seen and in my top

Late Spring- a beautiful film about fathers and daughters and life in japan

Tokyo Story- another Ozu great film about family and loss

Edvard Munch- Great examination of the famous artist

Andrei Rublev- Another great examination of another famous artist while not very acurate STILL AMAZING

Solaris & Stalker- the two greatest sci-fi films ever made



Hi Sam

Welcome to the forum. You'll get better feedback if you offer your opinions.

I have seen most of these and they are a rich selection indeed.

Ikiru - certainly not what most people will see as conventional Kurosawa. I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was both touching and wonderful.

Tokyo Story - One of my favorite films of all time. I cried and laughed and wondered. We need a whole forum on this movie. In fact I would love to get a recommendation of a good book on Ozu. It also switched me on to the reviewer Dennis Schwartz and his site Ozu's world of movies.

Late Spring - It's right next to me waiting to be watched :-) You should try Late Autumn.

Vengeance is mine - Shame on me. I rented this from Criterion i think and and never got round to rewatching it. It's one of my need to sees - sorry

Andrei Rublev - I saw this for the first time last year and appreciated much of this film but at 31/4 hours it was too long. It's strange because I keep remembering scenes from it. maybe I have to rewatch. As a keen b&w photographer this was something of a geek out :-)

Solaris - I have tried to love this film, but struggled. I've not been there for ten years so maybe it's time to take a third run at it. I can appreciate it, but that's all.

Stalker - I have not seen it

Rob


Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am
Post Re: how about these
Having seen most in your list, It is a very nice list.

Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Ikiru Masterpieces, ones to watch over, and over and over,

Rublev, never seen,

Vengence, another fine choice, although a bit different than the ones above, Solaris, agreed, a great SciFi classic.


Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 am
Post Re: how about these
Commodorefirst wrote:
Having seen most in your list, It is a very nice list.

Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Ikiru Masterpieces, ones to watch over, and over and over,

Rublev, never seen,

Vengence, another fine choice, although a bit different than the ones above, Solaris, agreed, a great SciFi classic.



Hey Commodorefirst

I remember that you're also a photographer.

Rublev features scene after scene where the b&w composition is stunning

Rob


Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:48 am
Post Re: how about these
Have any of you guys seen The Mother and the Whore 1973 it features the kid from The 400 Blows as a young adult becoming romantically involved with his live in girl friend and a nurse. And the converstions about life and love they share. As the film progresses the two females switch roles as the mother and the whore. Until the main character is left with so tuff choices toward the end. Its a matrepiece in top 10 of all time.

A few more i like (and JB might as well)

- Hirosima Mon Amour 1959
- Last Year at Marienbad 1961


Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 pm
Post Re: how about these
Ikiru- A veritable masterpiece. Takashi Shimura gives one of the best male performances of all time.

Andrey Rublev- Good but overlong and extremely pretentious. Not recomended to anyone with short atention span.

Solaris- See Andrey Rublev, even though it is certainly a more lively experience.

Stalker- The No 4 movie of my personal Top 10. An unsurpased technical achievment and philosophical work of art.

Breathless- Nouvelle Vague's best representative. It remains today, almost 50 years later, as modern and entertaining as it was back then.

Last Year at Marienbad- I had one my best sleeps when I tried to watch it. Incoherent and pretentious don't even begin to describe this sorry excuse of a film.


Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:34 pm
Post Re: how about these
Robert Holloway wrote:
Commodorefirst wrote:
Having seen most in your list, It is a very nice list.

Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Ikiru Masterpieces, ones to watch over, and over and over,

Rublev, never seen,

Vengence, another fine choice, although a bit different than the ones above, Solaris, agreed, a great SciFi classic.



Hey Commodorefirst

I remember that you're also a photographer.

Rublev features scene after scene where the b&w composition is stunning

Rob


Time to add it to my list! Geez, my to see list is getting longer and longer with the forums opening! and I thought I knew a lot about film and seen a lot in my day.....


Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:55 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Steven and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr