Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Heat 
Post Heat
I am one of those guys that thinks Heat was one of the greatest crime dramas of the 90s. Too me, at least, the entire movie was mesmerizing. I just didn't want it to end. The in your face gritty style of direction was just awesome. I'm am constantly arguing with my roommate who keeps retaliating that it sucks just to piss me off. Anyone else out there like me? Just two stars Mr. Berardinelli, really?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:33 pm
Post Re: Heat
This movie is probably in my Top 25 all time. It was excellent. Flawless acting, beautiful direction, and the baddest shootout scene. Ever.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:35 pm
I have expressed my dislike of this movie and most of Michael Mann's movies in other threads so I'm just going to give you the cliff notes:

Every Mann movie other than Collateral, Manhunter and half of Last of the Mohicans is mind-numbingly boring

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm
Patrick wrote:
I have expressed my dislike of this movie and most of Michael Mann's movies in other threads so I'm just going to give you the cliff notes:

Every Mann movie other than Collateral, Manhunter and half of Last of the Mohicans is mind-numbingly boring

Hmm, interesting opinion... I think that Last Of The Mohicans is by far his most boring movie. Do you really find Heat to be a bore?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:48 pm
Heat's a solid movie but it's far from a favourite. It's head and shoulders above the stuff De Niro and Pacino have been churning out lately though.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:51 pm
etifupleez wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Hmm, interesting opinion... I think that Last Of The Mohicans is by far his most boring movie. Do you really find Heat to be a bore?

Oh my yes, I just can't get into it or most of Mann's movies. The sad thing is that they are technically good: the acting, the cinematography, the action are all top-notch but I can't care about them if I don't care about the movie itself.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:54 pm
It was the first '15' rated film I saw at the cinema (I was 13 when it came out here in early 96). It's a slow burner, but it builds the tension, the characters and the story perfectly. The cinematography is wonderful, the score is great and the direction is spot on.

For years it was my absolute favourite film until I came across The Usual Suspects and re-appreaised The Godfather, but it's still special to me.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:57 pm
Patrick wrote:
etifupleez wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Oh my yes, I just can't get into it or most of Mann's movies. The sad thing is that they are technically good: the acting, the cinematography, the action are all top-notch but I can't care about them if I don't care about the movie itself.

Fair enough. So would you attribute that to the writing then?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:00 pm
To me, a boring movie isn't in the material. It's something that's between the frames, something you can't manufacture.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:12 pm
I also really liked Heat. Mann manages a lot and with the exception of Haysbert's angle, does so very effectively. Seeing DeNiro and Pacino in their prime (unlike Righteous Kill) is just too good.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 pm
Definitely one of his best. And infinitely re-watchable. If Michael Bay or any of the other summer hacks took a little bit from the bank heist...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:56 pm
What prevented this movie from being GREAT was that it was 30 minutes too long-Michael Mann should have spent a bit more time in the editing room.

Otherwise-a very good film with deep character developments/interactions and excellent acting. It's not very often nowdays where you watch films with people you CARE about like this one.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:20 am
Heat is one of my favourite films and it is one of the few times I have completely disagreed with James.

It is quite interesting thought that those who dislike it often say it is overlong and develops uninteresting strands.

Yet those who like it so much like myself admire Mann for giving every character time to develop.

It is quite funny that James gave Miami Vice a positive review when it is considered by many to be Mann's worst film (I have not seen The Keep) yet he gave Heat two stars.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:43 am
Heat is a good movie, but not one I believe worthy of the leads at that stage of their careers. However, as already mentioned, compared to the stuff De Niro and Pacino are churning out lately, it is a masterpiece beyond reproach. Still, definitely worth my time to watch again.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:48 am
The opening bank truck heist, THE MAIN HEIST SCENE, the riveting diner scene between the two leads: simply great stuff.

For those of you who love Heat, you should check out Mann's Thief if you haven't already. While it isn't as good, one can tell that Mann definitely laid the ground work in Thief for what would become Heat later on. It also contains one of my favorite all time "bad guy tells a good guy to do this or else" scenes when Robert Prosky's character is talking to Caan's. For those of you who have scene it, you know what I'm talking about.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 am
sclark78 wrote:
Heat is one of my favourite films and it is one of the few times I have completely disagreed with James.

It is quite interesting thought that those who dislike it often say it is overlong and develops uninteresting strands.

Yet those who like it so much like myself admire Mann for giving every character time to develop.

It is quite funny that James gave Miami Vice a positive review when it is considered by many to be Mann's worst film (I have not seen The Keep) yet he gave Heat two stars.

James confuses me sometimes.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 am
One of my favourite movies, but doesn't have a lot of replay value.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am
Heat is not a movie for me but an EVENT, i still feel bad that I never watched it at a cinema, I mean the bank robbery scene, that's one of my greatest scenes ever!!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 am
I wonder if JB gets a lot of flak for his two-star review of Heat? Personally, I'm kind of with him. I checked out the movie a few years ago after hearing somebody compare the phenomenal Infernal Affairs to it, and frankly, I couldn't stay awake. It's probably the only time I've ever actually fallen asleep during a movie. The Pacino-DeNiro meeting was disappointing. I couldn't keep track of all the ridiculous characters. The only interesting part was the bank robbery/shootout.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 pm
gatorhawk01 wrote:
Definitely one of his best. And infinitely re-watchable. If Michael Bay or any of the other summer hacks took a little bit from the bank heist...

One of my favorites as well. I found the slow burn just perfect... Infinitely rewatchable, indeed! The writing, the direction, the acting, all spoke to me on some level. The word that always come to mind when I think of Heat is "professional". It just puts me in a frame of mind, even thinking back on it.

Damn it, now I need to watch it again.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:20 pm