Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 489  Next
The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY) 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY)
Steven wrote:
Cool. Here's a recent one.

That actress looks almost like Emily Deschanel without makeup.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:43 pm
Assistant Director

Steven wrote:
Cool. Here's a recent one.

I Am Number Four?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Nope. A few hints: It's foreign and Jaime Lannister's in it.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Headhunters. Good movie that.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:19 pm
Assistant Director

Hint: it's from 2014, and not very good.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 26.11 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]
Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 pm
Assistant Director

No takers? Why am I not surprised. Hint 2: Vexer liked it. Is that a hint?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:20 am
Second Unit Director

Hmm, based on that hint I'm gonna guess...

Vampire Academy?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 am
Assistant Director

Gedmud wrote:
Hmm, based on that hint I'm gonna guess...

Vampire Academy?

YES! So the brunette is the main character, Rose (Zoey Deutch), the Dhampir who fights evil vampires.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 am
Second Unit Director

Nice! I'll post a pic after work today.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 am
Second Unit Director

Here you go, dudes.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:26 am
Critic

Das Wrestler?

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Das Wrestler?

Down with this false, non-gender-specific use of faux German articles! Unless you would specifically refer to a female wrestler ("die Ringerin"), the word for wrestler ("Ringer") is male. It's never neutral. Hence, the correct article is "der" and not "das".

(That being said, for non-native speakers, it is very hard to learn the gender of German nouns, because there is no logical system to it. And apart from that, a WWF-type wrestler would probably be called a "wrestler" in German, too, in order to distinguish it from proper sport, i.e. Olympian Greco-Roman or freestyle wrestling. You'd still have to use the male article, though.)

Oh, what am I doing here, wasting precious time at work: I've gotta get home early to catch the second half of Italy v. Costa Rico. Go, los Ticos!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:40 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Das Wrestler?

Down with this false, non-gender-specific use of faux German articles! Unless you would specifically refer to a female wrestler ("die Ringerin"), the word for wrestler ("Ringer") is male. It's never neutral. Hence, the correct article is "der" and not "das".

(That being said, for non-native speakers, it is very hard to learn the gender of German nouns, because there is no logical system to it. And apart from that, a WWF-type wrestler would probably be called a "wrestler" in German, too, in order to distinguish it from proper sport, i.e. Olympian Greco-Roman or freestyle wrestling. You'd still have to use the male article, though.)

Oh, what am I doing here, wasting precious time at work: I've gotta get home early to catch the second half of Italy v. Costa Rico. Go, los Ticos!

The fact that your language decided to give articles a gender is just absurd.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:02 am
Second Unit Director

Correct, sir!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Unke wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Das Wrestler?

So, since we're on the subject of German, riddle me this Herr Unke: why do children go to a Kindergarten, while trees are grown in a Baumschule?

Where do you live, BTW? We should get together for a beer or three if were at all close...

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am
Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:
Correct, sir!

Not grammatically, though. ;)

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Das Wrestler?

Actually, it's the nouns, which have a gender, rather than the articles, which just follow the noun. Kinda like in French or Spanish (minus neuter). It is absurd, indeed, although not as absurd as our grammatical distinction between addressing somebody formally ("siezen") or informally ("duzen").

MunichMan wrote:
So, since we're on the subject of German, riddle me this Herr Unke: why do children go to a Kindergarten, while trees are grown in a Baumschule?

Where do you live, BTW? We should get together for a beer or three if were at all close...

Well, somebody owning a tree nursery (if that's the correct English term) once explained that the term derives from the saplings being planted in orderly rows, just like pupils (used to) sit in orderly rows. I suppose the term is much older than 1968. As for the garden part in "Kindergarten", I can only refer to the German wikipedia page, according to which a man named Friedrich Fröbel invented the institution as well as the name.

It would be great to meet up for a beer and chat about movies, but I'm living nowhere near München, unfortunately. Or rather not unfortunately, because I live in Hamburg, which Hamburgers like me (stop the sniggering, fast food enthusiasts) like to describe as "the most beautiful city in the world". If I should be in or around Minga some time, I'll let you know in advance.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am
Critic

This is vaguely in violation of the no nudity, but I'm a mod, so mehh

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 12.57.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 12.57.38 PM.png [ 272.28 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:58 pm
Producer

Amistad.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Unke wrote:

Not grammatically, though. ;)

JamesKunz wrote:
Unke wrote:

Actually, it's the nouns, which have a gender, rather than the articles, which just follow the noun. Kinda like in French or Spanish (minus neuter). It is absurd, indeed, although not as absurd as our grammatical distinction between addressing somebody formally ("siezen") or informally ("duzen").

MunichMan wrote:

Well, somebody owning a tree nursery (if that's the correct English term) once explained that the term derives from the saplings being planted in orderly rows, just like pupils (used to) sit in orderly rows. I suppose the term is much older than 1968. As for the garden part in "Kindergarten", I can only refer to the German wikipedia page, according to which a man named Friedrich Fröbel invented the institution as well as the name.

It would be great to meet up for a beer and chat about movies, but I'm living nowhere near München, unfortunately. Or rather not unfortunately, because I live in Hamburg, which Hamburgers like me (stop the sniggering, fast food enthusiasts) like to describe as "the most beautiful city in the world". If I should be in or around Minga some time, I'll let you know in advance.

I love Hamburg. If I had to live in any other city in Germany apart from Munich, it would be Hamburg. But, there's a reason that Munich is, and has been for the past 10-15 years, in the top 5 (and more than once number 1) of the best cities in the world to live. ;)

If I get up Hamburg way, I'll definitely drop you an note as well. Always fun to hang out with die Fischköpfe. :P

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 pm
Critic

Syd Henderson wrote:
Amistad.

Correct!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:03 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 489  Next