Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 481  Next
The Guess That Movie Game (NO NUDITY) 
Post Re: The Guess That Movie Game
Here's a hint. There is a review of it on this website.
http://snowbloodapple.com/index2.htm

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 am
Battle Royal? Never seen the movie but it was on the website, and you just mentioned it in movies you wish James would review.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am
Coincidence! I JUST SAW this movie!

And why did I see it?

JJoshay wrote:
This is my Mulholland Dr. While others believe the ambiguity of Drive to be deep and thought-provoking, I found it maddeningly undeveloped. With Japanese provocateur Sion Sono's Suicide Club however, we have a film that never started out offering any chance of answers; this film developed deeper questions then usually found in a movie, presented it with ease, and ended without any resolution people thought it would, yet at the end, it was still so satisfactory and perfectly well-assembled. While many movies have betrayed themselves for the sake of a crowd pleasing ending, Suicide Club goes all the way, leaving you with questions to interpret among yourselves. The film is graphically violent and equally disturbing in content and imagery, but Sono has the skills to tackle the subject matter with ease and efficiency, making a film as thought-provoking, and at times darkly, disturbingly funny, as it is bold.

The sentence in bold is what sold it.

So, Suicide Club is the movie the still has been taken from.

Incidentally: that image... well, if you guys ever see the movie you'll finally understand what the quote "Mom's funny," is really all about. And it's something that you'll maybe want to scrub from your brain.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:03 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Coincidence! I JUST SAW this movie!

And why did I see it?

JJoshay wrote:
This is my Mulholland Dr. While others believe the ambiguity of Drive to be deep and thought-provoking, I found it maddeningly undeveloped. With Japanese provocateur Sion Sono's Suicide Club however, we have a film that never started out offering any chance of answers; this film developed deeper questions then usually found in a movie, presented it with ease, and ended without any resolution people thought it would, yet at the end, it was still so satisfactory and perfectly well-assembled. While many movies have betrayed themselves for the sake of a crowd pleasing ending, Suicide Club goes all the way, leaving you with questions to interpret among yourselves. The film is graphically violent and equally disturbing in content and imagery, but Sono has the skills to tackle the subject matter with ease and efficiency, making a film as thought-provoking, and at times darkly, disturbingly funny, as it is bold.

The sentence in bold is what sold it.

So, Suicide Club is the movie the still has been taken from.

Incidentally: that image... well, if you guys ever see the movie you'll finally understand what the quote "Mom's funny," is really all about. And it's something that you'll maybe want to scrub from your brain.

Ah, what a great scene it is too. Suicide Club it is, for the win! At least I know a movie I disliked convinced someone to see one I love :D

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 am
Neat!

Someone, anyone, your time has come to post a still from any film you like. Adios.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 am

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 am
Director

In The Mouth Of Madness?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:06 am
Seven?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 pm
No and no. Hint: The Criterion Collection's involved.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm
Director

Shock Corridor?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm
Does this mean that Pedro won the game? ;)

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm
It may be more fun to pick slightly less obscure films, but post a (if available) difficult to place image from said film and go from there. Not that I'm any good at it, but that way we might have more throughput. And maybe have a limit on consecutive turns for those who can't access the site as regularly as others. Like if you get two in a row, then pass your turn on to another as we've kinda been doin already... :idea: :?: :geek:

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 am
Critic

Well since this game is fun and got stuck on Pedro's scorching hard one, I'm going to break the rules and put up another movie. Hopefully Pedro will understand.

Attachments:
What am I.jpg
What am I.jpg [ 12.81 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:04 am
I know what this one is, but I'll let someone else get it. The last one was Dog Star Man by Stan Brakhage.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Jaws, baby.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm
Ken wrote:
Jaws, baby.

I just got a flashback to the Tropic Thunder commentary, Downey Jr used those exact words (in character of course) whilst educating Jack Black on exactly who Robert Shaw was.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 pm
Critic

I miss Robert Shaw. I'd have his babies if he asked nicely. Or gruffly, really

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 pm
Here's one for ya:

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am
Hell I'll give it a guess. Willow.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm
Isn't that the guy from Ghostbusters?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 481  Next