Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm

The 35th Anniversary of Airplane! 
Second Unit Director

Post The 35th Anniversary of Airplane!
I had mentioned this movie as one of those that "influenced the movie world" in that thread. If not for this one, there might have been no South Park, Scary Movie series, Date Movie, etc. etc. (for better or worse).

Recent interview with David Zucker here:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/airplane-d ... 93132.html

I was in 6th grade when this came out; didn't see it till 8th grade on cable TV at someone else's house. Much of the humor was over my head....but I do recall the brief boob shot very vividly from that day.

Last edited by Johnny Larue on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: The 35th Anniversary of Airplane!
Watched this last week with my 11 year old son. We both had a ball. I did need to explain some of the humor that related to other well known movies of the time to him, but the cornball stuff is still classic. Funny, but one of the reasons we watched it was to catch the little bits with Kareem Abdul Jabbar since my boy was working on an assignment about him for black history month. Held off on discussions about the auto pilot for now though. Great, great comedy.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:05 am
Second Unit Director

I actually grew up a few city blocks from where the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrahams grew up (though they were 20+ years older than me), so they have always been local favorite sons.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am
Assistant Director

CasualDad wrote:
Watched this last week with my 11 year old son. We both had a ball. I did need to explain some of the humor that related to other well known movies of the time to him, but the cornball stuff is still classic. Funny, but one of the reasons we watched it was to catch the little bits with Kareem Abdul Jabbar since my boy was working on an assignment about him for black history month. Held off on discussions about the auto pilot for now though. Great, great comedy.

That autopilot was hilarious lol

Attachments:
autopilot.JPG
autopilot.JPG [ 25.44 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The auto-pilot (and Airplane theme in general) was resurrected for a Wisconsin Tourism ad last year. (Minus the auto-pilot's...um...blow hole.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrV43xB6yY

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 am
Director

I'll just chime in to say that Airplane is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is hilarious, and never fails to make me laugh.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:54 am
Producer

Funniest movie of all time. Back when spoof movies were actually funny. Between this and the Naked Gun movies, Leslie Nielsen ruled the 80's.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 am
Director

As much as I like this, I still think their follow-up, "Top Secret!," is a lot funnier. There are many less obvious jokes, and its simultaneous spoofing of 2 highly disparate movie types (the WWII espionage thriller and the Elvis musical) is the kind of totally-out-of-left-field concept I love. 8-)

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:59 am
Director

I'm trying to remember. Is Airplane! the one where the two blacks are speaking incomprehensibly and a little old lady volunteers, "I speak jive"?

These all belong to the school of 'throw a thousand jokes and hope most of them stick.' Is Airplane 2 good?

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:25 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I'm trying to remember. Is Airplane! the one where the two blacks are speaking incomprehensibly and a little old lady volunteers, "I speak jive"?

These all belong to the school of 'throw a thousand jokes and hope most of them stick.' Is Airplane 2 good?

Yep, the jive talking lady's from this movie, all right.

I really liked the second Hot Shots movie.

"These men have taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them... "

Prime Minister Soto: President Benson, where's your first lady?

President Thomas 'Tug' Benson: I don't know. I've had lots of women. Lost my flower at the age of 15. I can't keep track.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Syd Henderson wrote:

"A little old lady"?!? Another great example of casting against type in this movie. That little old lady is Barbara Billingsley, aka Beaver Cleaver's mom from "Leave It To Beaver." Very funny bit.

It's been many, many years since I saw Airplane 2 but don't recall it being that good. It was sort of a cash grab by Paramount. None of the writers/directors/creators of the original were involved in the sequel.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 am
Cinematographer

The jive talk is still funny without the connection, but for anyone familiar with the June Cleaver character, as most people were at the time of release, it is outrageously funny. It has become common to incorporate goody two shoes typecast actors in contrary roles, but all too often it runs (too far) over into vulgarity these days.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am