Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

Greatest Movie President 
Post Re: Greatest Movie President
Talisker wrote:
kwiatal wrote:
President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

In case you don't know, that's Camacho himself saying that you're crazy, and should vote for Jack Bauers.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:17 pm
Agree with Anthony Hopkins in Nixon.

Also, Kevin Kline in Dave.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:26 pm
Zaphod Beeblebrox - President of the Galaxy man yeah come on...

:mrgreen:

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:17 pm
Hands-down, Michael Douglas in The American President. A wonderful film and a President I'd vote for easily (and as a Nader supporter, that's saying a lot :P).

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:04 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

MusicManSamwise wrote:
For myself, I thought both Kelsey Grammar and Dennis Hopper made for a believable/likable president and candidate in last year's Swing Vote.

I never saw this. I thought the trailer made them look a lot like James Garner and Jack Lemmon in My Fellow Americans. (That's not a good thing.) But if the Presidents hold the movie together it might be worth a shot.[/quote]

Haha, i liked my fellow americans despite its flaws it was funny. have to remember they were playing mid 90's caricatures of repub and dems and those have changed, matt douglas is obv a Bill Clinton derivative and russell cramer is obv a george hw bush derivative.

i thought swing votes was well done and they both drew from several repub and dems...denis hopper seemed to be an amalgamation of jimmy carter, john kerry, and al gore but more likeable and personable then the latter 2. kelsey grammer to me seemed to be a more urbane version of W, untexified, maybe a younger HW? with some Reagan sprinkled in. Both were very likeable and that made the movie work.

Michael Douglas was very good at playing president all though noone that liberal ever would win or be close being reelected. Martin Sheen's bartlet is EXCELLENT, also very centrist which makes it easier to like him on top of his personal attributes. Really wish Alan Alda's character had won, think hed fictionally have been a good president.

West wing-philes will recall Acting President Glenallen walken, hes my favorite TV. As far as movie Harrison Ford's in AF1 is good i think.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:33 pm
Morgan Freeman in "Deep Impact" for two reasons:
1) he is Morgan Freeman ('nuff said) - there is an honesty about this fine actor which equals the likes of honest Hank (Fonda).
2) it was a bold move to cast an African-American in that role. Now it proved to be visionary. Home run!

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 pm
You can stop tha argument now. Peter Sellers. (Dr Strangelove)

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:22 pm
Cinematographer

Zedferret wrote:
You can stop tha argument now. Peter Sellers. (Dr Strangelove)

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Yeah, thats a pretty good one. Haha! Merkin... That's dirty...

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:14 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Is a spoiler tag necessary for DAVE, a film released in 1993? Maybe not, but just in case:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I like the scene near the end of DAVE when Kevin Kline speaks with the Vice President (Ben Kingsley) about succeeding him when the real president's medical situation becomes known. Kingsley was able to take a minor role in the film and create a memorable moment that I've never forgotten. He comes across as a sincere, decent man. Kevin Kline was the actual president, but I liked the promise shown by Kingsley's character as the future president.

Senator Bulworth (Warren Beatty) would've been an entertaining president.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 am