Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 am

Greatest Movie President 
Post Greatest Movie President
For me the greatest movie president is easily Jeff Bridges in The Contender. He's the one movie president I know without a doubt that I'd vote for. He's an unbelievably shrewd politician, delivers a good speech, disarms/manipulates enemies/friends brilliantly.

Some other notables off the top of my head:

I don't really like Dave because the way he "fixes" things--in a cabinet meeting in like an hour--is too fairy tale-ish.

Andrew Shepherd in The American President is good but he never gets reelected "going door to door" to collect people's guns.

Tom Beck in Deep Impact is Morgan Freeman, and thus awesome.

President Staton in American Dreamz is a liberal fantasy of W. Bush, and that makes him interesting. I think a lot of people would like to believe that W. was suckered into a lot of his policies by the people his daddy made sure he surrounded himself with. So Dennis Quaid's president is fun in that way.

I love President Whitmore in Independence Day for his awesome speech (over the top, but don't you think alien invasion warrants some hyperbole?), but he gets docked for actually going up in a fighter plane. If he goes down, who the hell is left to take over? The not-officially-fired Secretary of Defense?

So what does everyone else think?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:21 am
Post Re: Greatest Movie President
Not from a movie, but no one comes close to Martin Sheen's Jed Bartlet. Brilliant from the first episode to the last.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:28 am
President Walker from Air Force One. I like to see Obama kill some terrorists that hijacked his plane with his bare hands.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 am
Deep Impact

and

from TV land

24's David Palmer would be my choices

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:20 pm
Definitely Morgan Freeman in DEEP IMPACT.

If Freeman ever ran for President, he's got my vote.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 pm
I loved the guy who played the president in the Jodie foster starrer "contact"

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:52 pm
Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:47 pm
rishi85 wrote:
I loved the guy who played the president in the Jodie foster starrer "contact"

Yeah, you don't really see him doing much these days, do you? :D

For myself, I thought both Kelsey Grammar and Dennis Hopper made for a believable/likable president and candidate in last year's Swing Vote.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:07 pm
BrianB wrote:
Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove.

Absolutely. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" Now that's leadership.

MusicManSamwise wrote:
For myself, I thought both Kelsey Grammar and Dennis Hopper made for a believable/likable president and candidate in last year's Swing Vote.

I never saw this. I thought the trailer made them look a lot like James Garner and Jack Lemmon in My Fellow Americans. (That's not a good thing.) But if the Presidents hold the movie together it might be worth a shot.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 pm
I didn't care for the American President because of the movie's embarrassingly heavy-handed politics.

Harrison Ford in Air Force 1 gets my vote :p

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm
Michael Douglas is phenomenal- just judging from the way he bears himself and perhaps the ridiculous politics aside, he's very 'presidential', and I think of all of the aforementioned he's the best actor (with morgan freeman coming a close second however he takes himself over the top too seriously, granted there is a meteor and all.. and I'd like to think Andrew Sheppard can command the room yet still appear believable). The way he walks out of his final speech comes to mind, when he has the staff meeting about the Libya bombing. A lot of this movie is permanently burned into my head given the experience.. watched it on the way to Varadero.. note to future travellers.. Cuban customs + copy of "The American President" DVD won't get you fast line bypass, haha.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 pm
I agree that Michael Douglas is very presidential despite definitely heavy-handed politics. I always find it incredibly ridiculous that anyone thought a president could repair his image and regain a lead against a surging Republican opponent by vowing to go "door to door" to collect people's guns in support of his super-liberal crime bill. That's just not going to improve your numbers--I promise.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 pm
The first two posts nailed it! In the movies, Jeff Bridges is the type of politician you can get behind, and I don't know that any medium has seen a better president than President Bartlet from the West Wing.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:19 pm
I would say Peter Sellers in Strangelove or as a sub Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks haha.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:29 am
In the spirit of the movie, I got two words for y'all:

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho (from "Idiocracy")

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 am
Bill Pullman - Independance Day

For giving a rousing speech before kicking some serious alien butt - I'd vote for that guy any day.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 am
Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of Richard Nixon in Oliver Stone's biopic. Hopkins just NAILED EVERY physical, vocal, etc mannerism of one of our former (very)flawed President.

Tom Hanks was initially given this role-Hanks is a very good actor, but there was NO way he could have pulled this role off. Jack Nicholson was also offered this role-him playing the part would have been interesting.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:03 am
A second vote for Independence Day. Man, that speech brings tears to my eyes. :D

Plus, the look on Pullman's face when he finds out that Area 51 is all true. "Uh, Mr. President... That's not entirely...accurate." Priceless.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm
Three words: Air Force 1

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:07 pm
kwiatal wrote:
President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:09 pm