Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 pm

When was your first visit to Reelviews? 
Post Re: When was your first visit to Reelviews?
1996, Mission Impossible. Probably within a month of first getting an internet connection at home.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:15 pm
I think it was for Die Another Day back in 2002. Bad start, since I agree completely with his review of it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:20 pm
I believe it was for The Village, in 2004. While James liked it, I loved it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:48 pm
I think it was around 2003..I was looking for a review for Minority Report.

But his and Ebert's are the only review sites I visit now.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:50 pm
1998- Saving Private Ryan. His was one of the first posted on IMDB, so I checked it out, and was impressed with the writing. Discovered his taste in movies is strikingly similar, so he became my litmus test for picking movies. He's the only one I still regularly check out.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 pm
2002. I was looking for reviews of Dire Another Day and Star Trek Nemesis. Agreed totally about the former, the latter I quite enjoyed.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 pm
Probably 1998-99. I think I found it by searching for reviews for some movie I'd just seen. Actually, I'll revise that to 1996, since I think it was Bound. Certainly the reviews had both the 10 point and four star ratings then. I agree with at least 90% of James' opinions of movies, and he's the only reviewer I read regularly.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 pm
Circa 2000-2002. I just really enjoy his writing. His reviews for movies he rates as 1 star or worse can be pretty hilarious.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:51 pm
1995 or 1996 - I was randomly browsing movie titles on google et al, and ran into this web site. After reading some of the reviews JB posted on here, I instantly became a fan of his writing.

Since then, I've emailed him every now and then with questions(with some being non-movie related), and he's politely responded each time.

BTW-prior to him posting his picture on the old Online Film Critics Society web site(or here, forgot which one I first saw it on), I envisioned him as having similar looks to Oliver Platt(the actor from A Time to Kill and Executive Decision), for some reason.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:07 am
I remember reading the Reelviews review of LA Confidential in 1997. I may have visited the site before then, though - hard to remember now.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 am
I've been reading Reelviews since the late 90s.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 am
A year or two ago, looking for reviews of some Arnie movies.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm
I think I started back in 1997, not long after beginning college and experiencing high-speed internet for the first time. :) I remember reading his Titanic review when it first hit...so I know it had to be have been not long before then.

Erik

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:37 pm
Must have been around 2002. I think I got here through a recommendation on Jabootu.com (now .net). Another great site.

This forum was a great idea, by the way.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:23 pm
1999. I was 12 and reading as many The Phantom Menace reviews I could find. I liked this sight and I've been a regular ever since.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:30 pm
i got here from MRQE.com about 3 yearsago

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm
Would have been in my second or more likely third year of university: ~1999, and I have been visiting faithfully since. And no I don't remember what I was doing 10 years ago when I found it.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 pm
I think I got here when I first realized that movies were reviewed online (or even reviewed at all...I was so ignorant), and got excited and searched around randomly everywhere and ended up coming to Reelviews and looking at his review of "In the Land of Women". I got another link later to his review of some PG-13 Ghost story, "The Condemned" or something like that. I loved his description of "Boo!" moments and enjoyed his panning of the movie. I started to look up other stuff too like "Grudge" and found out that not everyone thought it was awesome like my friends did. After that I started spending long afternoons pretending to do my school work as I read his reviews, until eventually I read (I think) every one on the orginal site.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:52 pm