Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:26 pm

When was your first visit to Reelviews? 
Post When was your first visit to Reelviews?
Well, I still remember my first visit. I was on RottenTomatoes, looking at the meter for Deep Blue Sea and followed a link to his review.

Here I still am all these years later. Loving every review.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:20 am
Post Re: When was your first visit to Reelviews?
I don't remember exactly, but i do remember getting here from rottentomatoes.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 am
I believe it was in early 2000, though I don't recall for sure.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 am
I first found my way here in about 2001 while looking for reviews of some movie I had just rented named Memento.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 am
In 2004, a few weeks before he posted his "Half time Top 10". I don't remember what the first review I read was, but I know that I have pored through almost every one since. One of my fondest memories is a nice, solitary walk in summer 2005 while reading a reelthought of his.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:50 am
December 2001. I first took an interest in reading Internet film criticism after I saw A Beautiful Mind, which some might dismiss as minor Hollywood fare but it was certainly one of the densest things I'd seen as a 12-year-old. James' review, which I believe I read after searching for Ebert's and getting redirected to Ebert's glowing commentary on ReelViews, echoed my thoughts almost entirely.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:06 am
I think it must have been in 2000 or even earlier. I distinctly remember anticipating the review for Fellowship of the Ring in 2001 to catch JB's view on whether the film fitted the hype.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 am
I can't remember exactly but I know I found it through Rotten Tomatoes. I found several sites there that I read for a while--Filmsnobs, Supercala--but Reelviews is the only one I still read. I know I was reading regularly before the top 100 started, so whenever that was.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:53 am
Gosh, first found him on usenet way way back in the day, probably 95-96, I thought, wow, someone crazy like me, regular job, and he sees a ton of movies and writes good reviews!

Followed him from there on out although I lost him for a bit in the initial transfer Probably back then visited his site at least several times per week, I have had the pleasure of reading thousands of his words and views.

Thanks James,

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 am
I think I have been there from the first day of Reelviews. I was reading James' reviews already when he was still posting them on Usenet, around 1993/1994, later he had kind of a subscription service (if I remember correctly) where you got the newest reviews mailed to you, after that came Reelviews. I'm still reading everything he writes. :)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:53 am
Woo marc thats f^ckin cool man and I thought I was the oldest :lol:
Anyways I started around 2002 and the movie was Jerry mcguire although I can be wrong

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:07 am
Man, must have been around.... 2002-ish if I had to guess. Seems like forever though.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:12 am
Wow...that must've been sometime in 1998-99. Back then Reelviews was on colossus I think. Though I stumbled on Reelviews by accident (thru the critics review section on yahoo movies)...it has become a habit now. I may not agree with James on some of his views..but Reelviews has been a pretty good barometer and I like the articulate way in which the reviews are structured...which is all what one asks of a reviewer.

Cheers and way to go...

Rahul

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 am
Wow, all long-time readers. I've only been reading JB's reviews since 2005. :oops: I found it through MRQE, which had ReelViews as the very first link every time. At first I read a few sites, but soon enough I was reading only ReelViews and Ebert.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 am
I remember the first review of his I read, the second Mortal Kombat movie. It was when he was doing his Top 100 project

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 am
Around 1998.
I found the site through Yahoo!'s search engine while searching for ''Titanic'''s reviews.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:10 pm
Probably around 2001, or 2002. I remember getting here from an External Review link at the IMDB.

I started visiting regularly in 2004, around the time images got included in the reviews.

Definitely one of the best movie review sites on the web.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 pm
I'd guess sometime in 1998. Possibly through MRQE.
Over the years my 'net access has fluctuated somewhat and so many of my 'Favourites' have been lost to time. I've always sought out Reelviews though. It was such a relief when the domain was changed to what it is now so that I could memorise it!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 pm
I can't be sure but I believe around 2001-2002.

I found his site by chance just jumping around from various film review sites.

And I've been coming back ever since :D

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:52 pm
I believe that it was 2007, I linked here from Rotten Tomatoes... have been coming back ever since, and to see the progress it has made, now with a forum, it's unbelievable.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:04 pm