Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Author Message
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
.

The Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom: I am convinced that, despite the size of the egos of James Cameron, Kevin Costner and Harvey Weinstein, there is no one in Hollywood who is more in love with himself than Wes Anderson. Both of his movies are so cutesy and self important that I wanted to barf. Every second is like "ooh, look how indie I am! Look how I'm rejecting mainstream sensibilities!" Guess what, Wes? NO ONE CARES! You're no better than Len Wiseman, a hack whose only talent is to make the movie look good. But while his movies actually have stuff going on, your don't have any change in perspective and look like one of those pretentious arthouse movies that give foreign films a bad name.


How does Wes Anderson give foreign films a bad name? Also, Moonrise Kingdom has a 94% on Rottentomatoes and has been making good money all summer. So I'd say that someone cares...


You'd feel the same way if Anderson had raped and murdered your family, James. Joanna Moviemkr7, Sweetpaws McGee-Moviemkr7 (the poster's seen-it-all dog)... fuck. Poor, poor Sweetpaws. Sweetpaws!!! And how Anderson taunts the guy, putting clues into all of his movies as to the whereabouts of moviemkr7's dad's severed head... the beach dance sequence on the beach in Moonrise Kingdom is the same dance that Anderson did while he had his way with the goldfish. Sick.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Why does Moonrise Kingdom deserve to be punished for doing something different?


Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 am
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 957
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Mark III wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
.

The Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom: I am convinced that, despite the size of the egos of James Cameron, Kevin Costner and Harvey Weinstein, there is no one in Hollywood who is more in love with himself than Wes Anderson. Both of his movies are so cutesy and self important that I wanted to barf. Every second is like "ooh, look how indie I am! Look how I'm rejecting mainstream sensibilities!" Guess what, Wes? NO ONE CARES! You're no better than Len Wiseman, a hack whose only talent is to make the movie look good. But while his movies actually have stuff going on, your don't have any change in perspective and look like one of those pretentious arthouse movies that give foreign films a bad name.


How does Wes Anderson give foreign films a bad name? Also, Moonrise Kingdom has a 94% on Rottentomatoes and has been making good money all summer. So I'd say that someone cares...


You'd feel the same way if Anderson had raped and murdered your family, James. Joanna Moviemkr7, Sweetpaws McGee-Moviemkr7 (the poster's seen-it-all dog)... fuck. Poor, poor Sweetpaws. Sweetpaws!!! And how Anderson taunts the guy, putting clues into all of his movies as to the whereabouts of moviemkr7's dad's severed head... the beach dance sequence on the beach in Moonrise Kingdom is the same dance that Anderson did while he had his way with the goldfish. Sick.



Wha? :?

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
moviemkr7 wrote:
Wha? :?


Clearly you've never read my posts or else you'd have figured out my M.O. by now.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:50 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1571
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Vexer wrote:
Heavy Metal didn't do much for me, but I didn't hate it.


I saw HM in bits and pieces on TV before it finally got a video release in 1996. I was still in HS (about to start my sneior year) so parts of it worked for me. But even then I noted it was kinda dumb. Enjoyable but dumb. I bought the VHS of it and owned it for a couple years. Watched it a few times before it became one of the first mpvies I ever gave away. A while back I saw the DVD on sale and contemplated re-buying it for fun. But I figured the Heavy Metal experience isn't worth reliving in your thirties.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Pret a Porter and Very Bad Things. God, I HATE those films.

Scent of a Woman and Charlie's Angels II would also go on the list. Horrible. CAII is the only film I have ever stopped and not finished.


Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:58 pm
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
MunichMan wrote:
Pret a Porter and Very Bad Things. God, I HATE those films.

Scent of a Woman and Charlie's Angels II would also go on the list. Horrible. CAII is the only film I have ever stopped and not finished.

Agreed on "Scent" easily the most embarassing moment of Pacino's career(yes even moreso then 88 Minute, which was tolerable by comparison) Very Bad Things seems to be one of those that you either really like or really hate, there's not much middle-ground, I didn't care much for it myself. I enjoyed the hell out of CAII, just curious, how far into the film did you get? I dare you to finish it! :lol:


Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:56 pm
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Making Love

A depraved, soul crushing, heteronormative, shitstorm of a film. As I wrote on my blog, I would rather make love to a rabid pack of feces flinging howler monkeys than see this film again.


Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:42 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2102
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Vexer wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
Pret a Porter and Very Bad Things. God, I HATE those films.

Scent of a Woman and Charlie's Angels II would also go on the list. Horrible. CAII is the only film I have ever stopped and not finished.

Agreed on "Scent" easily the most embarassing moment of Pacino's career(yes even moreso then 88 Minute, which was tolerable by comparison) Very Bad Things seems to be one of those that you either really like or really hate, there's not much middle-ground, I didn't care much for it myself. I enjoyed the hell out of CAII, just curious, how far into the film did you get? I dare you to finish it! :lol:


Wow, the three of us agree on Scent of a Woman? It's time to give Pacino an Oscar and you give it to him for one of the worst performances of his career?

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:00 am
Profile
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
thered47 wrote:
Making Love

A depraved, soul crushing, heteronormative, shitstorm of a film. As I wrote on my blog, I would rather make love to a rabid pack of feces flinging howler monkeys than see this film again.

Damn.

Harsh words for a movie named after one of the best parts of being human.

(I appreciate the irony of appropriating the title for your evisceration of the movie, by the by.)


Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:08 am
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:


'Funny Games' (Haneke, 1997/2007)
This film shoved it in my face and told me I was wrong for having cancer.


There are two types of people in the world: people who realize that Funny Games is brilliant, and people who are wrong


Cache is brilliant. As is Funny Games, but to what purpose? It does a very good job of demonizing you for suffering its white-washed sadism, but not for the purpose of evaluation. It's intent is purely to turn you off, "if you can't finish the film you dont need it, and if can you do" to paraphrase its director. I found the idea of sitting through the film once insulting, twice a insult on myself. I don't like sitting through a film where the sole purpose is to tell me I shouldn't have sat through the film, and no matter how good it is at accomplishing its purpose that doesn't change the fact that its an anti-purpose in direct assault against the audience. It's in every conceived way an 'anti' movie, and its disgusted rage is aimed directly at and against the audience; slowly ticking away on its glorified mechanism. I understand your movie, thus I will not watch it. Cache opened up a mystery on several planes and dimensions founded upon a question, Funny Games closed off an art form in realization of a thesis statement as hate speech.


Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:52 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1296
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Ken wrote:
thered47 wrote:
Making Love

A depraved, soul crushing, heteronormative, shitstorm of a film. As I wrote on my blog, I would rather make love to a rabid pack of feces flinging howler monkeys than see this film again.

Damn.

Harsh words for a movie named after one of the best parts of being human.

You're aware that other animals also have sex, right? (Though it's strictly business for them.) :P


Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:40 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7433
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:


'Funny Games' (Haneke, 1997/2007)
This film shoved it in my face and told me I was wrong for having cancer.


There are two types of people in the world: people who realize that Funny Games is brilliant, and people who are wrong


Cache is brilliant. As is Funny Games, but to what purpose? It does a very good job of demonizing you for suffering its white-washed sadism, but not for the purpose of evaluation. It's intent is purely to turn you off, "if you can't finish the film you dont need it, and if can you do" to paraphrase its director. I found the idea of sitting through the film once insulting, twice a insult on myself. I don't like sitting through a film where the sole purpose is to tell me I shouldn't have sat through the film, and no matter how good it is at accomplishing its purpose that doesn't change the fact that its an anti-purpose in direct assault against the audience. It's in every conceived way an 'anti' movie, and its disgusted rage is aimed directly at and against the audience; slowly ticking away on its glorified mechanism. I understand your movie, thus I will not watch it. Cache opened up a mystery on several planes and dimensions founded upon a question, Funny Games closed off an art form in realization of a thesis statement as hate speech.


Oh I don't think Funny Games is attempting to turn you off at all. For instance, it has almost no gore whatsoever and every act of violence either takes place offscreen or is edited in such a way as to dilute its impact. The one scene in Cache -- you know which one I mean -- is fare more violent than anything in Funny Games. Funny Games serves to critcize the nature of horror films and the people who watch them, and is as good a cinematic polemic as any I've seen. You haven't watched a violent home invasion movie at the end of the movie (like, say, Straw Dogs), you've been reminded how rather odd it is that you would ever want to.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 am
Profile
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ken wrote:
thered47 wrote:
Making Love

A depraved, soul crushing, heteronormative, shitstorm of a film. As I wrote on my blog, I would rather make love to a rabid pack of feces flinging howler monkeys than see this film again.

Damn.

Harsh words for a movie named after one of the best parts of being human.

You're aware that other animals also have sex, right? (Though it's strictly business for them.) :P


Hell, sex for pleasure isn't strictly a human thing either. There are other animals that occasionally engage in sex purely for enjoyment or bonding.


Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 am
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
JamesKunz: Well nobody really "wants" to view a violent home invasion scene, but they expect a home invasion scene to be violent. Funny Games irritated me because the filmmakers thought they were SOOOOO fucking clever with shit like the "rewind" scene and trying to "shame" the audience :roll: Well I guess they partially succeeded, I was ashamed to be watching such a piece of shit film(and also ashamed of Naomi Watts for starring in the film, even The Ring 2 wasn't as bad as this)

There was another film called "The Last Horror Movie" which had similar issues as Funny Games, trying to "shame" people for liking violence and crap like that.


Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Even though I've long since been spoiled by the "twists", I'm still very much intrigued by Funny Games. I need to watch it at some point.


Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:09 pm
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
H.I. McDonough wrote:
You're aware that other animals also have sex, right? (Though it's strictly business for them.) :P

Yes, my dog "made love" to my shoe just the other day. It was beautiful.


Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:10 pm
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 957
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Ken wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
You're aware that other animals also have sex, right? (Though it's strictly business for them.) :P

Yes, my dog "made love" to my shoe just the other day. It was beautiful.


Actually, Dolphins have sex for pleasure too. They are the only animal other than humans to do so.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
moviemkr7 wrote:
Ken wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
You're aware that other animals also have sex, right? (Though it's strictly business for them.) :P

Yes, my dog "made love" to my shoe just the other day. It was beautiful.


Actually, Dolphins have sex for pleasure too. They are the only animal other than humans to do so.


I love Internet Expertise and I love guesses at how animal minds work.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:29 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 423
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Mark III wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Actually, Dolphins have sex for pleasure too. They are the only animal other than humans to do so.


I love Internet Expertise and I love guesses at how animal minds work.


Well I can only speak from personal experience, but all the dolphins I've screwed seemed to enjoy themselves.


Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Gedmud, Google [Bot], MGamesCook and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr