Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
stiefmo wrote:

Also Patrick, while I tend to stand behind a lot of opinions I can't agree with you here. These books have been trashed by fellow fantasy writers including most notably Stephen King "Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

Did you miss the part where I called the first book an abortion? I said the first movie was mediocre....New Moon and Eclipse, the books, are much better. So much so that I think they were ghost-written. Then there's Breaking Dawn.....it exists.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:55 pm
For me, there's nothing worse than an unfunny comedy, so I have to mention Norbit. That movie is an embarrassment and excruciating to watch.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:13 am
Director

neco82 wrote:
For me, there's nothing worse than an unfunny comedy, so I have to mention Norbit. That movie is an embarrassment and excruciating to watch.

A bad drama could get a fewlaughs for it's badness, but a bad comedy is just a life-drainer.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Profile YIM
JamesKunz wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
'Hell, I hate The Dark Knight more than Batman and Robin.'

This is not implying that you hate 'The Dark Knight', is it? I mean, I don't like banning people out of spite, but then again I can't think of a more honorable abuse of my power than in that film's honor :)

I don't hate the film per se, but I really hate how much people loved it. It was overlong, riddled with plot holes, and fell apart in the third act, yet people think it's a great film. Ugh.

While there are a few plot holes I can name off the top of my head, most of them are inconsequential. What are you talking about? Also, I found the third act to be fantastic and epic, but I won't criticize an opinion.

I agree with you on "Batman and Robin" though. The movie, specifically it's dialogue, isn't dumb per se. It's just so over the top childish that it makes most cartoons look mature by comparison. But I liked it in a goofy way.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:39 pm
Critic

My problems with the third act of The Dark Knight...

1. Harvey Dent's ridiculous character switch. He's so angry at his beloved getting killed that he...joins her murderer? That makes sense. He keeps railing against Batman for saving him instead of going for her, and since this is an idiot plot no one mentions to old Harvey that Batman TRIED to save Rachel but was deceived by the Joker. Good going screenwriters.

2. The gigantic deus ex machina. The plot of the Dark Knight revolves around...a machine that shows where everyone in the universe is at any given time. Yep. Lucius Fox invented such a machine. Good going screenwriters.

3. The fantabulous non-climax. The sweet sweet prisoners decide not to blow each other up (if the movie would have had real balls someone would have pulled the trigger to blow up the other boat...only to discover the trigger activated the bomb on their boat, but never mind) and Batman uses the everyone in the Universe machine to find the Joker, except we never see if he gets arrested/escapes/whatever because Batman has to rush off to find the newly minted Second Villain, Harvey Dent. Good going screenwriters

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:38 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
2. The gigantic deus ex machina. The plot of the Dark Knight revolves around...a machine that shows where everyone in the universe is at any given time. Yep. Lucius Foxinvented such a machine. Good going screenwriters.

Bruce Wayne invented it, not Fox. Fox just used it.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 pm
Critic

Ahhh sorry about that. Just as absurd (if not more) that way though.

As for other movies I despise...

Wanted was two hours of such concentrated, unmitigated stupidity that it rose quickly up the ranks of my "hate" list

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:25 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Wanted was two hours of such concentrated, unmitigated stupidity that it rose quickly up the ranks of my "hate" list

Oh God, yes. What a pile of crap. See a wimpy guy get beat up, ridiculed, encased in a tub of quick drying cement, long after Angelina Jolie, try to curve bullets, get lectured by Ms. Jolie and Mr. Freeman, lather, rinse, repeat, successfully learn how to curve bullets and kill people a loom told him to kill. Sure.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Oh God, yes. What a pile of crap. See a wimpy guy get beat up, ridiculed, encased in a tub of quick drying cement, long after Angelina Jolie, try to curve bullets, get lectured by Ms. Jolie and Mr. Freeman, lather, rinse, repeat, successfully learn how to curve bullets and kill people a loom told him to kill. Sure.

Is that an attempt to make it sound stupid?
Cause that doesn't really work. When you're talking about Timur Bekmambetob you're talking about over-the-top action/comedy so describing how ridiculous it is is redundant.
While the mythology didn't hold together as well as his Night Watch/Day Watch movies, the action was just as fun and much higher budget.
Wanted was the most fun I've had watching an action movie since Shoot 'Em Up (admittedly not that long ago).

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:10 am
Trevor wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Is that an attempt to make it sound stupid?
Cause that doesn't really work. When you're talking about Timur Bekmambetob you're talking about over-the-top action/comedy so describing how ridiculous it is is redundant.
While the mythology didn't hold together as well as his Night Watch/Day Watch movies, the action was just as fun and much higher budget.
Wanted was the most fun I've had watching an action movie since Shoot 'Em Up (admittedly not that long ago).
Yeah same here, I loved Wanted for what it was, and why anyone would expect that film to be anything other thne completely ridiculous is beyond me.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:30 am
Director

No, it was what I consider to be an accurate description of a bad movie. If you and Vexer liked it, fantastic. I kind of liked Night Watch, so the only basis I have for my opinion of Timur Bekmambetov is that and Wanted (haven't seen 9, I nknow he ewas the producer). NW was a lot better than this, IMO. I was really looking forward to see Wanted, but my give-a-damn went out the window very quickly. I'm will never chastise you (or anyone) for your likes and dislikes, like Vexer and that dude with the Ming The Merciless avatar, or how you choose to describe anything you've seen. If you get insulted by how someone feels about a movie after watching it, get over it.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 am
Critic

My problem with Wanted is that it wants it both ways. It's not content to merely be incredibly over-the-top: it also wants you to care about the characters and nod solemnly when they take orders from the loom of fate. And that made it almost unwatchable for me

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 am
Wanted was very interesting at the beginning, when it was playing out like a low-rent version of Fight Club. Then it turned into a massive action-fest.

Not that there's anything wrong with a massive action-fest, but when the main character has nothing to drive him besides the needs of the story, it gets brain hurtingly stupid.

(That's right. "Hurtingly.")

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
No, it was what I consider to be an accurate description of a bad movie. If you and Vexer liked it, fantastic. I kind of liked Night Watch, so the only basis I have for my opinion of Timur Bekmambetov is that and Wanted (haven't seen 9, I nknow he ewas the producer). NW was a lot better than this, IMO. I was really looking forward to see Wanted, but my give-a-damn went out the window very quickly. I'm will never chastise you (or anyone) for your likes and dislikes, like Vexer and that dude with the Ming The Merciless avatar, or how you choose to describe anything you've seen. If you get insulted by how someone feels about a movie after watching it, get over it.

No need to jump to the "get over it" retort already.

I addressed what I thought was the purpose of your post (putting all the ridiculous sounding parts of Wanted into one sentence to make it sound extra stupid), and told you why I thought that strategy didn't make sense in this case.

Please don't jump right to pretending this is about personal insults--we were fully focused on the movie until you digressed.

JamesKunz's & Ken's responses elaborated on their dislike for the film, and I would be interested to see you explain your feelings as well in more detail than "my give-a-damn went out the window very quickly."

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
My problem with Wanted is that it wants it both ways. It's not content to merely be incredibly over-the-top: it also wants you to care about the characters and nod solemnly when they take orders from the loom of fate. And that made it almost unwatchable for me

I thought the loom of fate was cool, admittedly in a pretty ridiculous sort of way.
I disagree that we're supposed to nod solemnly about that or anything in the movie though.

As far as the characters go--I think little caring is needed other than a tiny little bit of identification with James MacAvoy's character. You're really just along for the ride, living the movie through him. You're not supposed to care about the characters any more than to say, aww that's too bad the rat guy died he was funny. Or, aww, Angelina died, but that was so bad ass!

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
My problems with the third act of The Dark Knight...

1. Harvey Dent's ridiculous character switch. He's so angry at his beloved getting killed that he...joins her murderer? That makes sense. He keeps railing against Batman for saving him instead of going for her, and since this is an idiot plot no one mentions to old Harvey that Batman TRIED to save Rachel but was deceived by the Joker. Good going screenwriters.

2. The gigantic deus ex machina. The plot of the Dark Knight revolves around...a machine that shows where everyone in the universe is at any given time. Yep. Lucius Fox invented such a machine. Good going screenwriters.

3. The fantabulous non-climax. The sweet sweet prisoners decide not to blow each other up (if the movie would have had real balls someone would have pulled the trigger to blow up the other boat...only to discover the trigger activated the bomb on their boat, but never mind) and Batman uses the everyone in the Universe machine to find the Joker, except we never see if he gets arrested/escapes/whatever because Batman has to rush off to find the newly minted Second Villain, Harvey Dent. Good going screenwriters

1. I agree with you partially, but on closer inspection Dent's character is a person that was on the verge of insanity already. His philisophical musings are bizarre and out of place, and I would have just rather him had used the coin flipping as an outlet for his insanity rather than his outlook on life. Other than the need to adhere very closely to the comics, Two Face was a convincingly tragic character. It's his time as Harvey Dent that is the best material.

By the way, it probably wouldn't have mattered if he were told that Batman was trying to save Rachael. He could have told off screen too.

2. I didn't like this either. It's ironic that a physical impossibility was included in a mostly realistic film, but I could suspend my disbelief.

3. What would the prisoners have gained from it? They were going back to prison regardless of what they did. Being a murderer doesn't mean you are lacking a conscious necessarily.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

You're telling me that you can swallow a car that transforms into a motorcycle, a billionaire dressed as a bat fighting crime who has the strength to bend a gun barrel, and a villian that wears face paint, lipstick, and has green hair, but you can/will not accept an invention that mimics sonar?

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:44 pm
Critic

stiefmo wrote:
You're telling me that you can swallow a car that transforms into a motorcycle, a billionaire dressed as a bat fighting crime who has the strength to bend a gun barrel, and a villian that wears face paint, lipstick, and has green hair, but you can/will not accept an invention that mimics sonar?

Don't be disingenuous Stiefmo. The entire point of the rebooted series is to be more realistic, more down to earth, less campy, and more grounded in reality. Batman Begins set this template. The batcave is, in fact, a cave. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire with average strength protected by really good technology that he DOESN'T tool together in his spare time, but gets built for him commercially. Every step is taken to make things much more believable. So the joker's face paint of course doesn't bother me. Jack Nicholson looked like a Hollywood makeup artist put on his paint. Heath Ledger, by contrast, wears a shitty makeup job that he could have put on himself. And THIS is why the ludicrous plot device is so troublesome. Because the goddamn movie takes such pains to ground itself in a believable reality, and then throws it out the window to smooth over some plot issues and maybe make some ham-handed social commentary.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:00 am
I mentioned this before...but avoid Phantoms. Contrary to what Jay would have you believe, Ben Affleck is certainly not the bomb in this movie, yoah.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I mentioned this before...but avoid Phantoms. Contrary to what Jay would have you believe, Ben Affleck is certainly not the bomb in this movie, yoah.

Jay is right, Affleck was the bomb! And the movie was also the bomb!

Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next