Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:18 am

Let me entertain you ! 
Assistant Director

Post Let me entertain you !
G'Day all,

I basically go to the cinema to be entertained, escape the daily routine and if I want to see realism in high doses well I tune the News in TV instead. It just came to my mind to make a list of films that I not only liked a lot but also re watched many times. Each representing a decade (top of re watches ) and none of them are Oscar worthy (except a category one for some) but definitely very enjoyable in my view and above all is my taste , my list and if you do not agree then make your own list here. You can skip decades if you wish so. In fact I would love to see other recommendations of very entertaining movies from other forum members.

1920s : Sherlock Jr (1924)
    I am not a fan of silent films and I have not seen many but this is the only one that I have seen more than once from this decade. It made me sporadically laugh out loud and even enjoyed the stunts and visual effects. You can watch it for free in YouTube.

1930s: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
    Forget Russell Crowe or Kevin Costner or any other, if you want to see the Robin Hood character at his best then you have to see this legendary performance from Errol Flynn. This film is a member of the Great Movie list from the late Roger Ebert.

1940s : The Mark of Zorro (1940)
    Again forget Antonio Banderas or Alain Delon and Fairbanks was more athletic but if you want to see The Zorro character at his best overall then you have to see this great performance from Tyrone Power. For me It's one of the all-time great swashbucklers films.

1950s : The Big Country (1958)
    Filled with movie stars (Jean Simmons , Charlton Heston and Burl Ives among others) , great music and a Gregory Peck playing an un conventional hero for a western. I have seen this film more times than the good, the bad and the ugly ;-)

1960s : Goldfinger (1964)
    I ,very likely, have not seen any other movie more times than Goldfinger. Enough said !!!

1970s : Star Wars (1977)
    The ultimate space opera ride. The gold standard for space opera films

1980s : Batman (1989)
    A truly dark entertainment film with Tim Burton directing at his best flair and Keaton gives us the best Batman so far although I am looking forward for Ben Affleck's performance in 2016.

1990s : Jurassic Park (1993)
    Well Jaws did not make it as top in the 70s but Spielberg's Jurassic Park has as many thrills or more and let me tell you that the 3D conversion is awesome !

2000s : Avatar (2009)
    Director James Cameron raised the bar for 3D making films. A technologically well made movie, still the gold standard for 3D and with great story telling. A must have 3D blu ray if you collect them!

2010s : The Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
    It has not been a film that I have seen more times this decade so far. A very entertaining movie if you are a science fiction fan and still amusing if you are not. Tom Cruise at his best and if you personally do not like him, well he gets killed many time over in the film lol

What do you think? I'd love to see your list !

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:40 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Let me entertain you !
I can't say there are any films at this point that I re-visit pre 60's, so I'll keep it 60's onward.

1960's: Psycho. I find it endlessly watchable. It was shown in my film studies class in high school (obviously) and the end actually startled the shit out of me. One girl cried.. which is almost laughable. Nevertheless, I think it's really good.

1970's: It's hard to choose so I'm going with two. Alien kicks ass, and it kicks it hard. The atmosphere in the film is so desperate and it's got some of the most effectively deliberate pacing I've ever seen. I'll also go with The Godfather, because it's all together charming, gritty, tight, and moving.

1980's: I guess it's no secret that I love Science Fiction.. or maybe it is around here. But no one that knows me would be surprised to see me choose Blade Runner as my 80's selection. This film moves me. I'm not sure what it is, but I think stylistically it really draws me in and refuses to let me disengage. I love the feel and tone of this movie. The music and the images really resonate with me I guess.

1990's: What a great decade of films. Although it probably isn't my favorite from the 90's, I do watch Titanic every year and I always look forward to it. Maybe it's the nostalgia of my 10 year old self crying endlessly when I first saw it, or maybe it's just a damn good movie.

2000's: How fucking good is The Departed?

2010's: It's pretty tough to know what I'll be revisiting from the 2010's right now, but what I can say is that Her was the most emotionally affecting movie I've ever seen. It felt like it was made for me, and that I saw it the exact day I needed to. I made some pretty huge life changes because of the feelings it invoked in me.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:08 am
Director

1920s : The Gold Rush (1925)
As much as I love him, this reminds me that there is still a lot of Chaplins I haven't seen (and should). Seen it twice and the pathos and humor work great each time.

1930s: Trouble in Paradise (1932)
One of the greatest romantic comedies ever made. Just endlessly delightful.

1940s : Casablanca (1942)
This one happens to be Oscar worthy. Above all it's fun and very rewatchable.

1950s : Singin' in the Rain (1952)
This is one of the hardest decades to choose, since it's one of the best and there are a lot I rewatch from it.

1960s : The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
Two musicals in a role but they couldn't be more different. Gorgeous both for the colors and Catherine Deneuve, and a great story which is quite a departure in tone from the usual musicals.

1970s : Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
My favorite director does my favorite sci-fi film.

1980s : The Breakfast Club (1985)
This decade is chokeful of purely fun movies which I rewatched a lot, but this one is a little more resonating to make me revisit quite a bit.

1990s : Speed (1994)
Before Sunrise narrowly misses for this decade. My favorite pure action film. I probably rewatch this the most on this list.

2000s : Be With You (2004)
There's no rational reason why I should love this film so much. Maybe for the gooey, life-affirming stuff in it.

2010s : Cloud Atlas (2012)
A weird choice (3-hour film) for a 'rewatchable and fun' category, but here we go.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:02 am
Critic

Excellent fodder for nuttage decade challenges!

Also, love your IMDB linking, Unwind. Might have to check out The Big Country now

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:53 am
Director

If you're talking pure entertainment, mine would go something like this:

Metropolis (1927) - This is my all time favorite film, primarily because it combines what I love most about movies all into one. It's a genre piece that is incredibly thought-provoking and also extremely entertaining. But make sure to see the complete restored version.

Modern Times (1936) - It's Chaplin, what more is there to say? Few filmmakers were so good at combining misery and comedy and making it such a complete package. If pure yuks are more your style, I would also recommend Duck Soup, which is possibly the Marx Brothers' best film.

It's A Wonderful Life (1946) - I've said it many times; if this movie doesn't make you feel anything then you have no soul.

North By Northwest (1959) - Hitch's most playful film, and one of his most entertaining. I don't know what it's all about despite having seen it four or five times; I just roll with it and have fun.

The Graduate (1967) - A more personal pick for me, because practically everything that happens in this movie has happened to me in real life...but it's also an immensely entertaining picture.

American Graffiti (1973) - Yes, Star Wars is the obvious choice, but for me George Lucas never got better than this. There's real feeling here, all set to a pretty awesome rock soundtrack. And it's got Wolfman Jack, so you know you can't go wrong.

The Terminator (1984) - A dirty little secret is that as the years have progressed, James Cameron's films have generally gotten worse. But Cameron in the 1980s was great, and The Terminator is one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made. Cameron never really topped this.

Clerks (1994) - Kevin Smith is a one-trick pony of ass and dick jokes, but when he is on he's really on. He's rarely done better than Clerks and its sequel, both of which showcase his knack for dialogue. Very, very funny.

Up In The Air (2009) - This also takes on some heavy themes, but it is a remarkably entertaining film as well. The greatest film of the 2000s, it features some of the best performances and sharpest writing of the decade.

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - Rarely has three hours gone by so fast. It's an amazing thing that at this late stage of his career, Scorsese is still pushing himself to create relevant and great work when most would be resting on their laurels. DiCaprio gives what is so far the best performance of his career.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm
Director

1940s: The Maltese Falcon. John Huston's directorial debut and the film that gave birth to film noir.

1950s: Sunset Boulevard. Definitely one of the top 5 of that decade and definitely my favorite Billy Wilder picture.

1960s: Dr. Strangelove. Best satire, best dark comedy, fantastic direction from Stanley Kubrick and Peter Sellers in top form.

1970s: Jaws. The best film of the decade from a pure entertainment perspective.

1980s: Die Hard. Maybe not the greatest action movie ever (there are a couple John Woo Hong Kong ones I'd rank ahead of it). But the best Hollywood one.

1990s: Dazed And Confused. Best teen movie of all-time and a fantastic mix of fun and melancholy.

2000s: Almost Famous. May be the greatest rock and roll movie ever.

2010s: Django Unchained. Not just mindless (there are points being made here. But on the whole, this Tarantino work seems the best choice for this list.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:56 pm
Director

Trying not to duplicate anyone:
1920s: The Thief of Bagdad (the Fairbanks one)
1930s: Twentieth Century (so many good ones from the 30s)
1940s: The Thief of Bagdad (the one with Sabu)
1950s: The Court Jester
1960s: Jason and the Argonauts (I had Samurai Rebellion here, but Jason is pure entertainment and fits well with the two Thieves and Forbidden Kingdom)
1970s: What's Up, Doc?
1980s: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1990s: Toy Story 2
2000s: The Forbidden Kingdom
2010s: Hugo

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:51 pm
Second Unit Director

1920s: The General.
1930s: L'Age d'Or.
1940s: Pinocchio.
1950s: The Wages of Fear.
1960s: Rosemary's Baby.
1970s: Apocalypse Now.
1980s: Aliens.
1990s: Dazed and Confused.
2000s: A.I. Artificial Intelligence.
2010s: The Social Network.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:11 pm
Director

unwindfilms wrote:
Forget Russell Crowe or Kevin Costner or any other, if you want to see the Robin Hood character at his best then you have to see this legendary performance from Errol Flynn. This film is a member of the Great Movie list from the late Roger Ebert.

You could make a pretty good case for this film being the best picture of the year. It's certainly better than "You Can't Take It With You." My personal choice is "Jezebel," which might well have won if everyone didn't know "Gone with the Wind" was imminent. "Pygmalion" is really good, too; otherwise, it was a really weak year; I like "Alexander's Ragtime Band," but it's not up there with Robin Hood or Jezebel.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:00 am
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

You could make a pretty good case for this film being the best picture of the year. It's certainly better than "You Can't Take It With You." My personal choice is "Jezebel," which might well have won if everyone didn't know "Gone with the Wind" was imminent. "Pygmalion" is really good, too; otherwise, it was a really weak year; I like "Alexander's Ragtime Band," but it's not up there with Robin Hood or Jezebel.

Yeah you could. It got nominated that year as best picture. Curtiz eventually won his Oscar with "Casablanca".

In other order of ideas. Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try to watch the ones that I have not seen , If I can find them in my local video rental shop (no Netflix for me yet)

Last edited by unwindfilms on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I like the decades format of your thread. I've done the same with my list. There may be an Oscar winner or two in there, but these are some of my favorites anyway.

1920s : Metropolis (1927)
Is it possible this movie would be any better as a talkie? I’m not sure. I’ve bought my way through restorations of this one and finally have what I think might be the most complete version released. If I keep myself in shape, I’ll be alive in 2027 and hope to buy a 100 year anniversary edition.

1930s: Captain Blood (1935)
Errol Flynn had to be the king in the 1930’s and this Flynn-flick had a kitchy enough title to draw me in and a solid enough story with perfect amounts of swash and buckling to keep me interested. Seeing the turnabout played with the female lead was the best.

1940s : The Egg and I (1940)
Fred Macmurray and Claudette Colbert leave big city life. He’s exuberant, but unskilled. She’s a loyal, yet skeptical and unsure wife. Together they learn and grow together and share modest successes and abysmal failures, until… Even though it is 70 years old, I’m not going to spoil it for you

1950s : The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
This one plays out as a ‘what would you do?’. British engineer POW’s can build a better bridge for the enemy, but only if you do it his (Alec Guiness’) way.
Really begs the question of pride and quality of work under duress. You want to root for somebody, but war can be damn confusing.

1960s : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
This is the longest movie I have repeat viewed NUMEROUS times. If it comes to my local cinema again, I’ll see it again. It is one of the best trifectas of story, visuals and music. This Western wasn’t your grandpa’s Western.

1970s : Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
I’m not sure who well this fits here as it is not a 1970’s film about the 1970’s. Herzog follows a failed mission to find a lost city of gold. I don’t know why I like this movie as much as I do. It is a true outlier in my normal viewing preferences. It is one of my odd favorites of this decade.

1980s : Better Off Dead (1985) -Runner up, Pee Wee's Big Adventure*
Better off Dead captures this decade for me. There is a lot going on in this quirky movie that combines so many different, yet wonderful flavors on one overloaded school lunch tray.

*Pee Wee? I've watched this many times; straight up, Tim Burton and Paul Rueben's commentary, Danny Elfman commentary... If there was a special release with more on it, I'd get it.

1990s : Forest Gump (1994)
Tom Hanks wasn’t “Big” enough to bust into my 80’s listing above, but he drawled his way into my 90’s. I’ve seen this one a LOT and when I go to ‘Bubba Gump Shrimp Company’ restaurant, I OWN the trivia.

2000s : The Lord of the Rings group
Thank you Peter Jackson for showing the world how to make a fantasy-film that excites, amuses, and entertains… me. I never liked this genre of film until I saw what could be done.

2010s : True Grit (2010)
I would almost put Skyfall here, but I have repeat watched TG far more times… I want a daughter like Mattie.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:28 pm