Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 am

Snowpiercer 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Snowpiercer
Okay, I haven't seen another topic regarding this movie, and James is apparently not going to review it, so here we are.

Apparently everyone likes this movie. I did not. I don't think I've been this far outside the mainstream since Fargo, which I absolutely hated. And just to be clear, I was really excited about seeing this movie. I WANTED to like it.

Spoilers to follow:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why didn't I like it? Many reasons. To begin, an uneven tone. It's trying to be a grittily realistic take on a dystopian future but it has elements (such as Tilda Swinton's ridiculous character and the "New Year's" celebratory crossing of the bridge during a bloody combat) just took it to a cartoon level. Especially when combined with the over-the-top violence. I realize this is based on a graphic novel, but we have to evaluate this as a movie, and there were so many aspects like that that just didn't work for me.

The Korean technician and his daughter who take them through the gates seemed really out of place. Especially the daughter. Okay, so she's a sensitive, or a psychic, or something. It's something they make a big deal of at the beginning but then completely lose track of, especially when that hitman (or whatever) is coming after them and during . . .

The finale. Holy crap. This guy is an engineer and he's going to blow the train off the tracks in the mountains? Seems like he would try to do it in a more-hospitable place (like, near a lowland city nearer the equator). And if this was his only chance to do it, shouldn't he have held off rather than condemning what's left of humanity to death?

And going with what is above, shouldn't the girl have foreseen the results of the explosion and refused to do it? Although she did seem awfully happy about seeing a polar bear right after having killed hundreds or thousands of people, so maybe she was a sociopath or something.

Also, is there any more of a beat-you-over-the-head symbolism than Chris Evans' character losing his arm at the end while saving the child? I mean, please.

It didn't seem very well paced, either. And these are just a few of the problems I had with it. Why are so many people singing its praises?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 pm
Director

Post Re: Snowpiercer
Machiara wrote:
Okay, I haven't seen another topic regarding this movie, and James is apparently not going to review it, so here we are.

Apparently everyone likes this movie. I did not. I don't think I've been this far outside the mainstream since Fargo, which I absolutely hated. And just to be clear, I was really excited about seeing this movie. I WANTED to like it.

Spoilers to follow:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why didn't I like it? Many reasons. To begin, an uneven tone. It's trying to be a grittily realistic take on a dystopian future but it has elements (such as Tilda Swinton's ridiculous character and the "New Year's" celebratory crossing of the bridge during a bloody combat) just took it to a cartoon level. Especially when combined with the over-the-top violence. I realize this is based on a graphic novel, but we have to evaluate this as a movie, and there were so many aspects like that that just didn't work for me.

The Korean technician and his daughter who take them through the gates seemed really out of place. Especially the daughter. Okay, so she's a sensitive, or a psychic, or something. It's something they make a big deal of at the beginning but then completely lose track of, especially when that hitman (or whatever) is coming after them and during . . .

The finale. Holy crap. This guy is an engineer and he's going to blow the train off the tracks in the mountains? Seems like he would try to do it in a more-hospitable place (like, near a lowland city nearer the equator). And if this was his only chance to do it, shouldn't he have held off rather than condemning what's left of humanity to death?

And going with what is above, shouldn't the girl have foreseen the results of the explosion and refused to do it? Although she did seem awfully happy about seeing a polar bear right after having killed hundreds or thousands of people, so maybe she was a sociopath or something.

Also, is there any more of a beat-you-over-the-head symbolism than Chris Evans' character losing his arm at the end while saving the child? I mean, please.

It didn't seem very well paced, either. And these are just a few of the problems I had with it. Why are so many people singing its praises?

It was playing on a TV in a Santa Monica video store yesterday; VOD? Looked pretty typical for an under the radar, lower budget sci-fi. I'm not gonna lie, I seriously thought this was Berardinelli's 4 star movie the other week when he tweeted that there would be one :lol: . Now it looks as though he may not even review it. To me, Snowpiercer looks overly-nihilistic to the point of almost being a parody of nihilism. Cinematography looks way too drab and colorless.

Do you like any other Coen films more than Fargo?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Of the ones I've seen, I probably like every other Coen movie more than Fargo. But I particularly enjoyed The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and True Grit.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 pm
Director

Machiara wrote:
Of the ones I've seen, I probably like every other Coen movie more than Fargo. But I particularly enjoyed The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and True Grit.

My top 5 Coen Brothers films:

1: Raising Arizona
2: The Big Lebowski
3: Fargo
4: No Country For Old Men
5: Miller's Crossing

As for Snowpiercer, it still has yet to be released anywhere near where I live. Fuckin Transformers and Sex Tape. Need as many screens as possible for them, so no room for Boyhood or Snowpiercer.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm
Director

Well, black humor and mood/tonal shifts are Bong Joon-ho's specialty. It didn't quite work for me with The Host (still liked it though), but completely work for me with this one, maybe because the story is crazy enough to support those sensibilities. Bong is probably the only Korean director that crosses over to Hollywood with his styles all intact, even more so than Park Chan-wook with Stoker.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 pm