Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of 
Director

Post Re: The Criterion Collection: Best and Worst Of
Maybe L'Avventura will be August or something.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:26 pm
Director

Definitely getting "A Hard Day's Night" and possibly "Picnic at Hanging Rock" (if I didn't have to ALSO buy it again on DVD, I'd say definitely for that one as well :roll: ). But, come on, Apple -- put out "Let It Be" already!!! :evil:

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 am
Assistant Director

Okay, this is what bothers me about the Criterion Collection. I get that some of the film's are really artsy and experimental. They have their audiences (I'm not among them), but seriously. Do we need a Criterion Collection release of EVERY Wes Anderson movie? I know that he is a god among the hipster crowd, but seriously. One or two is enough, especially when other worthy movies, such as Alien/Aliens, The War Zone, Once Were Warriors, Casablanca, Titanic, Lord of the Rings, All About Eve, High Noon, and so on are left without the recognition.

It seems just as corrupt as the Academy Awards: we'll recognize your movie if you're among the "in" crowd.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Director

It depends on who owns the rights to the film. Alien has never been a Criterion release because Fox has not licensed it to them. I have a feeling that if they got the opportunity, they would take it.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:09 pm
Assistant Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It depends on who owns the rights to the film. Alien has never been a Criterion release because Fox has not licensed it to them. I have a feeling that if they got the opportunity, they would take it.

Fair enough. But movies like "The War Zone" or "Confession" would jump at the chance to get their movies out there.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
complaints w/ obligatory bitch about Wes Anderson

Criterion, when they were in the business of laserdiscs, released titles such as High Noon, Blade Runner, Forbidden Planet, Shampoo, Polyester, Taxi Driver, sex, lies and videotape, The Player, Boyz in the Hood and on and on. Laserdisc players were not even a small percentage as ubiquitous as DVD players and that which was available reflected this relative scarcity. Now, with everyone and his brother owning a DVD player that can be purchased from a Walgreens for $30, the game has more players and so securing rights for something like High Noon (not to mention the cost of commentary tracks, restoration, etc.) isn't what it was when there was an elite format with an elite line. Competition does funny things.

Laserdisc players are available for pretty cheap on Ebay and there is still a lot of Criterion LDs out there in circulation, many for less than $10. I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have one and some of the selections that never got ported over to Criterion DVD. While Criterion doesn't have a DVD release for Taxi Driver, the non-Criterion DVD release is excellent enough. They may be contractually obligated to release Wes Anderson movies that apparently only hipsters are willing to lie about liking, but that doesn't mean High Noon isn't available for purchase at a reasonable cost. Sometimes the free market means everyone wins.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 am
Cinematographer

moviemkr7 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Fair enough. But movies like "The War Zone" or "Confession" would jump at the chance to get their movies out there.

Couldn't you say this about literally any movie you like that's not in the collection? Seems like a terribly misguided and shortsighted way to look at what Criterion does. Then again, they like Wes Anderson, and you have a borderline psychotic obssession with hating him/his movies/his fans, so it makes sense on some level.

Personally, I like to look at Criterion as a company (which, yes, implies they want to make money and are therfore imperfect) that legitimately cares about cinema and pushing forward important/forgotten/excellent movies. Not everything they touch is gold, and they don't touch everything that is gold, but they're one of the few film-related companies around that truly cares about film as an artform. That's a good thing, and a valuable thing for anyone interested in such things.

Those fucking hipsters, though. With their goddamned irony, organic foods, and love of centered compositions. They're ruining everything!

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am
Director

Of course, I'm a HUGE Wes Anderson fan, but I agree with moviemkr7 that there's absolutely no reason Criterion needs to release every single one of his films... especially when Fox's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" Blu-ray was already a more-than-adequate release (ditto Univesral's Blu-ray of "Moonrise Kingdom," which will no doubt also eventually get the Criterion treatment :| ). Perhaps Wes wants to be the first-ever filmmaker to have his entire filmography released by Criterion? :?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:07 am
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Of course, I'm a HUGE Wes Anderson fan, but I agree with moviemkr7 that there's absolutely no reason Criterion needs to release every single one of his films... especially when Fox's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" Blu-ray was already a more-than-adequate release (ditto Univesral's Blu-ray of "Moonrise Kingdom," which will no doubt also eventually get the Criterion treatment :| ). Perhaps Wes wants to be the first-ever filmmaker to have his entire filmography released by Criterion? :?

Agreed, i'd personally rather see another Michael Bay film get a criterion release(cmon Bad Boys 2!) then another Anderson film.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:34 am
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:

It's a fair point that I don't think many would argue against outside of a select few Anderson supporters. Those people may or may not be unhealthily attached to his movies. But to use that as a reason to write off the entirety of what Criterion does, or call them corrupt? Seems both close-minded and overreaching to me.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 pm
Cinematographer

July releases:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Director

All look great this month. I'm especially interested in the Demy collection:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Only seen Cherbough and really loved it. I also hear great things about The Young Girls of Rochefort. Have anyone seen the other four?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm
Director

I've seen Lola, the semi-prequel to Cherbourg, and it's pretty good. Great to get this Demy collection, though I won't be able to afford it.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 pm
Cinematographer

Sounds like a good time time to finally check out Scanners. I do enjoy me some Cronenberg.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:08 pm
Director

I have to say, that cover for Scanners is pretty kick-ass.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm
Assistant Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:

True. But if only the movie was that good.

Sat May 03, 2014 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

moviemkr7 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Have you seen any of the sequels?

Sat May 03, 2014 10:41 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Have you seen any of the sequels?

No. One was enough for me.

Sun May 04, 2014 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to see Brotherhood of the Wolf get a release. At least a Blu Ray release in the US.

Thu May 08, 2014 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Director

August releases:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next