Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 am

Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood? 
Post Re: Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood?
Like Uwe Boll, Bay's a director who sticks to a formula and refuses to change it no matter how many death threats he gets, and I respect him for that and the fact that he knows his strengths and dosen't try to change them in the least. I can fully understand why people hate him, you either love his brand of cinematic chaos or hate it, and I absolutely love it! :D Only film of his I didn't like that much was Pearl Harbor, but that's mainly cause I don't care all that much for war films, especially not ones with a 3 hour plus running time.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:10 am
Producer

Ugh. I hate it when people compare Bay to Boll. Boll is incompetant even at a technical level. People may not like Bay, but even his haters have to admit that his films are technically proficiant. More than you can say about Boll.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 am
I think Michael Bay would become a very accomplished director if he only knew how to properly tell an engaging story with real characters. I think we can all agree that technically and visually he is brilliant. I thought The Island was the one film where he had the chance to really break out of the mould and take in in a different action. I found the first half of the movie thoroughly engaging before it descended to another generic, action heavy chase movie.

Is he destroying Hollywood? No of course not ! Those dorks that made Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans are far more eligible candidates. Personally I just wish he had some substance to back up all that visual flair that he's so adept at creating, though I must admit... I was so blown away by the last 45 minutes of Pearl Harbour that I could almost forgive the first 120 minutes of it ;)

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:43 am
Quote:
Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood?

micheal bay is hollywood. he's a demand and supply man.

also, everything new xieland said. except i haven't seen the island.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 am
Michael Bay is (allegedly) slipping something into my drinks. No matter how much it irks my sensibilities, I must/gotta/hafta see his movies. I need rehab or something. This is what happened when I saw the theatrical trailer of Transformers 2:

"Ugh, another Michael Bay crapfest. I can't believe..." [EXPLOSIONS!] "..that he, uh..." [MEGAN FOX IN CUT-OFFS!] "...uh, keeps making this..." [ROBOTS FIGHTING! HUGE ROBOTS FIGHTING!] "..." [EXPLOSIONS!] "..June 24th, eh?"

Help me.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:32 pm
Well it's obvious that Michael Bay goes after the money with no intentions to make great art. Yet he talks to that little 12 year old boy still existing in all of us males.

I am a huge fan of "The Island". Yes it's trash, but what exactly should have been changed to turn it into a classic piece of art? I mean: the basic idea is fantastic.

Yes, he did a lot of cash-in, unnecessary remakes (past, present and future-"The Birds" - ouch!) and just simply bad movies, but he is not the only one.

Yes, he is only in it for the money (and he doesn't even lie about it) - but what about our 'favorite ' directors/producers: when did they come out the last time with a decent motion picture - being up to what they did like 20 years ago?

Hollywood sold out long ago to share holders and stock brokers (=$$$$$$$), Michael Bay is neither the cause nor the worst example.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:23 pm
Zedferret wrote:
Instead of fixing the mistakes of the first film, Bay has assumed that thats what made the film money and has doubled his efforts, and believe it or not, has also made an anti-Obama film (mentioned as the president in the film by name). Like the guy or not, i'm fed up of seeing non stop republican bile on all the blogs and new sites I ever go to, I don't need it in the cinema as well.

I've let this one percolate for a while to try to understand it, and I just can't.

I did not see the first Transformers flick. I have no intention of seeing this one. I don't have much of an opinion as to whether Michael Bay is destroying Hollywood insofar as Hollywood is what it always has been so far as I can tell, at least in terms of respecting the intelligence of the audience.

But that's not my issue. My question is, are you saying that one of the Transformers flicks is anti-Obama? If so, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd provide a bit more specificity. Heck, if either one really is a hit-piece on Obama, I'm inclined to want to see it, not out of a political interest per se (my politics are basically that I detest politics of any flavor in my art and entertainment), but simply as a matter of sociological interest.

My feelings about political flicks aside, flicks that bash Bush are predominantly uninteresting not because they're wrong but because they're a dime-a-dozen. So if you've got a mainstream Hollywood (Hollywood generally being infertile ground for Republican bile) anti-Obama flick on your hands, well, that's potentially interesting.

Has Bay gone so far as to accuse Obama of underfunding the war on morphing robots from outer space? Or perhaps Obama, in his weak-minded liberalness, refuses to waterboard one of the evil transformers, thereby facilitating the destruction of a God-fearing state like Kansas.

Can it be so?

Or am I missing something?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Well it's obvious that Michael Bay goes after the money with no intentions to make great art. Yet he talks to that little 12 year old boy still existing in all of us males.

I am a huge fan of "The Island". Yes it's trash, but what exactly should have been changed to turn it into a classic piece of art? I mean: the basic idea is fantastic.

Yes, he did a lot of cash-in, unnecessary remakes (past, present and future-"The Birds" - ouch!) and just simply bad movies, but he is not the only one.

Yes, he is only in it for the money (and he doesn't even lie about it) - but what about our 'favorite ' directors/producers: when did they come out the last time with a decent motion picture - being up to what they did like 20 years ago?

Hollywood sold out long ago to share holders and stock brokers (=$$$$$$$), Michael Bay is neither the cause nor the worst example.

The Birds remake has been cancelled...I said it before somewhere.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm
Let me say this before going down in inevitable flames: I love the internet. That's not a sarcastic love like the love one claims to have for their forthcoming colonoscopy, no no. It's genuine: I love the inadvertent subtlety the internet offers us wherever we may look.

And so...

I think it's flat out neat that people claim to hate Michael Bay and still somehow find themselves waiting in line to see his latest offering. Oh, they'll rightfully claim to have hated everything he's done (save for, usually, The Rock or The Island) but they're in line all the same, rolling their eyes before the opening credits are even a threat. If you took all those that claimed a deep loathing for a man who's bent on destroying Hollywood and took them out of the theater, refunded their tickets, the box office tally would surely drop. For the people love their Michael Bay... he is the Grendel to their Danes. They need an enemy, the people do, and Michael Bay is the safest choice. They need Michael Bay: to restore some order to the universe, to fuel those internet fires just a little further, to give people the opportunity to write "James Berardinelli was totally right!" when a negative review for a movie like Transformers 2 is about as useful as performing heart surgery on a long-dead corpse.

And, oh, how the people hate Michael Bay. They hate him so deeply and find his work so incredibly awful they'll only go see every single one of his films just once... . That there would be any question about their attending a film they know they'll hate is irrelevant: they need to see Transformers 2. To confrim their hatred, maybe, but it's just as likely they'll be there because, really, what else was there to do but see it?

So, in short, Michael Bay isn't destroying Hollywood. He doesn't have that kind of power. The people that have the power to deny Michael Bay his place are too busy funding his next endeavor when they could have spent 147 minutes sitting in a library or repaving their driveways. Free ticket, magic ticket, someone else paid... Bay got your time. That's 147 minutes endured and, when Transformers 3 rolls off the assembly line, another 147 minutes that will be joylessly experienced by the very same people that hate a man that they've elected time and again.

Even shorter: the people are destroying Hollywood. Or, as Rob Holloway said, the people get what they deserve. The people deserve Michael Bay. $200 million box office doesn't lie.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Let me say this before going down in inevitable flames: I love the internet. That's not a sarcastic love like the love one claims to have for their forthcoming colonoscopy, no no. It's genuine: I love the inadvertent subtlety the internet offers us wherever we may look.

And so...

I think it's flat out neat that people claim to hate Michael Bay and still somehow find themselves waiting in line to see his latest offering. Oh, they'll rightfully claim to have hated everything he's done (save for, usually, The Rock or The Island) but they're in line all the same, rolling their eyes before the opening credits are even a threat. If you took all those that claimed a deep loathing for a man who's bent on destroying Hollywood and took them out of the theater, refunded their tickets, the box office tally would surely drop. For the people love their Michael Bay... he is the Grendel to their Danes. They need an enemy, the people do, and Michael Bay is the safest choice. They need Michael Bay: to restore some order to the universe, to fuel those internet fires just a little further, to give people the opportunity to write "James Berardinelli was totally right!" when a negative review for a movie like Transformers 2 is about as useful as performing heart surgery on a long-dead corpse.

And, oh, how the people hate Michael Bay. They hate him so deeply and find his work so incredibly awful they'll only go see every single one of his films just once... . That there would be any question about their attending a film they know they'll hate is irrelevant: they need to see Transformers 2. To confrim their hatred, maybe, but it's just as likely they'll be there because, really, what else was there to do but see it?

So, in short, Michael Bay isn't destroying Hollywood. He doesn't have that kind of power. The people that have the power to deny Michael Bay his place are too busy funding his next endeavor when they could have spent 147 minutes sitting in a library or repaving their driveways. Free ticket, magic ticket, someone else paid... Bay got your time. That's 147 minutes endured and, when Transformers 3 rolls off the assembly line, another 147 minutes that will be joylessly experienced by the very same people that hate a man that they've elected time and again.

Even shorter: the people are destroying Hollywood. Or, as Rob Holloway said, the people get what they deserve. The people deserve Michael Bay. $200 million box office doesn't lie.

First: This post is win.

Second: I think Michael Bay is a tool.

Third: So what? I'm still going to see this movie.

Last: And why does my girlfriend want to see this more than I do?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:35 am
Damaj wrote:

Because she thinks Shia Le Boeuf is the hawtz?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Damaj wrote:

or, even more worryingly(for you), she thinks megan fox is the hawtz?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm
aameen wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Damaj wrote:

I dunno, watching 2 hot women getting into some 1-on-1 action isn't unappealing if I got to watch. ;)

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:23 pm
aameen wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Damaj wrote:

Well my female best friend would definitely be a hell of alot more interested in Fox then Le Boeuf, and I don't see anything worng with that! :twisted:

Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I dunno, watching 2 hot women getting into some 1-on-1 action isn't unappealing if I got to watch. ;)

yeah, but damaj doesn't get to watch does he? he gets to be dumped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

in this hypothetical situation, of course.

Vexer wrote:
Well my female best friend would definitely be a hell of alot more interested in Fox then Le Boeuf, and I don't see anything worng with that! :twisted:

huh?

well...

O-kkkkaaaaaayyyyy...

you do realize that there is a difference in finding out your girlfriend is a lesbian(thus ending the current relationship) and your friend fancying some other chick, where you yourself aren't even involved??

PS-there is nothing wrong with it, except for damaj's demise.
in this hypothetical situation, of course.

really..

i mean, really...

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 pm
Patrick wrote:
You know what, this topic seems to be coming up way too often. He exists, he makes movies...and this. Deal with it.

Yeah, I have to agree with you Patrick. I mean, I'll grant that I am not a fan of the guy and I've done more than my fair share of Bay-bashing (although I've sorta liked a couple of his films in the past) but do we really need three threads on the website that are dedicated to bitching about this guy? Yeah so he makes empty, soulless and often laughable actions flicks that appeal to the lowest common denominator; you know what? That is entirely his right. And with all of the obscene amounts of cash that he gets for these films, why shouldn't he? I bet that if any of us were in his position, we'd be likely doing the same thing. I probably would; I'm not gonna lie...but seriously folks, we have beaten this horse to death and then some!!!

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:26 pm
Director

Post Re: He's like Spielberg without the soul.
When you think about it there are two sides to this argument.

There is a side that can argue that Bay is destroying cinema by filling up the theaters with mindless pap that's all style no substance. And there's another side that can argue that what Bay (along with McG, Brett Ratner, Emmerich and to an extent Cameron) specializes in is popcorn movies and those have always been popular. In a way both sides are right.

Let me offer some background here. Although my all-time favorite movies list consists of what I consider to be edgy fare (Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Nashville, Do The Right Thing, Platoon, Blade Runner and so on) I don't see myself as an art-film snob. I grew up watching popcorn movies. As a kid I was into Back To The Future and Indiana Jones and as a teen I loved action movies of the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard variety. As far as Bay movies go, I liked The Rock a great deal and have a certain guilty pleasure affection for the original Bad Boys (the less said about the sequel the better).

The problem with Bay and most of his movies (aside from the 2 I just pointed out) is what seperates his work from the aforementioned Die Hard/Lethal Weapon movies or let's say the first three Indiana Jones movies. Sure those were action movies designed for the masses. But they also offered memorable characters and dialogue, things many people go to the movies for. The Transformers movies are the film equivalent of a roller coaster ride, fun while it's on. But try to remember them a few years later. While Spielberg's commercial films have a personal element to them, Bay's are over the top displays of megabuck special effects that ultimately have no soul.

Is Bay destroying Hollywood? I wouldn't say he's "destroying" it per se. But he is contributing to the dumbing down of cinema and the turning of film from an art-form into an amusement park attraction. That charge could also be leveled against numerous other directors including the aforementioned Emmerich, Ratner and McG as well as Stephen Sommers and Renny Harlin.

Uwe Boll? He's the director for people who don't get Michael Bay.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:53 pm
I have no issue with Michael Bay at all
If people actually want to see stuff like TF2 then good luck to him and his financiers
Rob

Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 am
I fail to see how Michael Bay is destroying Hollywood when Roland Emmerich makes 10,000 B.C., Rob Zombie makes House of 1000 Corpses, I Know Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is pushed upon us, others decided to endure National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, Gerard Butler signs up for Gamer and The Ugly Truth in the same year, and the worst Bay can do is say, "Oh yeah, Transformers 2 was my bad." Bay films with under-dressed/lip glossed women, too many explosions and gratuitous amounts of CGI got nothing on the true incompetence of other films that are released nowadays. Its not like Bay is attempting to aspire to anything besides what he delivers. If you ask me, attacking Bay for making stupid movies is far too easy. Bay hasn't destroyed Hollywood, Hollywood has destroyed itself.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 am
Director

JJoshay wrote:
I fail to see how Michael Bay is destroying Hollywood when Roland Emmerich makes 10,000 B.C., Rob Zombie makes House of 1000 Corpses, I Know Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is pushed upon us, others decided to endure National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, Gerard Butler signs up for Gamer and The Ugly Truth in the same year, and the worst Bay can do is say, "Oh yeah, Transformers 2 was my bad." Bay films with under-dressed/lip glossed women, too many explosions and gratuitous amounts of CGI got nothing on the true incompetence of other films that are released nowadays. Its not like Bay is attempting to aspire to anything besides what he delivers. If you ask me, attacking Bay for making stupid movies is far too easy. Bay hasn't destroyed Hollywood, Hollywood has destroyed itself.

Blaming hollywood is the best reasoning. Ever since Jaws, Hollywood has focused on the summer as a way to bring money to their studios. 35 years later, every month is a cash grab for Hollywood. A perfect example of the evils of Hollywood grabbing dumb audiences for their movies: Epic Movie, a $20 million budget that grossed $86 million dollars worldwide.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 am
Profile YIM