Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 am

Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood? 
Post Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood?
I've Just seen Transformers 2. I can't wait for JB to tear this one a new arsehole.

Michael Bay cannot direct, he advertises. He gets a few commercially good effects sequences, and string them together with no plot or story and 3 or 4 Maguffins a deux ex-machina or too and make it all a bit louder (he turns it up to eleven). Sad thing is it will make a fortune.

All you get in this film is leery shots of Fox's body (all through the film), sex jokes (all through the film), explosions, oh so many of them, and robots hitting each other. No robot advances the plot, the just fight, jive talk, monologue or confuse you with exposition(!). Characters appear and dissapear with no explanation, geography is a mere afterthought (apparently Petra, Giza and Aquaba are the same place). It would be so utterly predictable, if it were not so incomprehensible. When all else fails, there is the deux ex machina of the Transformers technology which can save the day.

I will never again put another dime in Bay's pocket. At least the first film had a start and an end. This was a visual event, not a film, better suited to a theme park than a cinema, and after Wolverine and Terminator, I'm hoping for a proper film in Public Enemies, so I can remember what a story actually is...

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 am
Post Re: Is Michael Bay Destroying Hollywood?
I completely understand where you are coming from, but the thing is, that because the film is so polished (beautiful people, big explosions, louder, faster, stronger) it inclines people to go because of how extreme the escapism of it all is. For example, the trailer, whether or not I like to admit it, carried me directly out of the theater and into the life of everyone in the movie. Just wanted to play Devils Advocate for you :mrgreen:

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Nope, Michael Bay is just another director. If there's anyone destroying hollywood, it's us the audience who pay money to watch his films.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:35 am
Man do I hate it when people ask questions like this! Your just gonna have to face the facts, people like Bay will ALWAYS exist, and frankly I see that as a good thing, his films are pure Mindless fun, I mean I don't why poeple are so surprised, you should know exactly what to expect from Bay by now, I like Bay more then alot of critically aclaimed directors honestly, like say Steven Soderburgh.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 am
Zedferret wrote:
I've Just seen Transformers 2. I can't wait for JB to tear this one a new arsehole.

Michael Bay cannot direct, he advertises. He gets a few commercially good effects sequences, and string them together with no plot or story and 3 or 4 Maguffins a deux ex-machina or too and make it all a bit louder (he turns it up to eleven). Sad thing is it will make a fortune.

All you get in this film is leery shots of Fox's body (all through the film), sex jokes (all through the film), explosions, oh so many of them, and robots hitting each other. No robot advances the plot, the just fight, jive talk, monologue or confuse you with exposition(!). Characters appear and dissapear with no explanation, geography is a mere afterthought (apparently Petra, Giza and Aquaba are the same place). It would be so utterly predictable, if it were not so incomprehensible. When all else fails, there is the deux ex machina of the Transformers technology which can save the day.

I will never again put another dime in Bay's pocket. At least the first film had a start and an end. This was a visual event, not a film, better suited to a theme park than a cinema, and after Wolverine and Terminator, I'm hoping for a proper film in Public Enemies, so I can remember what a story actually is...

I will be one of the first to tell you that Bay produces/directs nothing but Hollywood pap for the masses. But I'm actually going to also *DEFEND* his work in Transformers 2 for a couple of reasons:

1) This is a film based on a TOY LINE, so quite frankly I don't know why people expect haute cinema here. The very premise lends itself only to pure park-your-brain-at-the-door entertainment, especially for those adults who go to see it given that the films are aimed at kids (too).

2) Bay isn't pretentious in his work- he knows he's got a formula that makes money for himself and his execs, so he doesn't mess with it. His films almost always feature hot babes and testosterone-pumped men- yes, even Transformers (hence Josh Duhamel's role). Bay doesn't presume to try to make us think that he's giving us something more than what I just mentioned. You either like his stuff, tolerate it, or spit on it as well as on his parents for conceiving him.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:

2) Bay isn't pretentious in his work- he knows he's got a formula that makes money for himself and his execs, so he doesn't mess with it. His films almost always feature hot babes and testosterone-pumped men- yes, even Transformers (hence Josh Duhamel's role). Bay doesn't presume to try to make us think that he's giving us something more than what I just mentioned. You either like his stuff, tolerate it, or spit on it as well as on his parents for conceiving him.

Rubbish. A decent movie CAN be made with this material. A bit more thought, a proper storyline, a little less of 'LOOK AT THIS BOYS' and leching over all the women in the film, and a film could be made for other audiences AS WELL AS teenage boys. This film is review proof, Bay could have put out an art film and it'll still make $300 mil. Instead of fixing the mistakes of the first film, Bay has assumed that thats what made the film money and has doubled his efforts, and believe it or not, has also made an anti-Obama film (mentioned as the president in the film by name). Like the guy or not, i'm fed up of seeing non stop republican bile on all the blogs and new sites I ever go to, I don't need it in the cinema as well.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:38 pm
Zedferret wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Rubbish. A decent movie CAN be made with this material. A bit more thought, a proper storyline, a little less of 'LOOK AT THIS BOYS' and leching over all the women in the film, and a film could be made for other audiences AS WELL AS teenage boys. This film is review proof, Bay could have put out an art film and it'll still make $300 mil. Instead of fixing the mistakes of the first film, Bay has assumed that thats what made the film money and has doubled his efforts, and believe it or not, has also made an anti-Obama film (mentioned as the president in the film by name). Like the guy or not, i'm fed up of seeing non stop republican bile on all the blogs and new sites I ever go to, I don't need it in the cinema as well.

The first film made money, so if Bay goes on the whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." approach, can one really blame him? As long as it makes money, execs don't give a damn what sort of message it sends. It's mindless summer blockbuster fare- it's definitely not art as we'd like to think of the term, but it makes studios money, so they'll keep pumping them out. As I said in an earlier thread: "Why ask why?".

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm
You know what, this topic seems to be coming up way too often. He exists, he makes movies...and this. Deal with it.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:53 pm
yes, he is destroying it.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:20 pm
We get what we deserve :cry:
Rob

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:49 pm
yes he is but what's new? as long as people keep eating crap they will be served more crap

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:02 pm
There's obviously a market out for films like Transformers 2. Personally I don't blame Bay as the entire idea's pretty stupid. It's not something that I'd pay to go watch but if you enjoy films like these than hey more power to you. Personally I really liked The Rock, a movie that he did almost ten years ago.

Having said that I really do not understand why people complain and bitch every time Bay releases a new movie. Sure his movies are dumb, loud and stupid, but they also have stellar production value and any 12 year olds out there will love the hell out of Transformers 2.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:22 pm
new_xieland wrote:
There's obviously a market out for films like Transformers 2. Personally I don't blame Bay as the entire idea's pretty stupid. It's not something that I'd pay to go watch but if you enjoy films like these than hey more power to you. Personally I really liked The Rock, a movie that he did almost ten years ago.

Having said that I really do not understand why people complain and bitch every time Bay releases a new movie. Sure his movies are dumb, loud and stupid, but they also have stellar production value and any 12 year olds out there will love the hell out of Transformers 2.

Actually, he did that movie back in 1996, but I'll agree that it's one of his better flicks.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:42 pm
I've never had any particular hatred for Bay, I liked 'The Rock', Will Smith saves 'Bad Boys' at 'Armageddon' I started to notice the 'Its a movie, turn your brain off' thing, 'Pearl Harbor' and 'BB2' I didn't like, 'The Island' had a good idea, badly executed, and Transformers was rescued by my own nostalgia (I was a child of the 80's). With TF2 (I apologise I forgot it has been released in the UK first!?) its like he's taken all the things I dislike about his directing and placed them all in one film. I know I should have expected it, but I thought the first one was OK. By the way I see at least 2 movies a week, with a cinemapass, so its not like I was putting money in Bay's pocket. I'll say more after JB has reviewed it and a few more people have see it, but in my opinion, its Pirates 3 bad...!

My guess, JB will give it a solid one star.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm
When I see names like Jerry Bruckheimer or Michael Bay attached to a movie, that always translates as "Avoid this movie" to me, and so I do. I don't begrudge his movies being made and released - if these movies weren't made by Bay, someone else would be doing it.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:03 pm
No, because people WANT to watch his stuff. I've hated much of his work, but there's no denying that a lot of people love it. Why? I don't know, but there are a lot of different types of movies out there. Some people like Wes Anderson, some like Scorcese, others Michael Bay. I'm not going to see TF2, but a LOT of people are. Don't begrudge Michael Bay for it. Hollywood will be fine.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Wouldn't it be far kinder simply to send up to our rooms without supper?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm
iscariot wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Wouldn't it be far kinder simply to send up to our rooms without supper?

Only as long as the windows in our bedrooms are locked, and our allowance is cut off.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:18 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Patrick wrote:
You know what, this topic seems to be coming up way too often. He exists, he makes movies...and this. Deal with it.

and this too.

Look, Michael Bay is someone who allegedly spent his childhood blowing up his train sets while filming them. and then he went on to make Music Videos like the one above. And then he make movies like Bad Boys, The Rock and so on. There's nothing in his almost 2 decades worth of filmography that suggest he intends to be versatile or give a damn about what his critics think. His films reflect that he never try to be anything more than who he truly is.

So having another round of attack on him is a waste of time. His films will gross a lot and he will make the same movies like he always does and while the internet keeps on hating him, the audience will still flock to watch his films. We get what we deserve. So instead of attacking him again and again, why don't we spend more time talking about something else (e.g Rob's Cinematic Journey)

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:48 am
Producer

He tried to make a "serious" movie with Pearl Harbor but it felt phony. I actually enjoyed Pearl Harbor but as a guilty pleasure. I mean, Ben and Josh play chicken with the japs. It's hysterical! But not good if you look at it from a serious stand point.

Michael Bay will never be in danger of even being nominated for an oscar let alone to actually win one. But I also usually enjoy most of his movies. Often times they are too long. Even his best movie, The Rock, could use some trimming. And I wish he could film a scene where the camera stays on something/someone for longer than 20 seconds. But his movies are generally very entertaining to me. I'm not gonna lie. I loved Armageddon. The Bad Boys movies are fun. So was The Island. Infact, the only movie of his I outright didn't like was Transformers. And probably the sequel as well.

I think he makes movies for the masses and I think audiences like his movies or else they wouldn't always be such huge hits, The Island aside.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 am