Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 am

Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman? 
Assistant Director

Post Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman?
It has been reported that Jaimie Alexander (The actress who plays Sif in Thor) is in talks to plays Wonder Woman and after seeing her in the Thor World premiere she has my blessing 8-)
What do you think?

If you do not like her then do you have another alternate actress to play Wonder Woman?

Attachments:
Jaimie.jpg
Jaimie.jpg [ 54.36 KiB | Viewed 1370 times ]

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: Jaimie Alexander as Wonder Woman?
That's going to be a tough project, IMO. I don't know how many men and boys you'd get to the theater compared to the other DC heroes; hopefully there's enough female interest to make it profitable. (With that said, I did go see the first 2 Tomb Raider movies when they came out, but I sat out Catwoman and Aeon Flux.)

Nice picture though. Great dress and nice Harley-Davidson parked behind her. (I used to work for H-D; it was the second thing I noticed in the photo after about 5 seconds.)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm
Assistant Director

Johnny Larue wrote:
That's going to be a tough project, IMO. ..

I think that the talks are related to a cameo introductory character in the next Superman/Batman movie (2015) plus an expanded role for the Justice League movie. A solo Wonder Woman film would be very far ahead at this point and it would depend of the success of the ones mentioned.

Anyway here is another angle of Jaimie in the Thor premiere in the US

Attachments:
Jamie2.jpg
Jamie2.jpg [ 60.28 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Director

All I can say is...... Giggity Giggity.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:55 pm
Producer

Not tall enough, not big enough. I can't vouch for her acting.

But hell, at least they're not "in talks" with some pampered, delicate Hollywood starlet, which has been known to happen in the past.

The real test is whether or not they understand the character well enough to portray her in a compelling way. Ever since the '50s, her essential characteristics were nerfed and I don't think she ever really recovered. People forgot how to write her in the era of Leave It To Beaver gender roles. Comics have more or less remained stuck there.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:41 pm
Producer

This thread needs more pics! ;)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Not tall enough, not big enough. I can't vouch for her acting.

But hell, at least they're not "in talks" with some pampered, delicate Hollywood starlet, which has been known to happen in the past.

The real test is whether or not they understand the character well enough to portray her in a compelling way. Ever since the '50s, her essential characteristics were nerfed and I don't think she ever really recovered. People forgot how to write her in the era of Leave It To Beaver gender roles. Comics have more or less remained stuck there.

Jaimie is 5' 9" (1.75 m) which slighter less than the reported 6' (1.82 m) for Wonder Woman

In regarding acting, she looked tough in Thor and Thor 2 (See picture) , I also liked her in the TV series Kyle XY

The writing tip might be for Goyer or whoever writes the movie screenplay and you can not pin that on Jaimie yet, at least until we get to see her performance (If it happens)

Who would be your choice, Ken?

Cheers

Attachments:
sif-thor-2.jpg
sif-thor-2.jpg [ 37.71 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

ilovemovies wrote:
This thread needs more pics! ;)

Well answering petitions, another pic from Jaimie Alexander

Attachments:
jaimie-alexander.jpg
jaimie-alexander.jpg [ 23.74 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Before Thor I had never even heard of her before, she seems like an OK choice, though I personally would've gone with someone like say Jennifer Garner.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm
Producer

Wonder Woman's height tends to vacillate. She's always tall. Sometimes she's taller than Batman. The point is that she's an Amazon. It's not enough to be beautiful--she has to be imposing.

I wouldn't go for anyone who's already famous. A talent search would be best.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:02 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Before Thor I had never even heard of her before, she seems like an OK choice, though I personally would've gone with someone like say Jennifer Garner.

Jennifer Gardner is even a bit shorter than Jaimie now she could do it but I think that she is old already

The other choice rumored is Olga Kurylenko althought Jaimie looks the forerunner , she even tweeted an image as Wonder Woman

I personally liked her performance as Sif in Thor (she has more screen time there than in Thor 2) and would like to see her play Wonder Woman until I see a better option ;)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I don't think Garner would do it. It'll probably bring too much of a connection to Elektra especially since Ben Affleck is playing Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:24 am
Auteur

If not her, then I would say Charlize Theron or Eliza Dushku.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
If not her, then I would say Charlize Theron or Eliza Dushku.

Nice suggestions, my opinion on them is that Theron has the acting chops and is closer to 6' in height but like Gardner is getting old for this role. Eliza Dushku is too short

It is very hard to find a good actress 6' or taller but Jaimie has the Wonder Woman look and toughness and with a height of 5' 9" is almost perfect for the role

Attachments:
JaimieSif.JPG
JaimieSif.JPG [ 17.62 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]
JaimieWonderWoman.JPG
JaimieWonderWoman.JPG [ 40.68 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The debate is about if she's tall enough?! John Rhys-Davies is 6'1" and played a dwarf.

The debate should be about whether this movie is DOA. Wasn't somebody just mentioning superhero fatigue? I think comparisons to Lone Ranger would be valid.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 am
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
The debate is about if she's tall enough?! John Rhys-Davies is 6'1" and played a dwarf.

The debate should be about whether this movie is DOA. Wasn't somebody just mentioning superhero fatigue? I think comparisons to Lone Ranger would be valid.

That was a western though, and those aren't nearly as popular now as they were 20 years ago, so it really wasn't suprising at all that it bombed. I don't really see how the comparison is valid as superhero films have been very succesful this year, with Iron Man 3 being the top film at the box office so far, so I think it'll take quite a long time for fatigue to set in with comic book adaptions.

Personally I don't think it really matters how short or tall an actress is, like others mentioned, Wonder Woman's height is rather inconsistent, so it really wouldn't be inaccurrate to have a shorter actress play her.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 pm
Second Unit Director

I don’t see an audience thirsty for a female superhero any more than one that was thirsty for a western. I could be wrong, but this whole thing could go a Catwoman direction. It’s too bad it is so far off, we could make a guess-the-opening-weekend-take game out of it.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 pm
Auteur

Awf Hand wrote:
I don’t see an audience thirsty for a female superhero any more than one that was thirsty for a western. I could be wrong, but this whole thing could go a Catwoman direction. It’s too bad it is so far off, we could make a guess-the-opening-weekend-take game out of it.

I don't think Catwoman failed simply because it was a female-oriented film, it was originally supposed to be a very different film that did not bear the name of the comic. Besides it's been many years since then, I believe a Wonder Woman film could be quite succesful.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 pm
Producer

Exactly. Catwoman didn't fail because it was a female (anti)superhero. Catwoman failed because it was ridiculous and shitty.

I'm going out on a limb and say that people would be ga-ga over a Wonder Woman movie if it were done well. Not an Iron Man 3 or a Man of Steel, but done well. Take it from Joss Whedon: female heroes who are well-written and strong get a great response, not just from female audience members, but from just about everybody.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:29 pm
Auteur

Ken wrote:
Exactly. Catwoman didn't fail because it was a female (anti)superhero. Catwoman failed because it was ridiculous and shitty.

I'm going out on a limb and say that people would be ga-ga over a Wonder Woman movie if it were done well. Not an Iron Man 3 or a Man of Steel, but done well. Take it from Joss Whedon: female heroes who are well-written and strong get a great response, not just from female audience members, but from just about everybody.

Catwoman is admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine but I would definitely be in favor of Whedon penning a Wonder Woman film.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:49 pm