Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 am

Best quotes/dialogues of 2012 
Second Unit Director

Post Best quotes/dialogues of 2012
We already have a thread dedicated to the best films and scenes of 2012. So I thought why not have one for our favorite quotes/dialogue sequences as well.

Argo (I have lots more from this film but for your sake, I will post two of my favorites.)

Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) - "There are only bad options. It's about finding the best one."

Jack O'Donnel (Bryan Cranston) - "I am not gonna leave him at the airport with six people and his dick in his hand. You tell the director to call the White House. Do your fucking job!"

Perfect Sense (Final dialogue stretch in the film.)

Narrator: "It's dark now... but they feel each other's breath... and they know all they need to know. They kiss... and they feel each other's tears on their cheeks. And if there had been anybody left to see them, then they would look like normal lovers caressing each other's faces... ...bodies close together... eyes closed... ...oblivious to the world around them. Because that is how life goes on. Like that."

Perks of Being a Wallflower

Charlie Kelmeckis (Logan Lerman): "And you're listening to that song on that drive... with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear... we are infinite." (as David Bowie's Heroes is being played)

Zero Dark Thirty

Maya (Jessica Chastain): "A hundred percent he's there. Okay, fine, 95 percent 'cause I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's a hundred." (In other films this might have been a bit OTT, but it just felt perfect here.)

Lincoln

President Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis): "I am the President of the United States of America, clothed in immense power! You will procure me these votes." (For me, this was the moment Daniel Day-Lewis morphed into President Abraham Lincoln.)

Skyfall (Lots. But I loved this exchange between M and Bond that proved to me that James Bond was well and truly back.)

M: "I'm not hiding in there, if that's your brilliant plan."
Bond: "We're changing vehicles."
M: "Trouble with company cars is they have trackers."
M: "Oh, and I suppose that's completely inconspicuous." (Looking at the Aston Martin DB5)
Bond: "Get in."
M: "It's not very comfortable, is it?"
Bond: "Are you gonna complain the whole way?"
M: "Oh, go on then, eject me. See if I care."

Moonrise Kingdom (So many quotable ones from this as well.)

Ft. Lebanon Khaki Scout: Well, where would you build it?
Scout Master Ward (Edward Norton): I would build it....lower!

Suzy (Kara Hayward): "Was he a good dog?"
Sam (Jared Gilman): "Who's to say. But he didn't deserve to die."

Mrs. Bishop (Frances McDormand): Does it concern you that your daughter's just run away from home?
Mr. Bishop (Bill Murray): That's a loaded question.

The Avengers

Captain America (Chris Evans): "Yeah. Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?"
Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.): "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best quotes/dialogues of 2012
Looper Joe: "Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it."

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm
Critic

Jackie Cogan: My friend, Thomas Jefferson is an American saint because he wrote the words 'All men are created equal', words he clearly didn't believe since he allowed his own children to live in slavery. He's a rich white snob who's sick of paying taxes to the Brits. So, yeah, he writes some lovely words and aroused the rabble and they went and died for those words while he sat back and drank his wine and fucked his slave girl. This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fuckin' pay me.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Man in Suit: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,"
Mr Oscar: "And what if there's no more beholder?"

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Man in Suit: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,"
Mr Oscar: "And what if there's no more beholder?"

There are three good moments like that, I just can't remember what they are. I think I'ma buy it in the next week or so because that was a unique viewing experience that I'd like to relive at least once more.

My personal favorite from Moonrise Kingdom:

Cousin Ben: "I can't offer you a legally binding union. It won't hold up in the state, the county, or frankly, any courtroom in the world, due to your age, lack of a license, and failure to get parental consent. But the ritual does carry a very important moral weight within yourselves. You can't enter into the contract lightly."

For me, it was that moment where, as a viewer, I experienced something clearly fictional (the marriage of two twelve-year-olds) and it transcended reality. The rules of the movie were the rules of real life. Then he gets struck by lightning. Brilliant.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm
Cinematographer

Freddie Quell: What do you do?
Lancaster Dodd: I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Lancaster Dodd: If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

From The Avengers:

Quote:
Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by...
[Hulk flattens Loki with repeated smashes into the floor]
The Hulk: Puny god!

From Dredd:

Quote:
Dredd: You're giving us two options. Defend or Hide?
Anderson: Yes Sir
Dredd: What about we attack head straight for Ma-Ma
Anderson: Is that an option?
Dredd: Well, she's guilty. We're judges
Anderson: With back-up inbound, we should wait until the odds have shifted in our favour
Dredd: - Do not speak -
Anderson: Wrong answer?
Dredd: You are the psychic!

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Jackie Cogan: My friend, Thomas Jefferson is an American saint because he wrote the words 'All men are created equal', words he clearly didn't believe since he allowed his own children to live in slavery. He's a rich white snob who's sick of paying taxes to the Brits. So, yeah, he writes some lovely words and aroused the rabble and they went and died for those words while he sat back and drank his wine and fucked his slave girl. This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fuckin' pay me.

This speech really deserved better than to be at the end of a heavy handed, subpar movie. It's a really smart rant, but in the context of the movie it was the final straw in a movie that insists to outwardly state its theme after beating you over the head with it repeatedly throughout the previous 95 minutes.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

This speech really deserved better than to be at the end of a heavy handed, subpar movie. It's a really smart rant, but in the context of the movie it was the final straw in a movie that insists to outwardly state its theme after beating you over the head with it repeatedly throughout the previous 95 minutes.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's definitely the highlight of the movie, but by that point it's just too little too late. It's as if it was the first line of dialogue written, and the author's like "This is brilliant!! ...oh shit... now I have to write the rest of this damn thing."

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am
Second Unit Director

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. It's definitely the highlight of the movie, but by that point it's just too little too late. It's as if it was the first line of dialogue written, and the author's like "This is brilliant!! ...oh shit... now I have to write the rest of this damn thing."

This is exactly how I felt as well. If every conversation between Jackie and Richard Jenkins' character had bristled with the same energy, smartness, and irony, then Dominik would've really had one of the best films of 2012 on his hands. As it is, almost all of the conversations were forgettable and were padded out with a lot of stylish scenes which were great to look at but of little value otherwise. It was still a nicely done film, but I was totally let down.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Forgot before this one from Argo

Quote:
Lester Siegel: Argo f@#k yourself!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Director

I think Cloud Atlas has quite a few of these. But off the top of my head I thought "What is an ocean but a multitude of drops?" and many of Sonmi 451 monologues, especially the ones towards the end when her monologues are intercut with montages from different stories.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 am
Producer

The Grey: "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."

The Avengers:

Hulk: Puny god.

Nick Fury: "How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me VERY desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

Hawkeye: "You and I remember Budapest VERY differently!"

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 am
Cinematographer

Another from The Avengers:

Thor - "You have no idea what you're dealing with."
Iron Man - "Shakespeare in the park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 am
Critic

From Cloud Atlas:

Archivist: What if no one believes you?
Sonmi-451: Someone already does.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 am
Producer

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

Moonrise Kingdom (So many quotable ones from this as well.)

Ft. Lebanon Khaki Scout: Well, where would you build it?
Scout Master Ward (Edward Norton): I would build it....lower!."

I liked that too. It was a poignant reminder of how hopes and expectations can be progressively lowered in the journey from childhood to adulthood.

Scout Master Ward was a sad person. In fact, so were all the adults in that film.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I must add...

Captain Sharp:That's very eloquent. I can't argue against anything you're saying. But then again, I don't have to, 'cause you're 12 years old. Look, let's face it, you're probably a much more intelligent person than I am. In fact, I guarantee it. But even smart kids stick they're finger in electrical sockets sometimes. It takes time to figure things out. It's been proven by history. All mankind makes mistakes. It's our job to try to protect you from making the dangerous ones, if we can. We want a slug?

Fucking loved it man...Bruce Willis exposing himself like that (I don't know that I've ever seen him like that). He's telling us the difference between wisdom and education, but putting it in a way that a 12 year old understands. Then he gives him some beer. Brilliant. (*wink* Pedro)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 am