Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:52 am

Orange is the new black 
Producer

Post Orange is the new black
Watched the first 2 episodes of this last weekend. Pretty good so far.

Will keep the site updated on any revelations I have

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 am
Producer

Post Re: Orange is the new black
18 episodes into this now, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it.

It's not Breaking Bad/6 Feet Under level stuff, but it certainly ain't Grey's Anatomy either. There are some episodes that don't flow, and a handful of characters that the writers seem unsure on how to best develop, but what this programme does seem to be doing is getting better as it goes along. Which is obviously a sign that bodes well for the future.

At this moment (about half way into series 2), it's cruising quite comfortably along in 8/10 mode.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
18 episodes into this now, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it.

It's not Breaking Bad/6 Feet Under level stuff, but it certainly ain't Grey's Anatomy either. There are some episodes that don't flow, and a handful of characters that the writers seem unsure on how to best develop, but what this programme does seem to be doing is getting better as it goes along. Which is obviously a sign that bodes well for the future.

At this moment (about half way into series 2), it's cruising quite comfortably along in 8/10 mode.

So I take it you're a fan of Six Feet Under? There is literally no love for that show on this forum and I'll be fucked before I ever know why? The greatest drama/black comedy television series I've ever seen. One of the few shows that peaked on it's fifth and final season, and that finale is the best of the best. The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad I'd rate a little higher, (The Wire in a whole different league really) but Six Feet Under is the drama that feels the most realistic to me. How it can juggle so seamlessly black comedy with the most intense drama in nearly every episode is a credit to Alan Ball and his writing team. Will start Luther this week, Wimbledon took away plenty of free time.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:08 pm
Producer

Yeah, I've mentioned a few times - I love 6 Feet Under. I rank it alongside Breaking Bad as best drama ever. Even above The Sopranos (which I do love also).

It's incredible. Everything about it, Writing, acting, characters, how the recurring theme of death in each episode lends perspective to their lives. It's fucking genius.

I actually let myself down with it. I watched it too quickly. Throughout its TV reign (01-05) I watched a probably 10 episodes across the whole show. Problem was, it started off at something like 10:30pm on a Thursday, but eventually got pushed back to damn near midnight. And I worked early shifts for a while during those years. in Summer 2010 I watched it all on DVD, but I crammed too much in (typically 3 episodes a night) that I feel I didn't stop and smell the roses. Still loved it, just I overkilled it at times.

Subsequently I've caught the odd random episode again on TV, and wow, it's off the scale good. The equal of Breaking Bad, sometimes better.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Luther. It's as subtle as a monster truck rally

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 am
Director

I've been watching this too, and I think it is really, really good. The actors especially are great; I like how they have managed to get you to have some sympathy for characters who for the most part aren't good people. So yeah, a good mix of comedy and drama. I like it.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 am
Assistant Director

Just finished watching Season 2. Not as strong as Season 1 imo, due to a loss of focus - this season is far less about Piper's experiences and more about everyone else (and there are a LOT of everyone elses), especially the rivalry between Captain Janeway, err Red, and Vee.
Nonetheless, it's still a good solidly acted drama.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:03 pm