It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Justified 
Producer

Post Justified
Can anyone offer me a review?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 am
Director

Post Re: Justified
I haven't read a single Elmore Leonard book, but those who have and also watch the show all say that it is a very great translation of his works' spirit.

As for my view, the show is great fun and very much worth a watch. At the heart is the frenemy relationship between the two leads, played with great performances and dynamics by Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins. The first half of season 1 maybe tends to go towards situation-of-the-week a bit much, although they are executed very well and with style. After that, I think this is one of the rare shows that have a perfect blend of weekly conflicts and overarching arc. Season 2 and 4 are among my favorite TV seasons, with the reason that the former has the phenomenal Margo Martindale, and the latter one has great plotting and tension.

Here is how I would score them:

Season 1 - 8
Season 2 - 9
Season 3 - 8.5 (a case of too much of a good thing; so many quality characters and guest stars vying for screentime and story, but it never stop being fun)
Season 4 - 9.5

The current Season 5 is a bit...loose, with something I can't quite nail. Just something not coming together, maybe needing that one episode to snap its focus (right now I'm having its score at 8). But like all seasons, it's still so much fun week to week.

They also announce that Season 6 will be the last season, so this will be one show that doesn't overstay its welcome and goes out on its own way.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 am
Producer

Thanks for that, Peng.

All duly noted.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 am
Second Unit Director

Funny you bring this up. I've got a friend who think's this is right up there with The Wire, The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, my three favorite shows. His taste is pretty similar to mine, so I tried downloading it recently but the first episode won't play. Been wandering past JB Hi Fi and asking myself if it's worth $20 for the opening season? Just finished the first season of Ray Donovan which was flawed yet still excellent. Jon Voight is a real spook and Liev Schreiber is lucky enough have to be gifted the role he was born to play. Like to have a fresh televison series going at all times so this is next on the list.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am
Producer

It boggles my mind that this show doesn't get any Emmy love! I mean, Margo Martindale won in season 2 and Jeremy Davies got a best guest actor nomination, and I think Timothy Olyphant was nominated once, along time ago, same with Walton Goggins. But it hasn't gotten anything for along time.

Both Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins should have won at least once, if not more. Neal McDonough should have gotten a nomination for his terrific work in season 3. And last year I was disappointed when Jim Beaver failed to get nominated in the best guest actor category.

One of my absolute favorite shows on right now. I just love it. I love the characters, the dialog, the performances, the story. Sometimes, like last year, it takes a while for the show to get going, but I'm fine with that since I just love spending time with these characters.

My ratings for each season:

Season 1: 9/10
Season 2: 8/10
Season 3: 9/10
Season 4: 8/10
Season 5 (so far): 8/10, but I'm sure it'll go up as the season continues to roll on

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 am
Producer

I watched S1E1 last night, pretty good. Had to adjust my ears the colloquial use of language, but I'll stick with it.

Wisey, Series 1-4 are on the UK version of Netflix. I take it the Aus version is different?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:50 am
Director

You have me recalled how awesome the episode's opening and ending (in which the characters talked tensely to each other sitting down) are.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:17 am