Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 am

Roots Remake 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Roots Remake
It was announced a while back that they were going to remake roots. This time around though instead of 16 hours they will knock it down to around 8 hours and make it more contemporary. Unless they try to do documentary style reenactment i don't think it would work.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Roots Remake
I think this post just hit on something else I like more about television than about films on the big screen: less fucking remakes/reboots/sequels/etc. One of my favorite shows (Game of Thrones) is an adaptation, but it does enough deviating from the source material to qualify itself as a good original show, IMO. It really seems like the fresher writing out of Hollywood is showing up on the smaller screen.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:21 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Maybe they will continue with the iconic music.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:38 pm
Director

... and you just KNOW, in this ridiculously overly hypersensitive PC environment, they're going to totally water it down. :roll:

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
... and you just KNOW, in this ridiculously overly hypersensitive PC environment, they're going to totally water it down. :roll:

I highly doubt that, if anything it's probably going to be more graphic then the original.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:23 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I highly doubt that, if anything it's probably going to be more graphic then the original.

I dunno... 12 Years a Slave: The Series?? :| It all depends on what network will be airing it, I suppose. it may be more graphic, but will it be as emotionally resonant as the original (which aired on broadcast TV, mind you... though even today they probably couldn't even get away with that :? )?

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:18 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I dunno... 12 Years a Slave: The Series?? :| It all depends on what network will be airing it, I suppose. it may be more graphic, but will it be as emotionally resonant as the original (which aired on broadcast TV, mind you... though even today they probably couldn't even get away with that :? )?

Somehow I don't see this being aired on any of the non-cable networks, it would fit better on HBO, FX or AMC.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:22 pm